• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fork modification

I am getting sick of having to deal with the quick release on my front wheel due to the 'lawyer tabs'. I was wondering how safe it would be to remove them from a carbon fork. Or, in the alternative, if there are any skewers that allow for more of a release to expand past the tabs.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
No skewers I know of will do what you ask. Every single fork I have that came with lawyers tabs I took to the grinder wheel. Carbon forks usually have aluminum dropouts, even easier to grind than steel. Grind away! :)

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Marva32 said:
I am getting sick of having to deal with the quick release on my front wheel due to the 'lawyer tabs'. I was wondering how safe it would be to remove them from a carbon fork. Or, in the alternative, if there are any skewers that allow for more of a release to expand past the tabs.

Bontrager has a skewer that you can use without taking the lawyer tabs of.
only in america you need to those things on the end of your forks.
for at least 70years bikes in Europe that had been raced never had these.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Woah, woah, WOAH!

guys - be a little more careful with the advie you are handing out!

Please note, it is important to take into account some safety issues when filing down carbon and in particular some of the more recent high modulus carbons. Nano-tube technology is great but the reality is that if you go sanding or power grinding a nano-tube material, you will be throwing microscopic carbon tubes into the air. These in turn can get into your lungs and have carcenogenic affects that are potentially similar to asbestos.

If in doubt, always be sure to protect yourself from carbon dust when modifying.

Martin318is said:
Woah, woah, WOAH!

Please note, it is important to take into account some safety issues when filing down carbon and in particular some of the more recent high modulus carbons. Nano-tube technology is great but the reality is that if you go sanding or power grinding a nano-tube material, you will be throwing microscopic carbon tubes into the air. These in turn can get into your lungs and have carcenogenic affects that are potentially similar to asbestos.

If in doubt, always be sure to protect yourself from carbon dust when modifying.

I agree with that, and I had figured that out already.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
Woah, woah, WOAH!

Please note, it is important to take into account some safety issues when filing down carbon and in particular some of the more recent high modulus carbons. Non-tube technology is great but the reality is that if you go sanding or power grinding a nano-tube material, you will be throwing microscopic carbon tubes into the air. These in turn can get into your lungs and have carcenogenic affects that are potentially similar to asbestos.

It has been a while since I comprehensively looked for research on this issue, but to the best of my knowledge, carcinogenic effects of inhalation of carbon nanotubes remain speculative as opposed to evidenced (though the speculation is quite plausible). However, the potential for manufactured carbon parts to release particles meeting the theoretical criteria for causing pleural inflammation (with the potential to lead to mesothelioma) is limited, as the fibres are bound to the resin. Sawing and filing by hand would almost certainly not release small enough particles, although high speed grinding (or using an abrasive cutting wheel) conceivably might.

Even as far as asbestos itself, the dangers are very strongly dose-related, with those subject to long-term industrial exposure most affected.

I'm not saying "don't take precautions", but the likelihood of ill effects to weekend warriors from cutting, filing or even grinding one or two small carbon parts seems small to me. Obviously if you're mucking about with raw carbon nanotubes (or grinding manufactured carbon bike parts) on a regular basis it might well pay to be more cautious.