• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future GT Winner (Edition 2016)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win a Grand Tour?

• Adam Yates

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • Miguel Ángel López

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • Rafal Majka

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 45 29.8%

• Total voters
Chaves is clearly the safe bet. Lopez why not, but he has to show he is able to do well for 3 weeks.

Landa maybe, but he has to confirm his Giro 2015, even if he has the legs to win a climby GT I think.

And Pinot if he is able to be more consistant during 3 weeks.

Lopez - far too early to really have any real idea. Lets reassess after he's completed a couple of GTs.
Bardet - maybe, he may be hampering himself by putting all his eggs in the TDF basket
Landa - poor ITT kneecaps him, not sure UK Postal's the right team in any case
Majka - not sure he has that something extra, he'd need everything to go his way (prob others having accidents/illness)
A.Yates - I have my doubts. seems to avoid absolutely disastrous days but tends to race rather passively. Mediocre ITT doesn't help nor poor positioning skills
Pinot - whilst I think he can be "thereabouts", I'm just not sure he'll be able to beat those who are more consistent TTers
Chaves - probably the best outright climber on this list. his ITT has improved but will never be a strength.Think he might snag 1-2 but more likely Vuelta or Giro than Tour
Kruijswijk - podium = quite possible, might need everything to go his way if he's to win one
Porte - in short NO !! excellent super-dom but hasn't the brains nor the sound judgement under pressure. ITT inconsistent and frankly over-rated

There's nobody on this list I'd assume will win a GT, other than Dumoulin getting a second at some point. But there's also nobody on this list I'd put money on not winning a GT at some point, although Majka seems unlikely. People forget just how random winners of GTs can be, particularly the Vuelta but also editions of the Giro with a weak field. Recent GT winners include Cobo, Hesjedal, Horner, Aru and Scarponi none of whom were obviously in a superior league to these guys.

A rider can even get lucky with the opposition or parcours at the Tour as both Nibali and Wiggins did. Nibali was already a proven GT winner, but most of the guys above could win a Tour like his without developing to his level with a couple of well placed crashes.

There are thirty or forty riders who could win a Vuelta if the perfect circumstances arose. Weak field plus a couple of lucky incidents plus the form of his life.