• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frowny Face

A

Anonymous

I have lubed everything (yes, even the seatpost), and I have what sounds like a crack. I am doubly suspicious of that because I can stand next to the bike on either side, put the pedal at 3 O'clock, step on it and hear it. I have also been running a 140mm fork on a frame made for 100mm. I used to just hear it in the big ring, but now it does it spinning up an incline in the middle and little rings. It is a late 90's IBIS that I love second only to my family. Seriously, I feel like I might cry at the prospect of replacing it for two reasons:
1. It was an awesome ride. Even with the 140mm it still handled well. I was working in a shop at the time, called IBIS in Cali (we didn't carry their frames, but I wanted one), and asked if they would employee purchase one for a shop that didn't carry their frames. The guy on the phone was cool as sh!t and said he had one in a special color (Young Asparagus) that he would sell me on their E-purchase plan. It is the most beautiful bike I have ever owned, and I will miss it deeply.
2. I am in law school, have child support, and need to replace it with something under $500 (I have XTR, and everything else will transfer, so only a frame needed)

Any suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thoughtforfood said:
I have lubed everything (yes, even the seatpost), and I have what sounds like a crack. I am doubly suspicious of that because I can stand next to the bike on either side, put the pedal at 3 O'clock, step on it and hear it. I have also been running a 140mm fork on a frame made for 100mm. I used to just hear it in the big ring, but now it does it spinning up an incline in the middle and little rings. It is a late 90's IBIS that I love second only to my family. Seriously, I feel like I might cry at the prospect of replacing it for two reasons:
1. It was an awesome ride. Even with the 140mm it still handled well. I was working in a shop at the time, called IBIS in Cali (we didn't carry their frames, but I wanted one), and asked if they would employee purchase one for a shop that didn't carry their frames. The guy on the phone was cool as sh!t and said he had one in a special color (Young Asparagus) that he would sell me on their E-purchase plan. It is the most beautiful bike I have ever owned, and I will miss it deeply.
2. I am in law school, have child support, and need to replace it with something under $500 (I have XTR, and everything else will transfer, so only a frame needed)

Any suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated.

Any chance you just need a new bb? The big ring stresses a bike almost as much as the granny. Especially since you can make it creak by pushing on the crank. You need a good crack sniffer lol, an old friend could find a crack on a bike and we always called him a pro crack sniffer.

A

Anonymous

JRTinMA said:
Any chance you just need a new bb? The big ring stresses a bike almost as much as the granny. Especially since you can make it creak by pushing on the crank. You need a good crack sniffer lol, an old friend could find a crack on a bike and we always called him a pro crack sniffer.

The BB is sealed and spins freely with no crank on. I might buy one an replace it just in case before buying a new one, but even then, it handles okay with the 140mm, but the HT angle is slack enough that it flops a bit sometimes. If there isn't a crack, I still may buy a new frame and build up the IBIS with a rigid front fork for those times when I want an old school ride.

A

Anonymous

I have decided on getting an On One Carbon 456 frame, which will be delivered for $500.11...thanks for all the help...:rolleyes:

(an genuine thanks to JRT)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I have decided on getting an On One Carbon 456 frame, which will be delivered for $500.11...thanks for all the help...:rolleyes:

(an genuine thanks to JRT)

So you went "Chinese frame with peace of mind". Not bad at all. Nice sticking so close to your target price :D

I like their 29er carbon frame a lot but it's quite a hefty price compared to the direct from the mainland frames (about double I'd wager)...so I haven't pulled the trigger on either. Indeciveness is fun :cool:

It'd be cool if you post an update on your thoughts about the frame once received and built up. I imagine they don't ship it with the same nit-pickers that seem to accompany the direct frames, i.e. resin in the BB threads.

TRENDING THREADS