• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Formula for KOM-Categories in Grand Tours

Hey people,

I would like to ask how the three Grand Tours decide, which Kom-category they assign to their ascents?

At the tour I might have found the border at 1000m and 500m altitude gain with serious climbing percentages between HC, cat 1 and cat 2. Whereas the Giro sometimes doesn't give KOM-Points at all (2022 at Passo Tonale and Teglio for example), while on the other hand, some more easy mountain top finishes get cat1 (2018 Campo Imperatore, 2019 Monte Avena, 2020 Aremogna, 2021 Camo Felice)

So the question is, does someone has a kind of Formula for each of the three Grand Tours? (Giro ideally with MTF and classical ascent en route)

Also if someone has a opinion about it, just leave it here. (by the way, Giro needs a HC. There is a difference between an average Dolomite climb and ascents like Zoncolan, Blockhaus, Finestre, Mortirolo)

Thanks

Hey people,

I would like to ask how the three Grand Tours decide, which Kom-category they assign to their ascents?

At the tour I might have found the border at 1000m and 500m altitude gain with serious climbing percentages between HC, cat 1 and cat 2. Whereas the Giro sometimes doesn't give KOM-Points at all (2022 at Passo Tonale and Teglio for example), while on the other hand, some more easy mountain top finishes get cat1 (2018 Campo Imperatore, 2019 Monte Avena, 2020 Aremogna, 2021 Camo Felice)

So the question is, does someone has a kind of Formula for each of the three Grand Tours? (Giro ideally with MTF and classical ascent en route)

Also if someone has a opinion about it, just leave it here. (by the way, Giro needs a HC. There is a difference between an average Dolomite climb and ascents like Zoncolan, Blockhaus, Finestre, Mortirolo)

Thanks

I don't think there is a formula. I generally agree with all your points.

I want to add that I don't like that easy climbs on the opening stages get categorised because they want to award a KOM jersey. There's a lack of consistency that seems unprofessional and random.

Reactions: hayneplane
By @Linkinito (iirc):

uSNlSEs.png

I don't think there is a formula. I generally agree with all your points.

I want to add that I don't like that easy climbs on the opening stages get categorised because they want to award a KOM jersey. There's a lack of consistency that seems unprofessional and random.
That same principle also often involves much harder climbs in the multi mountain stages going uncategorised because they don’t want to have more than about 6 KOM summits in a single stage yet will find a road bridge on stage 1 or 2 to justify giving out the jersey and starting a first week skirmish for the jersey usually amongst wildcard teams.

Reactions: Lui98 and tobydawq

TRENDING THREADS