• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fully doped cycling? 65km TDF Stage 17

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mod hat on:

Hi folks,

Just a note that the phrase which is causing offense is currently under discussion between the mods. We’d ask that you always refrain from using offensive terms, particularly if another user requests it. If we think anyone is using it to purposefully inflame another user then we will deal with it as we would any other trolling.

Cheers,

KB.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Batshit crazy conspiracy talk I can cope with. Use of offensive terminology I can't. C'mon people, grow up.
Don't ever take a senior level EM physics course then... You'll spend months calculating *** potentials. Meh. I just can't get worked up over words and labels. If you really find a word offensive, it's usually better to co-opt it to rob it of any power.

John Swanson

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Mod hat on:

Hi folks,

Just a note that the phrase which is causing offense is currently under discussion between the mods. We’d ask that you always refrain from using offensive terms, particularly if another user requests it. If we think anyone is using it to purposefully inflame another user then we will deal with it as we would any other trolling.

Cheers,

KB.

Good luck with that. EVERYTHING is offensive to some group of people. Some of you are offended right now!

John Swanson

I can see and respect why some find the word offensive. I don't, in the context it has been used in in the Clinic. I suggest the best way forward is to change the thread title to 'Full on' cause it has good potential as a thread to roll on...

Re: Re:

ScienceIsCool said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Batshit crazy conspiracy talk I can cope with. Use of offensive terminology I can't. C'mon people, grow up.
Don't ever take a senior level EM physics course then... You'll spend months calculating *** potentials. Meh. I just can't get worked up over words and labels. If you really find a word offensive, it's usually better to co-opt it to rob it of any power.

John Swanson
Let’s not draw ridiculous false equivalencies, is patently obvious that the proper use of the term is not going to cause offense and that’s clearly not the problem here.

King Boonen said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:

John Swanson
Let’s not draw ridiculous false equivalencies, is patently obvious that the proper use of the term is not going to cause offense and that’s clearly not the problem here.

Indeed. The term is clearly being used in a pejorative manner, not in any scientific or technical context.

Re:

ferryman said:
I can see and respect why some find the word offensive. I don't, in the context it has been used in in the Clinic. I suggest the best way forward is to change the thread title to 'Full on' cause it has good potential as a thread to roll on...
It's basic definition is to go backwards or hold back progress, which is clearly not what is meant in this context since it's in reference to people going faster, not slower.

Rather it's expressing commentary about mental aspects of the sport, and that's why it's offensive.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
ferryman said:
It's basic definition is to go backwards or hold back progress, which is clearly not what is meant in this context since it's in reference to people going faster, not slower.

Rather it's expressing commentary about mental aspects of the sport, and that's why it's offensive.
I know and don't disagree. That's why I suggested 'Full on' rather than 'Full mental' or 'Full Crazy' which I assume you would find equally offensive. Not looking for a fight here!! KB, just change it to 'Full on' and let the thread roll. FWIW, I think Movistar will hit this stage hard with Valverde being the carrot everyone will have to catch...

Re:

ferryman said:

I agree. It’s going to be a long thread come the Tour with a lot of Clinic talk about it. Thread must stay no matter what the title. It will be controversial all on its own.

thehog said:
ferryman said:

I agree. It’s going to be a long thread come the Tour with a lot of Clinic talk about it. Thread must stay no matter what the title. It will be controversial all on its own.
The thread is fine as long as it is discussing doping. It’s clear from your OP that’s what you intended so as long as people stick to that it’s fine.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:

John Swanson

*** means delayed. The context is all in the usage. In this case it means "stupid". Don't go fully stupid. This does not denigrate anyone except Froome. It has absolutely no reference to someone who is mentally delayed. Froome has and will go full genius.

John Swanson

ScienceIsCool said:
King Boonen said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:

John Swanson

*** means delayed. The context is all in the usage. In this case it means "stupid". Don't go fully stupid. This does not denigrate anyone except Froome. It has absolutely no reference to someone who is mentally delayed. Froome has and will go full genius.

John Swanson

You don’t know where the term is coming from do you? I think you should educate yourself before commenting further.

King Boonen said:
thehog said:
ferryman said:

The thread is fine as long as it is discussing doping. It’s clear from your OP that’s what you intended so as long as people stick to that it’s fine.

Ferryman, was another mod, not me but I’ll take the credit ;) hopefully the thread can stay on topic now.
I would have gone for Alex’s suggestion of “bat *** crazy cycling?” thread.... but good for now! Bring on the motors!! :cool:

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
ScienceIsCool said:
King Boonen said:
ScienceIsCool said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:

John Swanson

John Swanson

You don’t know where the term is coming from do you? I think you should educate yourself before commenting further.
Yeah. The origin is from delayed mentally. Colloquialized to mean stupid. Co-opted to mean that some cyclists do stupid things that we are supposed to believe are normal. <--- Has nothing to do with people with mental handicaps. Heaven forbid a Brit you know smokes a dearest comrade...

John <the horror!!> Swanson

ScienceIsCool said:
Yeah. The origin is from delayed mentally. Colloquialized to mean stupid. Co-opted to mean that some cyclists do stupid things that we are supposed to believe are normal. <--- Has nothing to do with people with mental handicaps. Heaven forbid a Brit you know smokes a dearest comrade...

You need to google it with Tropic Thunder and full, then move the discussion to the moderator a thread if you wish it to continue please.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

King Boonen said:
ScienceIsCool said:

You need to google it with Tropic Thunder and full, then move the discussion to the moderator a thread if you wish it to continue please.

Tropic Thunder is a great movie.

John Swanson

Re:

42x16ss said:
I just hope Movistar get the whole leadership committee and at least one other in the front group and wreak total havoc.

IF Soler can manage his recovery and if he's learned from last year's Vuelta it's possible he could be there. He has the potential to be there. Also remember Amador has a top 5 in a Grand Tour (the Giro), so it's possible he could be there. Thus meaning it's possible they could end up with 5 riders in that group. IF that happens I'd definitely except them to definitely try something.

ScienceIsCool said:
*** means delayed. The context is all in the usage. In this case it means "stupid". Don't go fully stupid. This does not denigrate anyone except Froome. It has absolutely no reference to someone who is mentally delayed.
But it does - because in this context it's a pejorative relative term. It's comparing Froome's supposed actions (i.e. cheating) with those who face real challenges in life, and that's offensive to those people and the ones who support and care for them. It's a casual form of discrimination.

I get that people want to suggest a different level of cheating might apply because it's a short stage, but using a pejorative term to suggest such actions are equivalent to what people with intellectual disability would normally do is the problem.

Oh please. Give it up. It’s an inversion of meaning in the way that enemy came to mean guest and host in indo european languages.

Froome started a bike genius and confounds when he goes full on.

No one is disregarding or disparaging those challenged with birth/genetic liabilities.