• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Francaise des Jeux fires Duval

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Young French rider's B-sample positive for appetite suppressant

Francaise des Jeux has fired Aurelien Duval, after his B-sample also came back positive for norfenfluramine. The 21-year-old had been suspended after testing positive at the Franco-Belge stage race in October.

Norfenfluramine is an appetite suppressant. He now faces a two-year suspension.

“We are especially disappointed for Aurelien, because it is not a performance-enhancing product,” said team Sport Director Martial Gayant.

Duval's attorney, Redouane Mahrach was also upset at the thought of a two-year ban. “There must be a double standard. You cannot condemn an athlete like Aurelien who is positive for norfenfluraminee the same as someone who is full of EPO,” he wrote in the French newspaper L'Union.

Duval finished second in the Under 23 cyclo-cross World Championships. He missed much of the 2009 season due to ligament problems.

A 21 year old .... has stood on the podium of the CX worlds in under 23. This is the same drug Marta Bastianelli failed following her worlds win.

Too much pressure from DSes perhaps ? a fast way to drop the pounds after an off season ?

At least the big fish are being caught :mad:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
There's more going on here than meets the eye. Athletes who spend six hours training surely possess the discipline to push themselves away from the dinner table. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it's either a masking agent or used in a cocktail.

Some of these guys would rather be regarded as stupid than cheats. Like Zirbel: "DHE-what? How did that happen?"

A

Anonymous

So losing weight isn't performance enhancing? Some DS's have a very narrow definition (wilfully or otherwise) of "performance enhancing".

But yeah, I agree with Mr Roole, masking agent or cocktail.

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
No argument about the benefits of losing weight .... Power to weight, climbing performance all would improve obviously.

I'm more startled the athlete is barely out of U23. One would think the training regimen of a pro athlete of proven ability would take care of any weight issues. Surely even in a pro athlete appetite is a healthy thing ? And if suppressing one's appetite and not eating what of the nutrients like vitamins that are needed in a *healthy* diet ?

HelmutRoole said:
There's more going on here than meets the eye. Athletes who spend six hours training surely possess the discipline to push themselves away from the dinner table. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it's either a masking agent or used in a cocktail.

Some of these guys would rather be regarded as stupid than cheats. Like Zirbel: "DHE-what? How did that happen?"

You could be right.

However, some elite level athletes have a great deal of trouble with their eating habits, so it could be legit too. Not that it's OK if it's true, but I would not jump to the immediate conclusion it was used as a mask.

Just look up eating disorders in elite athletes and see how nasty it can get.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
For a while it was speculated that the case of Marta Bastianelli may have been related to an eating disorder. I've no idea if there was anything to it - I've assumed since that it was a bit of bluster on the part of her team manager to make excuses for her, but I don't think she's ever stipulated either way (well she certainly never admitted that she doped to enhance her performance anyway!).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
You could be right.

However, some elite level athletes have a great deal of trouble with their eating habits, so it could be legit too. Not that it's OK if it's true, but I would not jump to the immediate conclusion it was used as a mask.

Yeah, but it's usually eating in the other direction: too little as opposed to too much. I've never had a weight problem while racing and training so I've never looked into it closely, but I'm pretty sure there are better ways to lose weight than apatite suppression. Stimulants and a process used by body builders call DNP, of which I know absolutely nothing about, seemingly would work better. That's why I posted what I did.

I've changed jobs a couple years back and the one I currently hold doesn't allow me the time to research my posts like back on the CF days so I usually don't post.

Here's something relating to DNP: http://www.steroid.com/DNP.php Sounds pretty brutal but so does a blood transfusion.

Not sure what the clearance of DNP would be. A stimulant like ephedra clears in a couple days.

HelmutRoole said:
Yeah, but it's usually eating in the other direction: too little as opposed to too much. I've never had a weight problem while racing and training so I've never looked into it closely, but I'm pretty sure there are better ways to lose weight than apatite suppression. Stimulants and a process used by body builders call DNP, of which I know absolutely nothing about, seemingly would work better. That's why I posted what I did.

I've changed jobs a couple years back and the one I currently hold doesn't allow me the time to research my posts like back on the CF days so I usually don't post.

Here's something relating to DNP: http://www.steroid.com/DNP.php Sounds pretty brutal but so does a blood transfusion.

Not sure what the clearance of DNP would be. A stimulant like ephedra clears in a couple days.

OK I checked out that link ... nasssty business. Nasty!

The reason some use appetite suppressants is because 'normal' appetite control is not enough ... some folks are starving themselves and have a psychiatric problem that needs to be addressed (not kidding here; ever interviewed someone with Anorexia?).

Food ... it's complicated business :D