Frame recommendations for on/off road adventure touring

Feb 15, 2011
14
0
0
This bike will have:
• Full fenders
• racks suitable for a camping load
• Dynamo front hub & lights
• Drop bars
• Bar end or down tube shifters
• Very wide gear range
• Rubber will be in the neighbourhood of 700x45
• V brakes preferred, disk brakes acceptable
• I’m 6’2” and expect to set the bars near level with the seat; I’ll need a tall and strong head tube, steerer, stem combination.

I won’t be tackling gnarly terrain at speed so I would think a low bottom bracket would be preferable, although I welcome feedback on that subject.

Oh – and it needs to be as inexpensive as possible without compromising durability and function.

Some ideas:
• Any old used steel touring frame/fork off eBay (will these fit 700x45 tires w/fenders? If so, how will I know? Specific recommendations are most welcome.)
• Salsa Fargo
• Salsa Vaya
• Surly Long Haul Trucker
• Bruce Gordon BLT
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
Well that Hampsten is a fine bike, but our OP is asking for a frame that fits 45c tires. Any of those Salsas will be fine. Ebay bikes will generally not work with that tire size unless he asks, or it's specified in the description. My personal fave in this Monster Cross config is the Soulcraft Dirt Bomb.

 
Houdini said:
This bike will have:
• Full fenders
• racks suitable for a camping load
• Dynamo front hub & lights
• Drop bars
• Bar end or down tube shifters
• Very wide gear range
• Rubber will be in the neighbourhood of 700x45
• V brakes preferred, disk brakes acceptable
• I’m 6’2” and expect to set the bars near level with the seat; I’ll need a tall and strong head tube, steerer, stem combination.

I won’t be tackling gnarly terrain at speed so I would think a low bottom bracket would be preferable, although I welcome feedback on that subject.

Oh – and it needs to be as inexpensive as possible without compromising durability and function.

Some ideas:
• Any old used steel touring frame/fork off eBay (will these fit 700x45 tires w/fenders? If so, how will I know? Specific recommendations are most welcome.)
• Salsa Fargo
• Salsa Vaya
• Surly Long Haul Trucker
• Bruce Gordon BLT
Waterford tourer or Gunnar Grand Tour

http:/www.waterfordbikes.com
http://www.gunnarbikes.com
 
Apr 5, 2010
242
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Really cheap! They go for around $200USD f&f give or take.
What?! Well I'd make an online purchase right now if I could find an online dealer...
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
bc_hills said:
What?! Well I'd make an online purchase right now if I could find an online dealer...
Screw online, go to your LBS and have them order one. Origin8 is a J&B house brand so pretty much any shop can get one.
 
Aug 16, 2009
323
0
0
I'd want to try that frame loaded. Stability is my first criteria for touring with lots of weight. Cannondale touring is the one I have tried in the last few years that really had that slow and stable feel to it.
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,317
1
0
origin hate is great if you want an alloy frame for offroad touring??? me not


If you are tempted to go with a pseudo cross bike because it has more sex appeal than a real touring bike try the Surly Cross Check

Long haul trucker is priced well and you can run it 26" if desired

Otherwise that Fargo is the bomb imho
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,317
1
0
I can not think of anything cooler than drop bars on a 29er with tubeless tires and low pressure. mmmmmmmmmm my new fix
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,317
1
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Screw online, go to your LBS and have them order one. Origin8 is a J&B house brand so pretty much any shop can get one.
I agree. by the time you get all the parts in the mail and hope they are comparable and pay for shipping and try to set up your cantis for the first time and discover they wont adjust to your rim width and the frame you bought doesnt have the tire clearance you hoped for. it is gong to cost you as much as if they built it for you

your LBDs knows they have to compete with on line sellers so they find creative ways to save in other areas and certainly give you a better TIME value of your dollar in the end.
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,317
1
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Not aluminum, the O8 is 4130 bro... ;)
is it really? uhhhh nice welds then
I guess :p not cool I put my foot in it

I just dont like much about origin but I am sure I can let that go
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
Yeah the O8 isn't the prettiest thing to look at, but hella versatile for the money.

I'm actually replacing my 2-speed Cross Check that you've seen a bunch on this forum with that WTF. Got a solid decade outta that Surly, got it when I worked at QBP back in 99-01, now it's rusting from the inside. This Denver atmo is much easier on steel bikes, which I love. The WTF will be a nice replacement, not to mention unique. Just don't see a lot of Van Dessel unless you're East of the Mississippi.
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,317
1
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yeah the O8 isn't the prettiest thing to look at, but hella versatile for the money.

I'm actually replacing my 2-speed Cross Check that you've seen a bunch on this forum with that WTF. Got a solid decade outta that Surly, got it when I worked at QBP back in 99-01, now it's rusting from the inside. This Denver atmo is much easier on steel bikes, which I love. The WTF will be a nice replacement, not to mention unique. Just don't see a lot of Van Dessel unless you're East of the Mississippi.

I would consider o8 actually but not for touring as described.

so many bikes, so little room in the garage

the Raw is sweet. dig the extended head tube and the fork crown lugs and a big ring!

how is the rear stay tire clearance on that rig?
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
0
0
Boeing said:
how is the rear stay tire clearance on that rig?
Oh there's plenty of room, up to 2.3 on that Rawland. I've seen them with 2.1's fendered and racked.

As for our OP, the bikes he mentioned in his post would suit him just fine. Surly and Salsa are leading the way in this very cool, relatively new genre of super versitile on/off road adventure touring and monster cross bikes. All you gotta do is go to a dealer and test ride one. If you know what measurements suit you, can always venture into some of the more obscure mfg's and custom builders for something more unique rather than off the shelf. I respect Surly and Salsa for innovating, their designers are some of the best in the industry, but I prefer to ride something that not everybody else is riding, which is why I'm finally replacing my Surly Cross Check with that Van Dessel WTF. So if you live in Denver, don't copy me mf'ers!!!:D
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS