• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Freire's breathing problems may be solvable

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Wish there was a way to get a message through to Oscar Freire. Though I'm sure he's tried nearly everything to correct his worsening breathing problems, I'll bet he's not tried a remedy that worked for me when I faced a similar dilemma. I'd been diagnosed with asthma and exercise-induced asthma, and I was actually gagging in my sleep from lack of air as my air passages were closing down so badly. I actually did stop racing due to the problem. Then one homeopathic remedy and the elimination of gluten changed everything.

First, a homeopathic doctor prescribed a remedy (which I won't name here because I'm not a doctor), and two weeks later, the gagging had stopped completely. Then I cut gluten out of my diet, and within six months, I no longer had asthma.

I used to use two inhalers and various allergy medications every time I rode. Now, I rarely need an inhaler and take no meds. So I wonder if Oscar has tried less invasive things than surgery to solve the problems. Homeopathy and diet may be the trick.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
There is a difference between true homeopathic 'medication', which is basically just water, and herbal medication, often called 'homeopathic'. The difference is that water hasn't got active ingredients (or at least the ones the so-called doctors claim), but herbal extracts might have them. There have been contradictory findings, but St. John's wort might have some anti-depressant properties (but might interfere with anti-depressant medication, so don't take them when you're on other stuff).

Therefore, some stuff that is now called homeopathic, but is actually herbal 'medication', might actually work. (Simple confirmation for you that herbs and plants might do something: Try smoking pot.)

Phoenix23 said:
I call it the placebo effect personally.

If you look into the placebo effect, you'll find it has remarkable cure rates. No joke. Not enough research into the placebo effect. No drug company would want to make the investment!

It would be interesting to hear if he tried a gluten and dairy free diet. It's not easy to feed oneself like that from grocery store packaged foods, but plenty of calories out there if cooking from scratch.

The guy has the skills when he's well. No doubt about that.

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Homeopathic remedies are not placebo effect

In my case, the remedy I took was not water-based at all, and it was definitely not placebo effect. It was a compound, containing a particular ingredient that comes from a certain animal. I had no idea what problem we were trying to solve, nor any idea of a possible or probable outcome. I did not go to my homeopathic doctor to solve a breathing problem. (That's not how homeopathy works. It's a practice which addresses the whole body all at once.) Yet, a lifelong breathing problem that was worsening with age is what was solved.

Before this, my allergy doctor told me it was physically impossible to cure asthma. As someone who has felt what it's like to race on the track without enough air, then do it with the aid of inhalers, and now asthma-free, I can tell you first hand that homeopathy can work. Anyone who has suffered from asthma knows just how liberating it would be to live asthma-free.

(You know, I posted this with the idea that by some random chance, Oscar Freire might read it, and maybe find a solution to his serious health problem. All the naysayers who come on here with the sole intent of protecting 'your' forum by trying to invalidate my experience can go find some humanity.)

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
It would be interesting to hear if he tried a gluten and dairy free diet. It's not easy to feed oneself like that from grocery store packaged foods, but plenty of calories out there if cooking from scratch.

The guy has the skills when he's well. No doubt about that.

Indeed, the man does have the skills!

I have steered clear of dairy my whole life. When I do accidentally ingest some, it impacts my sinuses every time. Removing gluten from the equation made a huge difference. That was really when my breathing problems totally stopped. The homeopathic remedy was the profound beginning, and resulted in my throat tissues notiecably decreasing in size. Then, after eliminating the gluten, all asthma symptoms virtually stopped within six months.

Freire has had lots of sinus issues too and operations to remove nasal polyps. I have had the same problem and needed two operations. The constant infections are a problem and the operations become less effective over time. Seems like he has had many health issues also infected saddle sores and back problems. Like Sastre it might be time to retire. One last shot at the Worlds I hope.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Freire has had lots of sinus issues too and operations to remove nasal polyps. I have had the same problem and needed two operations. The constant infections are a problem and the operations become less effective over time. Seems like he has had many health issues also infected saddle sores and back problems. Like Sastre it might be time to retire. One last shot at the Worlds I hope.

I feel Freire's pain. Have them too and they gave me constant headaches in the past, though now it's a lot better with the medication I'm taking. Those things can come back rather quickly though. It has something to do with allergy or something, but wasn't really paying any attention when I went to the doc.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Well, all drugs are compared to a placebo during the testing phase. How do you test the placebo itself?

I think you test six groups:

1. Take real medicine and are told it's real medicine
2. Take placebo and are told it's real medicine
3. Take real medicine and are told it's a placebo
4. Take placebo and are told it's a placebo
5. Take real medicine and not told anything
6. Take placebo and not told anything

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I feel Freire's pain. Have them too and they gave me constant headaches in the past, though now it's a lot better with the medication I'm taking. Those things can come back rather quickly though. It has something to do with allergy or something, but wasn't really paying any attention when I went to the doc.

