Floyd Landis Interview

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 10, 2010
5,235
0
0
It was fun to read Floyd's unintentionally ironic take on the bad people in cycling.

It would be hilarious if Sessions seized all his illegal marijuana sale profits.
 
Oct 10, 2012
926
0
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
What I find bizarre about Landis is how mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news. It is like they don't want anyone to spoil the fairytale, it's easier to diss the messenger. Given how he was bullied from within and almost lost his life over his past experiences, the authorities should hang their heads in shame at how it all panned out and they changed nothing.
What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what? This is just some dude saying things that resonate with folk around here, but it sure as hell ain't news.
''Just some dude?''. He is a former doped tour winner who spent years in the peloton right at the coalface, I think he has more knowledge than you me and plenty of other people on this forum put together. If you need me to spell out the comments that are newsworthy then you fit neatly into the category of children that Landis refers to. I don't know why you feel the constant need to slate other peoples opinions as though you are the fountain of all knowledge but if it makes you feel better then work away.
 
Jul 18, 2010
934
0
0
Re: Re:

topt said:
its just logic, watch that stage again
I'd call it cynical. Logic would imply it had some basis in fact.

FLandis' performance on that day-- as recorded by his PowerTap -- was not particularly exceptional. He averaged 281 Watts for the day, for five hours and 23 minutes. The whole of the 2006 peloton averaged 269W over all of the mountain stages, so he won a stage riding with <5% more power than the combined average of the peloton. Which, I might add, included sprinters who struggled to make the cut-off time. Earlier that same season, FLandis had recorded 300-310W for >6 hours, both during the Tour de Georgia and on training rides. Nothing in the least bit suspicious about 281W for 5.5 hours.

Further, the peloton frequently took time out of FLandis. In fact they did so on three of the day's five mountains, including the final two summits. So if they were able to take time out of him on the climbs, is it not also 'logical' that they, too, were motorised?

In the end, FLandis won the stage for two chief reasons, neither involving an electric motor, Russian collusion or the shooter on the grassy knoll.

The first was the temperature. It was ~38° on the road on that day. FLandis had seen the weather forecast and planned to use the heat to his advantage. He had forewarned his team and they brought an uncommonly large number of bottles filled with ice water specifically to support his lunatic attack. Going off the front on the first ascent of the day was critical to his plan because he needed to be clear of the peloton so he could have frequent and regular access to the cache of water bottles in the team car.

He went through an estimated 70 bottles that day, drinking ~15 filled with sport drink and pouring more than 50 bottles of ice water over his head to keep cool. To contrast, riders in the peloton had to rely on a domestique (or two) falling off the back and drifting back to the team car, then bringing bottles up for the entire team. The riders in the peloton proper had to make do with -- at most -- 20 bottles on the day, less than half the number FLandis used to pour over his head. After the stage, Dave Zabriskie and Christian VandeVelde remarked that their last-minute counterattack fizzled because they were too knackered by the heat. FLandis, OTOH, was in danger of contracting frostbite. </hyperbole>

The second key to his win was that 2006 was the first post-Pharmstrong TdF and the peloton had not yet coronated its new patrón. No central authority who could dictate strategy to the pack. When FLandis launched an absurdly early attack, the peloton responded with polemics and indecision (and perhaps incredulity) and waited until it was too late before initiating the chase in earnest. They could have caught him any time they wanted, provided they didn't wait until he was too near the finish. Which is exactly what happened.

EDIT:
And IF FLandis had some magical bicycle that would propel him to victory at the mere flick of a switch, why didn't he use it the day before, when he lost 10 minutes to the Chicken, rather than letting himself get so far in the hole that his only hope of a GC victory lay in an heroic effort on Stage 17?
 
Re: Re:

ontheroad said:
''Just some dude?''. He is a former doped tour winner who spent years in the peloton right at the coalface, I think he has more knowledge than you me and plenty of other people on this forum put together. If you need me to spell out the comments that are newsworthy then you fit neatly into the category of children that Landis refers to. I don't know why you feel the constant need to slate other peoples opinions as though you are the fountain of all knowledge but if it makes you feel better then work away.
To summarise. Someone claims that "mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news." Someone - me - asks "What in it is worth reporting?" Twice. And both times the same answer: (summarised) it's Floyd freakin' Landis! Which, oddly, fails to quote or even point to anything in the interview that is in any way newsworthy, other than to those who hang on every word out of the mouth of Floyd freakin' Landis. So, third time being a charm and all that, let's try the question one more time: what in it is worth reporting?
 
