• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future GT Winner (Edition 2016)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win a Grand Tour?

• Adam Yates

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • Miguel Ángel López

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • Rafal Majka

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 45 29.8%

• Total voters
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
How the hell Contador or Valverde, or any of those older guys were never sick?! Or they never talk about that? These younger generations could learn a thing or two from their older colleagues. Shut up and ride, let the legs do the talking!

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Mr.White said:
How the hell Contador or Valverde, or any of those older guys were never sick?! Or they never talk about that? These younger generations could learn a thing or two from their older colleagues. Shut up and ride, let the legs do the talking!

Every rider suffers misfortunes, just some more than others. Contador crashed out of the tour in 2014 and 2016. Yes, that's different from being sick but they are both due to rotten luck. Yes, you can often times avoid crashes through situational awareness and positioning just like how you can avoid being ill (i'm not sure how a rider would do that, but you seem to be insinuating that is possible).

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Mr.White said:
Wasn't Valverde sick by the end of Tour 2014?

Maybe he was, but he never said so...

Alexandre B. said:
Mr.White said:
Wasn't Valverde sick by the end of Tour 2014?

I think he was just out of form.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Durden93 said:
Mr.White said:

Every rider suffers misfortunes, just some more than others. Contador crashed out of the tour in 2014 and 2016. Yes, that's different from being sick but they are both due to rotten luck. Yes, you can often times avoid crashes through situational awareness and positioning just like how you can avoid being ill (i'm not sure how a rider would do that, but you seem to be insinuating that is possible).

I'm talking about whining here! I'm talking about finding excuses

Durden93 said:
Yes, that's different from being sick but they are both due to rotten luck.
Disagree completely. Getting sick is a clear sign your body is weak. All riders get in touch with countless bacteria and viruses during a three week race. Some of them get sick, some others don't. It's not a matter of luck, it's a matter of recovery and stamina.

No wonder the best GT riders rarely get sick. How many times have Contador, Nibali and Froome abandon a GT for illness?

SafeBet said:
Durden93 said:
Yes, that's different from being sick but they are both due to rotten luck.
Disagree completely. Getting sick is a clear sign your body is weak. All riders get in touch with countless bacteria and viruses during a three week race. Some of them get sick, some others don't. It's not a matter of luck, it's a matter of recovery and stamina.

No wonder the best GT riders rarely get sick. How many times have Contador, Nibali and Froome abandon a GT for illness?
What about hayfever? Gastro from poor hotel food? Getting sick from a soigneur or teammate? Not dressing correctly for a cold day?

It's not necessarily about recovery and stamina. Experience? Probably, as you race more you get better at minimising your chances, but getting sick isn't necessarily a sign of weakness.

Bob Jungels :p
Dumoulin showed how that it is possible to convert from a mainly TT-guy into a contender. So in 2-3 years? Why not. Look where Dumoulin was 2 years ago? He finished 6th in the Vuelta. Jungels was now 6th and 8th in the Giro.

I think Lopez will definitely win one, the ceiling is just too high. Chaves and Landa and are up in the air, I don't see Pinot, Bardet, Kruijswijk and Porte winning without some really good luck while I definitely can't see Majka and Yates winning one, especially not the former who quite frankly doesnt belong on this list.