Well, you might want to ask your doctor, since according to Mayo Clinic nasal polyps "result from chronic inflammation due to asthma, recurring infection, allergies, and drug sensitivities." It's possible you could not have to take medication anymore. I took asthma meds for many years, and feel liberated from them now. It rocks to not have to take an inhaler everywhere I go anymore. Also, I noticed the elimination of previously unknown side effects of the meds after I stopped taking them.

The homeopathic treatment and eliminating gluten was the cure for my asthma, and I no longer have nearly as many allergies as before. I know not everyone is the same, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
hobkirk said:
Well, you might want to ask your doctor, since according to Mayo Clinic nasal polyps "result from chronic inflammation due to asthma, recurring infection, allergies, and drug sensitivities." It's possible you could not have to take medication anymore. I took asthma meds for many years, and feel liberated from them now. It rocks to not have to take an inhaler everywhere I go anymore. Also, I noticed the elimination of previously unknown side effects of the meds after I stopped taking them.

The homeopathic treatment and eliminating gluten was the cure for my asthma, and I no longer have nearly as many allergies as before. I know not everyone is the same, but it's certainly worth a shot.

We had a tough weather year here with constant cycles of moisture and then warmth which kept plants producing loads of pollen. Nothing much helped regular sufferers and folks never having respiratory issues now know what it's like to have breathing difficulty. I've eaten all kinds of baked stuff and never had a problem but did find an instant response with dairy in this environment.

Mambo95 said:
I think you test six groups:

1. Take real medicine and are told it's real medicine
2. Take placebo and are told it's real medicine
3. Take real medicine and are told it's a placebo
4. Take placebo and are told it's a placebo
5. Take real medicine and not told anything
6. Take placebo and not told anything

Right. And then there's little research on ways to stimulate the placebo effect. Like administration methods, the role of person doing the administration (Dr. vs. PA vs. ???) Deep, unexplored topic.

FYI: PRODUCTS with sprouted wheat usually contain gluten anyway. They need a binder and gluten is still the best. Not much gluten, but it can be there. Yes, it's certainly possible to make GF sprouted wheat baked goods, but one must exercise some caution when consuming sprouted grain products.

Your homeopathy isn't even mentioned TS...so until you reveal the magical secret...STFU...I kid.

Also, your gluten issue, is a known medical issue called a "food allergy." No magic in removing that from your diet to help with allergic reactions, commonly presenting themselves as asthma etc...

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The whole point

zigmeister said:
Your homeopathy isn't even mentioned TS...so until you reveal the magical secret...STFU...I kid.

Also, your gluten issue, is a known medical issue called a "food allergy." No magic in removing that from your diet to help with allergic reactions, commonly presenting themselves as asthma etc...

I'm not a doctor, not writing a prescription, and each person's needs are different, thus it would be inappropriate to mention the homeopathic remedy used.

Well aware it's a food allergy... Somehow, people seem to be missing the entire point of the original post, which leads me to believe that this forum is an utter waste of time.

Cyclingnews reported that Oscar Freire is considering retirement due to unsolvable breathing problems. It has been reported that he has undergone multiple surgeries to remove polyps. Polyps are caused by asthma and allergies, among other things. Thus, removing the polyps, but not eliminating the source of their development, i.e. a known inflammatory substance like gluten and asthma itself, will not eliminate the problem. Trying alternate solutions, however, might help. Whole point, right there.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
hobkirk said:
I'm not a doctor, not writing a prescription, and each person's needs are different, thus it would be inappropriate to mention the homeopathic remedy used.

If you were a Doctor and prescribed homeopathic remedies then I'd hope you were struck off. It's rubbish, plain and simple.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
If you look into the placebo effect, you'll find it has remarkable cure rates. No joke. Not enough research into the placebo effect. No drug company would want to make the investment!

But what about the implications of the placebo use on the doctor-patient relationship? In my opinion, it breaks the trust one needs to exerce medicine. Your deceiving the patient and not giving him all he needs to make an informed decision. Today this is no longer acceptable. Hell, it is no longer doable. Patients are more and more curious, knowable and with a click they can get all the info about their disease, tretment and so on.

Yes, you could say: "Look, this is a new substance, we don't know how/if it works, but I believe this could help you". But even that sounds sketchy to me and I think it kind of breaks the placebo effect.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a fascinating and complex field. Like you said, the way all this little things (from doctor-patient relationship to pill's colour) can induce a certain response on a patient... But wether it will work in pratice or not it's an entirely different thing. Funily enough, while the issue goes unnoticed in public eye, I remmember reading a report, saying a fair chunk of doctors treating arthritis gave their patients placebo eventually. (can't find the concrete numbers, but I was quite surprised by the weight of them).

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
patterson_hood said:
If you were a Doctor and prescribed homeopathic remedies then I'd hope you were struck off. It's rubbish, plain and simple.

Please provide personal evidence of your statement. Otherwise, try adding something helpful instead.

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, not placebo effect here. Real medicine, real effects. And you've all succeeded in driving the new guy right off the forum. Good job. I have no time to waste here.