• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

freire, our god.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
who here loves him?
who here wants to say goodbye to this huge legend?

freire, don't quit... not yet.. we need you. you are a f+cking legend!

Much love for Oscarito. I caught the race with 5 km to go and seeing Freire off the front I feared that he'd get reeled in on the Cauberg but couldn't help but hope that he had just enough to make it to the line. He's truly a legend. He could race another 2 years and still pull out a big win every year. He's that good. The only thing stopping him probably is continued motivation. He's incredible.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Much love for Oscarito. I caught the race with 5 km to go and seeing Freire off the front I feared that he'd get reeled in on the Cauberg but couldn't help but hope that he had just enough to make it to the line. He's truly a legend. He race another 2 years and still pull out a big win every year. He's that good. The only thing stopping him probably is continued motivation. He's incredible.

incredible talent really.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
Much love for Oscarito. I caught the race with 5 km to go and seeing Freire off the front I feared that he'd get reeled in on the Cauberg but couldn't help but hope that he had just enough to make it to the line. He's truly a legend. He race another 2 years and still pull out a big win every year. He's that good. The only thing stopping him probably is continued motivation. He's incredible.

if this race and the one before it aren't a sign of huge motivation and pure love about this sport, i don't know what is.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:
who here loves him?

freire, don't quit... not yet.. we need you. you are a f+cking legend!

...could not agree more....

Cheers

blutto

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know why he is retiring, he still can sprint, and climb, and he showed today that he can go on the attack. He's still a great rider and he's only 36, he could go for at least 3 or 4 more years if he wanted.

c&cfan said:
who here loves him?

freire, don't quit... not yet.. we need you. you are a f+cking legend
!

God- I wish he would change his mind and stay for a couple more years in the peloton - but age is what is driving his decision-not because he is too old or he's not competitive enough-but is the length of his career what is making him stop racing.

Spain needs to bow down when Oscarito stops racing-because HE IS AN UNIQUE LEGEND

Oscar embodies what we love about cycling

I've been a big fan for a long time now, and shared some heartbreak as well as some excellent wins. Today was a big-time attack at just the right moment, and he almost got it.

The sport will be diminished if he in fact retires after this season. Perhaps his current run of form and another Worlds title, or at least podium, will change his mind. But will Spain ride for him this time around?

Do not be so selfih!

I love to see a rider like oscarito.

But it is very hard to be competitive at this level. A lot of sacrificies. He win a lot, already proved to be a legend. He need to rest and enjoy a normal life.

Of course I will miss him.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
+1 to hoping he hangs around for a few more years. He is a great rider and clearly is clever. Cleverness doesn't disappear overnight and he just needs to target slightly different races and change his style slightly. I can see him winning a classic 2 years from now if he wanted to...

Given all his problems with injuries over the years, it would suck if he got off the bike while he was healthy and fit! (and I think he would end up regretting it too)

Wasnt Freire supposed to retire in 2010, then said **** it 1 more year than in 2011, said, **** it one more year.

Now he is saying if he gets the rainbows he has to continue.

There is hope yet.

And hes getting better at the Ardennes with age, Few more years and he might win this.

My usual policy is that i cheer against someone if they have won the worlds because i want someone else to get the chance. In freires case i would make an exception though I think with Gilbert Cancellara going all out for it, race will be raced too hard for a 36 year old freire.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wasnt Freire supposed to retire in 2010, then said **** it 1 more year than in 2011, said, **** it one more year.

Now he is saying if he gets the rainbows he has to continue.

There is hope yet.

And hes getting better at the Ardennes with age, Few more years and he might win this.

My usual policy is that i cheer against someone if they have won the worlds because i want someone else to get the chance. In freires case i would make an exception though I think with Gilbert Cancellara going all out for it, race will be raced too hard for a 36 year old freire.

Don't you want the wearer of the rainbow jersey to do the jersey honor by winning a couple of races?

TRENDING THREADS