May 3, 2010
538
0
0
Hard for me to sympathize with Landis because he continues to take no real ownership...."we were just kids ...." He was 26 when he went to postal, I wish I could use the "I was just a kid and was pressured" excuse for all my mistakes in my 20s.

He still sounds bitter. Not sure he will every move on if he keeps pointing the finger. And yes it is both funny and hard to take the guy seriously when he is now selling weed. Anyways, I guess good luck to him.
 
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
thehog said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
What I find bizarre about Landis is how mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news. It is like they don't want anyone to spoil the fairytale, it's easier to diss the messenger. Given how he was bullied from within and almost lost his life over his past experiences, the authorities should hang their heads in shame at how it all panned out and they changed nothing.
What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what? This is just some dude saying things that resonate with folk around here, but it sure as hell ain't news.
Sure, just some dude who uncovered widespread cheating in cycling from the UCI down and the plaintiff in a $100m lawsuit with the federal government.

You do make my laugh at times, pretending to know better than “the folk around here “ :cool:
Allow me to rephrase the question for you, as you don't appear to have understood it: What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what?
It’s a forum? Why are you pretending it’s anything more? You write crappy book reviews. It’s no different than the drival that you manage to put together, or do you feel that you are of a higher order?
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re: Re:

thehog said:
fmk_RoI said:
thehog said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
What I find bizarre about Landis is how mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news. It is like they don't want anyone to spoil the fairytale, it's easier to diss the messenger. Given how he was bullied from within and almost lost his life over his past experiences, the authorities should hang their heads in shame at how it all panned out and they changed nothing.
What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what? This is just some dude saying things that resonate with folk around here, but it sure as hell ain't news.
Sure, just some dude who uncovered widespread cheating in cycling from the UCI down and the plaintiff in a $100m lawsuit with the federal government.

You do make my laugh at times, pretending to know better than “the folk around here “ :cool:
Allow me to rephrase the question for you, as you don't appear to have understood it: What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what?
It’s a forum? Why are you pretending it’s anything more? You write crappy book reviews. It’s no different than the drival that you manage to put together, or do you feel that you are of a higher order?
Puhleeaasse, he is an "Author of one book, contributor to another."
 
I have a feeling fmk-Rol is a nice person in real life.
I also agree with his contention that there's nothing to see regarding Flandis.
Bessinger and Flandis did their best to create a little controversy during Le Tour.
That's pretty much as far as it's gonna go.
 
Re:

the delgados said:
I have a feeling fmk-Rol is a nice person in real life.
I also agree with his contention that there's nothing to see regarding Flandis.
Bessinger and Flandis did their best to create a little controversy during Le Tour.
That's pretty much as far as it's gonna go.
It's not like Kirby has hours of dead air time to talk about doping on Eurosport ...

Main stream media has no desire to face the wrath of lawyers, or the time to explain the ins and outs, when it's easier to just stick Trump in front of a camera or post "celebrity news". The entire planet knows Lance is an a****hole and it's moved on from there.
 
Oct 10, 2012
926
0
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
''Just some dude?''. He is a former doped tour winner who spent years in the peloton right at the coalface, I think he has more knowledge than you me and plenty of other people on this forum put together. If you need me to spell out the comments that are newsworthy then you fit neatly into the category of children that Landis refers to. I don't know why you feel the constant need to slate other peoples opinions as though you are the fountain of all knowledge but if it makes you feel better then work away.
To summarise. Someone claims that "mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news." Someone - me - asks "What in it is worth reporting?" Twice. And both times the same answer: (summarised) it's Floyd freakin' Landis! Which, oddly, fails to quote or even point to anything in the interview that is in any way newsworthy, other than to those who hang on every word out of the mouth of Floyd freakin' Landis. So, third time being a charm and all that, let's try the question one more time: what in it is worth reporting?
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.

He knows full well that it is cloud cuckoo land stuff together with the 55 vials of kenacort apparently used by Sky staff members, the transportation of Fluimacil across the continent, the stolen laptop, the lack of medical records etc.

A former tour winner gives his thoughts on what he thinks yet there is no sign of it in the UK sporting press this morning and there have been no questions from British media as to why exactly this investigation is taking so long to conclude by UKAD.
 
