• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Forum Login

Daniel Benson

Administrator
Mar 2, 2009
www.cyclingnews.com
Very soon you'll notice a change to the way you log in and join the forum. Instead of going to the forum to log in, you'll get directed to our main site. In addition, you'll have some new options when you log in or join - you'll be able to use Facebook, Twitter, Google or LinkedIn as well as your normal username and password. We hope this will make it easier for you to log into the site. For people who already have a Cyclingnews account, you'll be given the option to link your account when you first log in using one of the social media sites. As always, please let us know if you have any problems with this new functionality.

It's really hard not to repeat log in!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
what is the purpose of logging into the site instead of the forum?

what is the advantage of being able to login with a social networking site account?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Oh ghod... not another site gone to the dark side.

Its basically tracking you much better now if you use those social media sites to log in. Now not only can track you from your default login but if you use the social media sites login's they can track you via that as well. Sure we'll hear we don't use that its just to make it easier, easier to track you for the ad revenue or who knows what else. Time to setup a separate profile on my browser for CN forum now.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Oh ghod... not another site gone to the dark side.

Its basically tracking you much better now if you use those social media sites to log in. Now not only can track you from your default login but if you use the social media sites login's they can track you via that as well. Sure we'll hear we don't use that its just to make it easier, easier to track you for the ad revenue or who knows what else. Time to setup a separate profile on my browser for CN forum now.

that makes sense. it's all about tracking and data. i guess too many people are using ad-block.

it seems CN hasn't learned their lesson from the last time they larded up the forum.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Daniel Benson said:
We hope this will make it easier for you to log into the site.

So you take us for complete and total idiots, is that it?

Have you been receiving complaints about the "difficulty" of logging in? :rolleyes:

Suggestion:
Spare us the BS

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
granville57 said:
so you take us for complete and total idiots, is that it?

Have you been receiving complaints about the "difficulty" of logging in? :rolleyes:

Suggestion:
Spare us the bs

LOL

*how weird. the forum automatically changes "LOL" written in capitals to "lol"

May 21, 2010
Visit site
O.K. this forvm totally blows! You mean to tell me I can't log in if I have adblock on. Thanks, Dan, you're the man ...

mp4-4a said:
I didn't know/understand that because for me there is no warning I just can't login but cycle between two pages?! There are other tools than just AdBlock, you know, if you can't stand the ads. But I definitely don't like the fcbk integration and the increase of tracking. Luckily my browser is armed with powerful battery of extensions that keep privacy on a decent level ;)

I'm most likely to go back to lurking only however.

Me too. I just get the whirling dervish in firefox w/ adblock. Had to use safari to log in. Now I have all the ads. My eyes! They burn! What extensions do you have?

I just noticed that the thread about the new login isn't locked. Maybe I should move this up there.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Daniel Benson said:
Very soon you'll notice a change to the way you log in and join the forum. Instead of going to the forum to log in, you'll get directed to our main site. In addition, you'll have some new options when you log in or join - you'll be able to use Facebook, Twitter, Google or LinkedIn as well as your normal username and password. We hope this will make it easier for you to log into the site. For people who already have a Cyclingnews account, you'll be given the option to link your account when you first log in using one of the social media sites. As always, please let us know if you have any problems with this new functionality.

It's really hard not to repeat log in!

Thank you for this improved functionality. It used to take much of the morning to log in, and by the time I was done, often, I needed a nap. But now, logging in is a snap! So much easier! Thanks, CN!

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Why does it not work from Opera? I've just had pretty 'enjoyable' time - click a 'Log In' on the Forum Page and it sends me to the Main Site, then click a 'Log In' on the Main Site and... it brings me back to Forums with its 'Log In' button which would lead me on the Main Site again and so on. After several cycles of 'Log In' - 'Log In' without 'breaking in' I suddenly realised that there is evil Explorer which finally gave me access to my Profile (and to colourful background of ads which - unlike Opera - Explorer tolerates).

