• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome Awesomeness Poll

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Froome Form Poll

• Howdy Doody hits the tarmac too many times?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Netserk said:
No. Does it matter? No.I certainly haven't seen any signs that he is recovering slowerSource? Either way, please explain why that matters, when Contador is the best climber in the world and worse than Froome in the ITTAlberto wants to win the Giro-Tour double before he retires. Only way to do that is to try.
I respect you opinion, but saying that age does NOT matter is crazy to say the least.

cineteq said:
I respect you opinion, but saying that age does NOT matter is crazy to say the least.
I didn't say that age didn't matter. I said that him not getting any younger doesn't matter, especially not when he isn't getting any worse. He was at his best ever last year, while not getting any younger. Age in itself is only important for the white jersey. What is important for Alberto is his abilities, not the number that describes how old he is.

Sagan is also not getting any younger. So what?

EDIT: I would still like a source regarding the 28km of ITT in the Tour. Or that you will at least acknowledge that your claim was incorrect.

cineteq said:
How old are you? Understand that Contador already peaked.

:confused:
Stage 9 Vannes → Plumelec 28Km ITT
http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/

Well done for you to ignore large parts of my post again.

I'm 21. How old are you? Does it matter?

If he has already peaked, why was he better than ever last year? When do you think Lance peaked? Indurain?

As for your source, you need to read better. ITT =/= TTT. It doesn't count as a typo when you make it several times.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Contador is certainly on the tail end of his career, his ITT is middle of the bunch. He used to have more fire power. That said, his still very good in the mountains, and tactics he's much stronger than his rivals. We'll see if he can win another TDF. Going for the double is not the way. Froome is going to be fresh as a daisy for Le Tour.

Netserk said:
I'm 21. How old are you? Does it matter?
That's why you don't understand, you haven't gone through the aging process yourself. :rolleyes:

Netserk said:
As for your source, you need to read better. ITT =/= TTT. It doesn't count as a typo when you make it several times.
My bad. But hey the TTT supports my thesis even more! :D

RiccoDinko said:
Contador is certainly on the tail end of his career, his ITT is middle of the bunch. He used to have more fire power. That said, his still very good in the mountains, and tactics he's much stronger than his rivals. We'll see if he can win another TDF. Going for the double is not the way. Froome is going to be fresh as a daisy for Le Tour.
agree 100%.

Escarabajo said:
Age matters a lot. Especially in recovery. The average male will start declining around 31-32 years of age. Unless to use a lot of Clinic stuff!!

That's nature and there's nothing that you can do about it. At least for another 2,000,000 million years.
So when did Lance peak? When did Indurain peak? did they get significantly worse after 31?

RiccoDinko said:

:confused: in hilly tts he's still one of the best, just like he used to be

cineteq said:
That's why you don't understand, you haven't gone through the aging process yourself. :rolleyes:

My bad. But hey the TTT supports my thesis even more! :D

agree 100%.

Please explain why.

Oh and you ignored my questions again. Here's a list of ignored questions from me to you:

How old are you?
If he has already peaked, why was he better than ever last year?
When did Lance peak?
When did Indurain peak?
Sagan is also not getting any younger. So what?

Not to mention that you haven't even tried to rebut this part:

I didn't say that age didn't matter. I said that him not getting any younger doesn't matter, especially not when he isn't getting any worse. He was at his best ever last year, while not getting any younger. Age in itself is only important for the white jersey. What is important for Alberto is his abilities, not the number that describes how old he is.

Netserk said:
How does those reasons only apply to them and not Contador? Or any of the other current contenders?

I am shocked that you didn't answer my question. When did they peak?
They apply to Contador as well as the other contenders that are getting older as well. I just don't think (IMHO) that they can get away with what Lance was getting away in those times. I just think is very hard.

It was possible before. Not now.

We are getting derailed now. Back to topic. Froome's Awesomeness

Horner peaked at 42, Evans won the Tour at 34. Age isn't that relevant. Contador is certainly in the second half of his career, doesn't mean he's peaked. Hell, he stated himself that he wants to leave the sport at his peak.

About the tt, he never dominated tt's when not on form, and he didn't do a lot of tt's in great form since 2012.

Further, I'll just state my opinion that Netserk has legit points in here and abandon the thread.

Escarabajo said:
I did not see a clear peak in Armstrong performances. Maybe 2001. Not sure. He was good until 2005.
I think the same applies to Contador. He was super good in '09, '11 and '14 and I can't see why he shouldn't be able to be at least at the same level again this year. From the signs we have available, I don't see how anyone can say that he will be worse this year.

Netserk said:
I think the same applies to Contador. He was super good in '09, '11 and '14 and I can't see why he shouldn't be able to be at least at the same level again this year. From the signs we have available, I don't see how anyone can say that he will be worse this year.
I have not seen Contador back to the level of 2009.

TRENDING THREADS