Re: Re:

thehog said:
It’s a forum? Why are you pretending it’s anything more? You write crappy book reviews. It’s no different than the drival that you manage to put together, or do you feel that you are of a higher order?
As I said Hog, you don't appear to have understood the question. In your haste to play the man and not the ball you've missed the point. So, for you, the question, in context:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
What I find bizarre about Landis is how mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news. It is like they don't want anyone to spoil the fairytale, it's easier to diss the messenger. Given how he was bullied from within and almost lost his life over his past experiences, the authorities should hang their heads in shame at how it all panned out and they changed nothing.
What in it is worth reporting? Seriously, what? This is just some dude saying things that resonate with folk around here, but it sure as hell ain't news.
If you feel you have an answer, shoot...
 
Re: Re:

ontheroad said:
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.
BREAKING NEWS Convicted liar and cheat Floyd Landis offers opinion on something. Read all about it!

Right, yeah, can see why they'd want to hold the front page for that...
 
Re: Re:

ontheroad said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
''Just some dude?''. He is a former doped tour winner who spent years in the peloton right at the coalface, I think he has more knowledge than you me and plenty of other people on this forum put together. If you need me to spell out the comments that are newsworthy then you fit neatly into the category of children that Landis refers to. I don't know why you feel the constant need to slate other peoples opinions as though you are the fountain of all knowledge but if it makes you feel better then work away.
To summarise. Someone claims that "mainstream cycling journalists will not report this article. Just watch, it will not even get a mention in the daily newspapers, when given his experiences in the sport, this should be sports headline news." Someone - me - asks "What in it is worth reporting?" Twice. And both times the same answer: (summarised) it's Floyd freakin' Landis! Which, oddly, fails to quote or even point to anything in the interview that is in any way newsworthy, other than to those who hang on every word out of the mouth of Floyd freakin' Landis. So, third time being a charm and all that, let's try the question one more time: what in it is worth reporting?
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.

He knows full well that it is cloud cuckoo land stuff together with the 55 vials of kenacort apparently used by Sky staff members, the transportation of Fluimacil across the continent, the stolen laptop, the lack of medical records etc.

A former tour winner gives his thoughts on what he thinks yet there is no sign of it in the UK sporting press this morning and there have been no questions from British media as to why exactly this investigation is taking so long to conclude by UKAD.
Exactly. It is news, because we've been here before. UKAD appear intent on letting drag out till it's forgotten about.
 
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.
BREAKING NEWS Convicted liar and cheat Floyd Landis offers opinion on something. Read all about it!

Right, yeah, can see why they'd want to hold the front page for that...
It must be news considering you've spent 6 posts attempting to convince everyone it's not news :cool:

It's an opinion piece, no one said anything besides what was printed. Landis's story has already front page news before. He even made front page of the WSJ.

You're now attempting to suggest that others have said this is front page news. They have not. You're making up the story for effect. Perhaps just cool your jets and stop showing off. Back to to the book review blog :)
 
Oct 10, 2012
926
0
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.
BREAKING NEWS Convicted liar and cheat Floyd Landis offers opinion on something. Read all about it!

Right, yeah, can see why they'd want to hold the front page for that...
You're talking about playing the ball and not the man elsewhere, yet you ridicule Landis without tearing any holes in the points that he is making. Hypocritical.
 
Re: Re:

ontheroad said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.
BREAKING NEWS Convicted liar and cheat Floyd Landis offers opinion on something. Read all about it!

Right, yeah, can see why they'd want to hold the front page for that...
You're talking about playing the ball and not the man elsewhere, yet you ridicule Landis without tearing any holes in the points that he is making. Hypocritical.
Actually, come on, be fair - the man is beyond ridicule: do we really have to go into all the denial, and the book, and the Fairness Fund and the association with attempted hacking and the destruction of Greg LeMond? But that isn't actually the point I'm making - that's just a side dish that's hard to avoid, like naan bread when you go for a curry - the actual point I'm trying to get you to grasp is that others don't share your view that anything in that interview is worth being reported by those "MSM" hacks you claim will just ignore it.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.
BREAKING NEWS Convicted liar and cheat Floyd Landis offers opinion on something. Read all about it!

Right, yeah, can see why they'd want to hold the front page for that...
You're talking about playing the ball and not the man elsewhere, yet you ridicule Landis without tearing any holes in the points that he is making. Hypocritical.
Actually, come on, be fair - the man is beyond ridicule: do we really have to go into all the denial, and the book, and the Fairness Fund and the association with attempted hacking and the destruction of Greg LeMond? But that isn't actually the point I'm making - that's just a side dish that's hard to avoid, like naan bread when you go for a curry - the actual point I'm trying to get you to grasp is that others don't share your view that anything in that interview is worth being reported by those "MSM" hacks you claim will just ignore it.
Show us a cyclist who didn't deny doping?

