• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Five Mexico players test positive for banned substance

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theswordsman said:
This journalist claims that he was told there were actually 12 Mexican soccer players, not 5, who tested positive for Clenbuterol on May 21. He cites the source as saying that the others weren't named because they had less than .5 nanograms (500 picograms) of Clenbuterol, which "isn't considered doping". That's ten times the amount Contador had, by the way. I don't know if it's true, but if it is, I hope it comes out, because twelve athletes at one national dining hall testing positive the same day would be a huge story, as in WADA would have problems defending the lack of a minimum threshold.

http://impreso.milenio.com/node/8978489
How would a threshold help? If they set 500 picograms as the threshold, that still means 5 players get suspended because their bodies don't eliminate clen as fast as their 7 mates.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the only way i can explain this strange news, provided it's true, that 500 pg/ml was the cut-off level, there could be some unofficial interim threshold established for the time being or, more likely, that the ucla lab's detection method saw something but could not reliably estimate the concentration below 500 pg/ml.

the former in my view is highly unlikely whilst the latter is feasible - see contador's case infamous 'news' with '4 positives' when cologne lab seemed to face a similar situation.

to avoid getting to technical or speculative, i'll just leave it at that.

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I happen to be a large meat eater. For the proteins, it just works such miracles to my body.

Have you tried the grain (actually a seed) Quinoa? It's a complete protein, NASA is into it for space food because it's a perfect protein. The Aztecs noticed that the warriors who ate it had far better endurance than those who didn't. Anyways, you should try that stuff, I've noticed improvements since switching to a high quinoa diet, and I don't have to kill any cute creatures to make myself ride faster :D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Mods - could we possibly add "clenbuterol" to the title. There doesn't seem to be much action here, and this could end up being a big deal. Thanks.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter said in Mexico City that he supports the five Mexican soccer players. But the Mexican Federation had a surprise for him in the paperwork. He didn't confirm that there were seven additional players, or the bit about them having less than .5 Ng of Clenbuterol, which in someone's mind meant they weren't doping. But he does acknowledge there were more than five players with Clenbuterol in their tests at the High Performance Center on May 21 Google Translation:

"It was naturally a surprise, but when we received the documents and especially after speaking with our chief medical issues, we have seen are 5 players who are in a difficult situation, but other players have the same product set (clenbuterol ). It is a difficult subject, a highly topical issue when it comes to doping, but the Mexican Football Federation is going to take all measures and are available to help, because the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) addresses these issues, "said .

http://www.laaficion.com/noticias/77728-blatter-expres-su-apoyo-los-dopados-del-tri

The link is apparently dead, not sure how to interpret that statement, whether the other players had lower levels of CB. If they're all claiming to have eaten the same meat, then large differences in CB levels don't look good.

Meanwhile, not sure if this has been posted:

SYDNEY -- Two-time Olympic water polo player James Stanton has been banned for two years for testing positive for a banned substance.

The 27-year-old Australian goalkeeper tested positive for the anabolic agent clenbuterol in an out-of-competition test last September.

The backdated suspension means Stanton can't compete until October of next year, ruling him out of next month's world championships and the 2012 London Olympics.

Stanton originally referred the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, but has since withdrawn the appeal.

"On the advice of my legal team, and with great disappointment, I announce that I have accepted a sanction," Stanton said in a statement.

Clenbuterol is the same substance which three-time Tour de France champion cyclist Alberto Contador and five Mexico soccer players have tested positive for, but blamed on contaminated meat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/waterpolo/news/story?id=6689981

Anyone have more info? Why he withdrew his appeal? Very interesting that he would in this supposedly more liberal climate.

theswordsman said:
Mods - could we possibly add "clenbuterol" to the title. There doesn't seem to be much action here, and this could end up being a big deal. Thanks.

FIFA President Sepp Blatter said in Mexico City that he supports the five Mexican soccer players. But the Mexican Federation had a surprise for him in the paperwork. He didn't confirm that there were seven additional players, or the bit about them having less than .5 Ng of Clenbuterol, which in someone's mind meant they weren't doping. But he does acknowledge there were more than five players with Clenbuterol in their tests at the High Performance Center on May 21 Google Translation:

http://www.laaficion.com/noticias/77728-blatter-expres-su-apoyo-los-dopados-del-tri

link seems to be broken , i assume it was this article it linked too ?

http://www.laaficion.com/noticias/77728-blatter-sab-de-los-dem-s-casos-de-doping

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
How would a threshold help? If they set 500 picograms as the threshold, that still means 5 players get suspended because their bodies don't eliminate clen as fast as their 7 mates.

Athletes who want to avoid Clen contamination in the US should be aware that organic beef is widely available and is considered highly reliable in being free of any drugs. There are hundred of suppliers in the market who cater to a growing number of consumers that wish a drug-free product including use of any antibiotics and provide meat which is even range fed on natural grasses.

Mexican beef is just as likely to contain clenbuterol as that in the U.S.
Organic suppliers in the US have achieved rapid growth in the market place. The USFDA certifies organic products. There are entire food stores and restaurants that cater to the organic movement here. I think that it is a tired excuse that athletes who compete in the US cannot avoid tainted beef when they know full-well that they can be tested and organic products are widely available.

TRENDING THREADS