I would like this to be fixed.

Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Kvinto said:
Why does it not work from Opera?

I don't know for Opera, but i had problem with other browser(the issue is Adblock). Apparently the logging in is made from main page and there's a small login window that pop-ups - AdBlock blocks it. Maybe Opera can't draw that window or you have. In such cases as mentioned you just cycle between two pages.

See here for some details.

And don't use IE it's a piece of s***.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
The new log in system is nothing short of making the loyal cn readers suffer the cn lack of confidence in it's own content..thus the idea, to put it bluntly, is idiotic because it is counterproductive and pointless.

To give my bark some bite, I will no longer post at cn forums unless the issue is very very special. This place is run by some seriously inadequate folks. Not a reference to the hard working mods.

What is it? Can't you be logged into the forum and not the website?

I guess I hope I never have to logout then.

Funny they will do crap like this but still not implement programs to make the large majority of forum users (guests) register.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. For obvious reasons I can't recommend solutions to make the login process work with adblock, though on a completely unrelated topic those of you who use script blockers may want to add exceptions for futurecdn.net (as noted above; we use this to serve Javascript, CSS and images on the site and that's all), sl.cyclingnews.com and gigya.com (used to provide social login functionality).

Can I just say to those of you complaining about the supposed tracking this will enable us to do: as far as I'm aware, if you login using a social network your social identity isn't used to track your behaviour on our site. Furthermore, if you choose not to use this method of logging in then there is essentially no difference from before, apart from obviously needing to go to the main site to log in.

We'll look into the Opera bug, and any others raised, as a top priority.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
mp4-4a said:
I don't know for Opera, but i had problem with other browser(the issue is Adblock). Apparently the logging in is made from main page and there's a small login window that pop-ups - AdBlock blocks it. Maybe Opera can't draw that window or you have. In such cases as mentioned you just cycle between two pages.

See here for some details.

And don't use IE it's a piece of s***.

It's more than just AdBlock. I've disabled it but nothing has changed. Btw, even now, logging from IE, I've made it after the 3rd 'Site - Forum' loop.

A

Anonymous

Kvinto said:
It's more than just AdBlock. I've disabled it but nothing has changed. Btw, even now, logging from IE, I've made it after the 3rd 'Site - Forum' loop.

I don't have Opera so i don't know the possible issues with that browser but i've tried out Google Chrome and Firefox and they both work without problems if you just turn off the AdBlock before logging in (and then you can switch it back on if you like, it will work if they don't change the code yet again).
If you can't make Chrome or Firefox work then it must be an issue with another extension(look on the net how to disable/stop it). Opera might have an issue with the web login code itself (some stuff are not standardized between different browsers)

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
We've identified a problem with Opera and we'll have a fix out for it ASAP. If anyone else has any problems, please could you provide details of what you did to produce the bug and what happened as well as a screenshot if relevant.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, we should have fixed the Opera bug as well as the 'infinite loops' that some of you have been reporting. Let us know if you have any more problems.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Annoying new login system as it means that I cant login in school when on a computer which blocks the CN main website, but not the forum..

Probably an isolated problem ,but just saying..

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I really am :mad: I have just wasted hours trying to figure out what the **** has been going on here, then I've wasted more ****ing hours trying to figure out where to disable Adblock - I didn't know because I only ever installed the damn thing for here when those ****ing ads first started up and we went on strike, etc and I never had to access it before (for some reason, I had no icon anywhere to click on).

Well, now I have the great pleasure of being bombarded by these damn things just so that I can come and post about what a ridiculous and naive attempt this is to snow-job us under the guise of "easier to connect to social media, etc, blah". Having finally disabled Adblock, it still took me at least three times longer to log in than it used to. Another great CN software and PR c ock-up.

This is bull, I am p!ssed off yet again by CN and may well take another lengthy, or permanent, leave of absence.

:mad:

TRENDING THREADS