• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Flecha making enemies at Paris-Roubaix?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
But it's still a defeat, regardless. (I hate podiums)

While its a defeat, and even if you hate podiums, Flecha still makes the photo that people look back at 10 years down the road, when they forget everything that happened at the 2010 PR, and simply remember who the top 3 racers were that day.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
nickel999 said:
I agree and while I recognize that a flat Tour de France stage is a different animal then a spring classic. Would you ever see that happen in a Tour stage with 50k to go? No way!

But even in a Tour stage you do see it happen after 200km when there are just a few folk left and it's clear who is #1, and it is clear to the rest that they probably aren't second in line either if #1 gets caught back.

Boonen is no rookie. Not sure why he feels that others should feel strongly about getting him back to Cancellara and then still be totally stuck with those 2 (including a fresher Boonen).

If anything, their only hope might have been to force Boonen to ride himself empty in the chase, and let Cancellara hang out there, alone into the wind. Hoping, praying, that 50km alone at the end of that series of races would be too much for Cancellara, and that he would burn with 20k to go or so. In that case a couple of minutes won't make the difference.

Turns out that half that plan worked peachy for some, if it was a plan. I suspect there was at least 1 rider who wouldn't be on that podium of they had done as Boonen "decreed" is best. And neither of those 2 would have been on the first spot anyway.

It's easy to say that only the first spot matters in PR if you have been on all podia positions already, and multiple times on top, and you have a chance to get this one too.

When Cancellara went, after 200km, everyone knew what they were riding for, tops. I'm sure that 200km Roubaix does that to you. Just Boonen's bad luck that he was the only one after the split who might have had that #1 spot still in him.

Francois the Postman said:
When Cancellara went, after 200km, everyone knew what they were riding for, tops. I'm sure that 200km Roubaix does that to you. Just Boonen's bad luck that he was the only one after the split who might have had that #1 spot still in him.

when Cancellara took off, Boonen hoped to find an ally to catch him later, but when the gap grew so rapidly, he lost control of the race & everyone in that group knew was game over. the b!tching over Flecha is to me, a childish way to justify his mistakes, and to change the fact that he couldn't make the cut along with Flecha & Hushov.

nickel999 said:
I agree and while I recognize that a flat Tour de France stage is a different animal then a spring classic. Would you ever see that happen in a Tour stage with 50k to go? No way!

We saw the same kind of thing for several years when Armstrong was winning the Tour. People riding defensively and not doing anything to attack Armstrong because they were to afraid of losing their top 5 position. After Armstrongs first win you could count the agressive riding against him on your fingers. They were basically all riding for 2nd place.

A

Anonymous

Echoes said:
Nobody remembers the top3. Only the winner and those who "make" the race.;)

Exactly. If I ever look at that picture in the future, I will think about the super human ride done by Spartacus, and what a complete wussy the guy on the lowest step was. Like I said, I guess there is a living to be made by racing for 2nd. Just don't get disappointed when you get third or worse, cause sometimes you are not the only one being a coward and sucking wheel. And for the record, Flecha did complain about Thor. I guess he missed the irony?

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
We saw the same kind of thing for several years when Armstrong was winning the Tour. People riding defensively and not doing anything to attack Armstrong because they were to afraid of losing their top 5 position. After Armstrongs first win you could count the agressive riding against him on your fingers. They were basically all riding for 2nd place.

Good point- not only Armstrong but a team domination...Discovery, Motorola..etc.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
are we still talking about this...........all of these arguments have been covered ad nauseam on the Par-Roub thread........we all know how you all feel.....:p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Exactly. If I ever look at that picture in the future, I will think about the super human ride done by Spartacus, and what a complete wussy the guy on the lowest step was. Like I said, I guess there is a living to be made by racing for 2nd. Just don't get disappointed when you get third or worse, cause sometimes you are not the only one being a coward and sucking wheel. And for the record, Flecha did complain about Thor. I guess he missed the irony?

A bit harsh I think. While he may have sucked wheels, he did attempt two attacks: one successful, one not so much.

And yes looking back at the picture ten years from now, I will 100% remember Cancellara's god like attack to end the race, but I don't think I will remember Flecha sucking Boonen's wheel for 25 km. I'll just remember good rides that Hushovd and Flecha put in to round out the podium.

Maybe we should be quoting Maurice Diot right now (1950 PR): "I have won Paris-Roubaix!"
"And Coppi?"--who finished first--ask journalists.
"Oh; he was untouchable! I consider that I actually won."

Same applies to the 2010 version, just switch a couple of names.

A

Anonymous

lagartija said:
are we still talking about this...........all of these arguments have been covered ad nauseam on the Par-Roub thread........we all know how you all feel.....:p

Hey, I tried to stay out of the fray, but I figured one last jab wouldn't hurt anyone.:D

nvpacchi said:
Maybe we should be quoting Maurice Diot right now (1950 PR): "I have won Paris-Roubaix!"
"And Coppi?"--who finished first--ask journalists.
"Oh; he was untouchable! I consider that I actually won."

I must say you have a point on that. And I love that quote by Diot, legendary.

If you're clearly not the strongest, then you aren't strongest and that's it.

But I definitely prefer a guy that is top10 in many races, never winning but still trying (Verbeeck, e.g.), to a guy who once finishes in the top3 and contends with it.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I was watching Boonen and Cancellara ride. Cancellara won this race with his (or Riis's) head as much as the legs. Boonen was countering every little attack that came on. Cancellara sat back about 5th wheel and just glided along. He actually looked weak, like he didn't have the legs to counter, obviously a total sandbag move. Boonen was spent before Cancellara even made his move.

I agree that Boonen was the only one with heart to try and chase, the other guys didn't appear to care if they lost, but no way he had the legs left to close-down Cancellara's move.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I can understand Boonen's frustration. I was a bit frustrated as a fan watching the race. I wanted the field to come together and fight for it to the end. It was like a blowout before the 4th quarter of a ball game. There was no point watching anymore.

But what are you going to do? It is racing and you can't control everything. That is why it is so entertaining. To complain about it publically is pointless.

I agree with others, I don't think Flecha is making enemies. Boonen was frustrated and Flecha was probably the first person he could think of to blame.

I feel for Tom. Think about it, he gets over the blow and gets his **** together, is riding as well as he has in years and is rewarded by an a-s-s pounding that even Suge Knight would think is a bit on the excessive side.

Tom is now forced to hope that Cancellara gets bored with the spring and moves on. For a champion, the realisation that the only way you can win your race is for the other guy not to show up has to be a bitter pill.