No one is portraying Landis as an angel, but as a former TdF winner who says things have not changed, it is worth repeating, cause Landis was there in the 'cesspit' and sees all the same people inhabiting the 'cesspit' enabling the cheating and doping, but lets dismiss that in the year of the UCI Presidential election.
 
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
fmk_RoI said:
ontheroad said:
How about this bit.

CN: There was the mystery package delivery to Wiggins and the TUE issue with Sky as well. (Landis pivots the question to address the 'mistaken' shipment of testosterone that Team Sky and British Cycling doctor Richard Freeman received at the Manchester Velodrome in 2011).

Landis: They tried to claim that in the middle of all this, that just by coincidence some pharmacy mailed a bunch of testosterone to their headquarters, and that was purely an accident.

Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever just received a bunch of testosterone? Yeah, me neither. Well, not when I wasn't ordering it.


Given that there is still an ongoing UKAD investiagtion going on into the practices of Team Sky/BC I would have thought that the British press would report this in it's sports section.
BREAKING NEWS Convicted liar and cheat Floyd Landis offers opinion on something. Read all about it!

Right, yeah, can see why they'd want to hold the front page for that...
You're talking about playing the ball and not the man elsewhere, yet you ridicule Landis without tearing any holes in the points that he is making. Hypocritical.
Actually, come on, be fair - the man is beyond ridicule: do we really have to go into all the denial, and the book, and the Fairness Fund and the association with attempted hacking and the destruction of Greg LeMond? But that isn't actually the point I'm making - that's just a side dish that's hard to avoid, like naan bread when you go for a curry - the actual point I'm trying to get you to grasp is that others don't share your view that anything in that interview is worth being reported by those "MSM" hacks you claim will just ignore it.
Show us a cyclist who didn't deny doping?

No one is portraying Landis as an angel, but as a former TdF winner who says things have not changed, it is worth repeating, cause Landis was there in the 'cesspit' and sees all the same people inhabiting the 'cesspit' enabling the cheating and doping, but lets dismiss that in the year of the UCI Presidential election.
I think the issue with Landis is his past. He did lie, he did dope and shut up for a long time. Where it becomes different say to a David Millar is Landis changed tracks and told all right down to the gory details against huge opposition. So, I like to hear from him as I know when he speaks you get the balls to the wall honest viewpoint.

When it comes to other dopers whom have confessed you tend to get a sanatised version that scouts around the truth in order to save themselves.....

Is this news? Maybe it depends on the definition of news but why would anyone want to suppress the copy? That would be censorship. No one would want that. Not even a person who writes book reviews :cool:
 
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Is this news? Maybe it depends on the definition of news but why would anyone want to suppress the copy? That would be censorship. No one would want that. Not even a person who writes book reviews :cool:
Wow. Seriously, just wow. You jump from accepting - at last! - that it's not news to now accusing me of wanting to suppress it. Just brilliant Hoggy, absolutely *** brilliant. With acrobatics like that you should change your name to Louis Smith. With an imagination like that you should change your name to JK Rowling.
 
Probably worth adding, that in an age of "fake news" chants which looks of censor news or to read-shape the news, it's important to have stories, opinions from all perspectives. Cookson has his platform the welfare of cycling and there's no reason why Floyd Landis should not have his opportunity to speak and provide his viewpoint (he does have first hand experience). Free speech is the cornerstone of any civil democracy. To suggest otherwise is a little strange.
 
Sep 9, 2012
2,648
0
0
thehog said:
Probably worth adding, that in an age of "fake news" chants which looks of censor news or to read-shape the news, it's important to have stories, opinions from all perspectives. Cookson has his platform the welfare of cycling and there's no reason why Floyd Landis should not have his opportunity to speak and provide his viewpoint (he does have first hand experience). Free speech is the cornerstone of any civil democracy. To suggest otherwise is a little strange.
Full hog mode engaged. You truly are one of a kind :D
 
thehog said:
Probably worth adding, that in an age of "fake news" chants which looks of censor news or to read-shape the news, it's important to have stories, opinions from all perspectives. Cookson has his platform the welfare of cycling and there's no reason why Floyd Landis should not have his opportunity to speak and provide his viewpoint (he does have first hand experience). Free speech is the cornerstone of any civil democracy. To suggest otherwise is a little strange.
British posters in particular will note that what Hog is calling for when he calls for opinions from all perspectives is that the likes of Nigel Lawson should be given airtime to dismiss climate change, that the likes of Nigel Farage should be involved in any conversation that deals with immigration. Free speech, 'tis a wondrous thing...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts