• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Friend possibly "missing" in Mexico

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
So I have a family friend who went on a fishing trip to Mexico (down the Baja Peninsula). He left with a friend on Saturday morning and was supposed to come back last night.

Have not heard a word at all. I know that there is no cell-phone reception down there, so all of our calls are going straight to voice mail.

So I'm trying not to jump the gun because he's the type of guy that would just extend the trip another day or two just for the hell of it, but taking into consideration the dodgy situation down in Mexico with all of the drug wars and the ever-present crooked police...who should I contact?

Police? FBI?

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Where in baja? is he US citizen then I would try American consulate in Tijuana
No local news here of trouble with any tourists. I will check a couple of baja forums for any news.
hope things work out well

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Where in baja? is he US citizen then I would try American consulate in Tijuana
No local news here of trouble with any tourists. I will check a couple of baja forums for any news.
hope things work out well

thanks!

i doubt anything bad has happened (always try to stay positive), but I want to know what sort of action to take if things go south.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
well there are two baja which one of the two is he?
most of the times cartel related canflicts only affect people involved on the drug trafficking bussiness. if that is of any consolation to you.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear your friend is safe...

ViaPagliano said:
hey krebs, thanks for all the info.

the guy just called and is in San Diego. trip got too fun and they decided to stay another day. they will be chastised for the lack of correspondence. :cool:

You can ignore the message I sent you directly -- or, better yet, you and your friend could join The Missing Americans Project (http://www.missingamericans.ning.com). It helps us to have people in the cycling, running, hiking, boating, and diving communities know about us.

Best wishes!

TRENDING THREADS