• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fun With Chalkbot 2010

My inspirational message was, apparently, laid down somewhere in France.

betsychalkrobot.jpg

What' really sick though, is they use the email notification to sell you a customized ($40 USD!) t-shirt that you can put a custom inspirational message while enriching Nike and Team Pharmstrong. The vague reference to cancer at the bottom of the T-shirt designer gui is a little sickening.

Here's my custom messaged shirt!
betsy5.jpg

I won't grace them with my $40 USD though. What's funny is they filter the words you can use on the shirt. "Armstrong Dopes" comes out as "Courage Dopes." "The Shack Dopes" throws an error message saying it's violates usage guidelines. "Nike Dopes" works. "Armstrong Tyrants Dope" doesn't work. "Dope" is in their forbidden list. "Dopes" is not, so "Armstrong Tyrant Dopes" works...

May 17, 2010
Visit site
im completely terrible with gps especially as im using hours and minutes on google maps to find what stage. it looks like it was stage 11, Sisteron to Bourg les Valence.

DirtyWorks said:
My inspirational message was, apparently, laid down somewhere in France.

I don't see anything funny in this. I don't know Betsy well but is she really fighting this or is this some fake? And what does this have to do with the Clinic. Please take it out of here.

Cozy Beehive said:
I don't see anything funny in this. I don't know Betsy well but is she really fighting this or is this some fake? And what does this have to do with the Clinic. Please take it out of here.

Ron, I agree with you on most things but in this case not. I see the relevance of the post, the message, the reference to B.A. and think it's perfectly suited for the Clinic. And I lost my father to cancer! I certainly respect your opinion and feelings, however, though if you suggest moving the thread out of the Clinic, where do you think the more appropriate place is - General? I wonder, because the OP has doping at the heart of his chalkbot msg and post here.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
So, uh, does this "chalk" stuff wash off? Because it's not like they print it on mountain roads. I saw them on TV, and it was a 3 km stretch of this ugly yellow block lettering through a residential area. The local authorities can't be happy about it.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
So, uh, does this "chalk" stuff wash off easy? Because it's not like they print it on mountain roads. I saw it on TV, and it was a 3 km stretch of this ugly, yellow, block lettering through a residential area. The local authorities can't be happy about it.

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Phil and Paul said on the SBS coverage that it's 'blown' off the following day. Not sure by whom, or exactly how. You guys can conjure the appropriate imagery.

The line can be blurry between corporate sponsorship and charity eh?

133070281.jpg

Edit: the pic above is linked from twitpic. The link might expire. Original URL here.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
goggalor said:
So, uh, does this "chalk" stuff wash off easy? Because it's not like they print it on mountain roads. I saw it on TV, and it was a 3 km stretch of this ugly, yellow, block lettering through a residential area. The local authorities can't be happy about it.

The local authoritories hate it. but mainly because they love cancer

roundabout said:
What's the deal with chalkbot anyway? It's not like they are spreading a message because an average TV viewer can only see a blocky yellow blur.

The OP's comment that they then try to sell you a t-shirt with the slogan on for $40 might be some indication of what it's for.

Is that .com or .org proceeds?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
My message: (sorry I couldn't post the pic)

4CAST:
100% CHANCE OF PROSECUTION
- TIFOSA

I'll be looking for it on the remaining roads to Paris. :p

Clarifications

Roland Rat said:
The OP's comment that they then try to sell you a t-shirt with the slogan on for $40 might be some indication of what it's for.

Is that .com or .org proceeds?

I was a little too succinct with the original post.

1. There's a link in the email to buy a customized ****strong T-shirt. The customization is any message that fits their technical requirements, satisfies their legal requirements.
2. The site is clearly Nike's with a vague reference to how much they have contributed to cancer charity(ies?) But there is no message like 'X% of the proceeds will be contributed to Y. This is a perfect example of a greenwash. "Nike uses Cancer" would be an appropriate message here.

3. I thought 'The Clinic' was the most likely audience for the topic.

4. Having cared for and lost my mum to a form of cancer, I think I'm pretty well grounded on the issue.

5. I think Betsy's a visible symbol of what happens to persons unwilling to use the Pharmstrong Newspeak. It was always intended as a subversive way to spread the word about a more realistic set of facts surrounding the Pharmstrong machine and support the rest of the Betsy Andreu's spurned from the Pharmstrong machine.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Those Livestrong people certainly don't have any sense of moderation, do they. It really ****ed me off when I saw what they had done to the Tourmalet.

When they abuse the tradition of road graffitti to get free marketing space like this, the only thing they will achieve is, that french authorities will begin to charge. And then ordinary cycling fans camping by the road won't be able to write anything. They are ruining old traditions with their greed. Plus it is tasteless.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
Those Livestrong people certainly don't have any sense of moderation, do they. It really ****ed me off when I saw what they had done to the Tourmalet.

When they abuse the tradition of road graffitti to get free marketing space like this, the only thing they will achieve is, that french authorities will begin to charge. And then ordinary cycling fans camping by the road won't be able to write anything. They are ruining old traditions with their greed. Plus it is tasteless.

Anyone who doesn't embrace the idea of huge Nike swooshes splashed across every Km of every road in France is a cancer lover.

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
HL2037 said:

I find it rude and offensive. If I lived there I'd p1ss on it to show my disdain.:mad:

TRENDING THREADS