• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Floor pumps... suggestions?

A

Anonymous

My Joe Blow floor pump just kicked the bucket after 3 years. The seals were trash and it wouldn't pump any air into my tires. It was a good pump for $40 and I got a lot of use out of it. But are there any other pumps in that price range that you'd recommend? Or NOT recommend? I'd need one for both presta and schrader valves so I can pump up my kid's bike and soccer ball too.

Moreover, what makes a pump cost $80-100? The overall design hasn't really changed that much has it? You have a tube, a plunger and it pumps air into your tires. Certainly a bigger tube might get more volume of air into the tire more quickly but for $100 it should pump the tire by itself! haha!

Thanks in advance for your input.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
I've gone through two JoeBlow floor pumps and they both broke on me. I hate those things.

I recently bought a cheap SERFAS floor pump - nothing fancy - and I could not be happier.

I think it was $20-$25.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Park shop pump (FP-4? or something like that). OK, it is not US made while most of their stuff is, but mine has been a good pump. I think it was about $50.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Gee333 said:
My Joe Blow floor pump just kicked the bucket after 3 years. The seals were trash and it wouldn't pump any air into my tires. It was a good pump for $40 and I got a lot of use out of it. But are there any other pumps in that price range that you'd recommend? Or NOT recommend? I'd need one for both presta and schrader valves so I can pump up my kid's bike and soccer ball too.

Moreover, what makes a pump cost $80-100? The overall design hasn't really changed that much has it? You have a tube, a plunger and it pumps air into your tires. Certainly a bigger tube might get more volume of air into the tire more quickly but for $100 it should pump the tire by itself! haha!

Thanks in advance for your input.

You can get a valve head replacement for the Joe Blow at your local bike shop (they may have to order). I just did a month ago for the same reason and it was only $10 - the pump works like new now.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Yes go with the silica,its light, and pumps to over 200 psi, nice option if you run tubulars as well as clinchers, works on both schrader and or.presta,

May 3, 2009
www.glorycycles.com
Nothing comes close to the Lezyne CNC Floor Drive Pump
glorycycles_2074_41150499

Seriously I have had them all, Park, Silca, Pedros. Check my blog for a review of the hand pump. These guys have blown us away with there new pumps.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I think I've still had the best overall luck with Blackburn stuff. The pumps aren't always the fanciest or include the latest gadgets but they're generally well built and have an ironclad lifetime guarantee attached to them. The new gauges are pretty trick, too. They use a bladder-type architecture instead of the usual brass mechanism so they won't go out of calibration if you drop the thing.

And yes, have used the Lezyne CNC, too (hope to have a review posted soon). Great pump overall, amazing quality. But as stated above, the gauge isn't as durable as I'd prefer.

May 3, 2009
www.glorycycles.com
Going to give Blackburn another try then, some years back we had terrible luck with them, many of the less expensive ones ended up getting returned so I stopped carrying them.