• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Following Bike Races While Traveling

I wasn't sure where to put this question, so I'm creating this thread here, and trying to make it general enough in terms of topic title to possibly be of use to others in the future.

My specific situation is that I'll be in Lisbon for the first part of July and don't want to miss the first week of the Tour de France if I can help it. I haven't received a firm answer about whether or not the apartment I'm renting has a television and cable or not, so this is a two part question for forum followers with experience living in Portugal or who otherwise might know the answer(s).

(1) If my apartment does have a television, will basic Lisbon cable likely carry a channel showing the race?

(2) If my apartment does not have a television, are there public venues in Lisbon that will likely be showing the race? Here in the States one can often watch it at sports bars and bike shops, for example.

For purposes of the second question, my apartment is located in the Chiado district of Lisbon, about 200 meters from the Baixa/Chiado metro station.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
christopherrowe said:
(2) If my apartment does not have a television, are there public venues in Lisbon that will likely be showing the race? Here in the States one can often watch it at sports bars and bike shops, for example.

I think this will be harder to find. Of course I am not a Lisbon expert, but I expect that Sports Bars as you know them in the US will be rare. Normal bars might still show it though