• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future GT Winner (Edition 2016)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win a Grand Tour?

• Adam Yates

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • Miguel Ángel López

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • Rafal Majka

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 45 29.8%

• Total voters
Re:

Netserk said:
@kingjr

He will probably only ride the Tour, but even if he rode the others, they don't suit him at all. I doubt he'll get a podium, but it could happen.

Thx

I gave him my vote cause looking at how good he can be when he's at his best, he might just about win one (at max). If he can keep it together over 3 weeks.

I do agree that Pinot might win a Giro, he can be so good when he doesn't get smothered by the pressure surrounding the TdF.

This guy.
sptdw5049_670.jpg

Realistically, I think that Lopez will be the best GT rider of all these guys. But will he be the next one? Chaves and Bardet (Kruijswijk was fine too) have been the best this year.

I think Pinot is good enough to win a GT once he can get away from riding the Tour, solid TT and a terrific climber who to me looks well suited to the Giro. Chaves and Yates are the others most likely on that poll, unsure yet on Lopez as we are yet to see him get a chance to show himself in a GT. The rest are podium contenders unless others drop out of the race through injury or illness or we see a weak GC I don't see them winning a GT.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Pinot winning the Giro, that wouldn't really surprise me, maybe some of the Italian descents could be a bit of a problem for him, but other than that the Giro would be perfect for him.
I somehow have the feeling that Kruijswijk will never again come this close.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Yeah, Pinot winning the Giro, that wouldn't really surprise me, maybe some of the Italian descents could be a bit of a problem for him, but other than that the Giro would be perfect for him.
Kruijswijk's the Dutch Basso as we saw this year and Pinot's descending is even worse. Zero chance at the Giro. Should go for the Vuelta instead as he showed some quality on punchy climbs at last year's il Lombardia.

For me it has to be Chaves...

Is the huge revelation of the year, he yet needs to work on TTs, but he has a good margin to improve there, he rode on Spain with the best of the best and dethroned Contador on his same game (We all knew that he was going to attack, but still was unexpected), he also has a good team and now the team knows that this guy is GT material, so if they can work with him on TTs, there is a huge shot at winning a GT.

The other option for me is Landa, but he needs consistance, he is always going good, but something always happens...

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
Mayomaniac said:
Kruijswijk's the Dutch Basso as we saw this year and Pinot's descending is even worse. Zero chance at the Giro. Should go for the Vuelta instead as he showed some quality on punchy climbs at last year's il Lombardia.
If Kruijswijk is the Dutch Basso I don't even want to think about someone like Kelderman...
The big problem with Pinot riding the Vuelta is probably the heat.

Lopez is definitely the rider with the biggest future prospects. Quality climber and a more than decent time trialist.

Can't see Chaves winning, unless he improves his time trial drastically. Right now his climbing isn't good enough to completely compensate for his lack of time trialing skills.

I could see Kruijswijk winning. Let's not forget that he was only a crash away from winning the Giro this year. That is more than you can say for anyone else in this poll.
I also think Landa could win a GT. When he's at his best, he is by far the best climber of all the GC riders mentioned in the poll.

Re:

Red Rick said:
I think it would be nice to make a list of all active riders holding a GT title, and to list all active GC riders by year with say, a top 5 in a GT. That might show us how much we should expect from the 23-24 year old crowd to make it. I may get the idea that we're consistently overexpecting from that crowd.

Aru (1990)
Quintana (1990)
Horner (1653)
Froome (1985)
Wiggins (1980)
Nibali (1984)
Valverde (1980)
Contador (1982)
Cunego (1981)

Very short list and 3 of them will ride their last year next season (Cunego, Contador, Wiggins) and Horner also who knows :p

Billie said:
Red Rick said:
I think it would be nice to make a list of all active riders holding a GT title, and to list all active GC riders by year with say, a top 5 in a GT. That might show us how much we should expect from the 23-24 year old crowd to make it. I may get the idea that we're consistently overexpecting from that crowd.

Aru
Quintana
Horner
Froome
Wiggins
Nibali
Valverde
Contador
Cunego

Very short list and 3 of them will ride their last year next season (Cunego, Contador, Wiggins) and Horner also who knows :p

I think the Tour of Britain was Wiggins' last last last last last road race. So he is off the list as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Oliwright said:
Angel Lopez HASNT EVEN FINISHED A GT YET! Most overrated rider in history
No way is he the next winner. It's basically depends on who we think we will the Giro.
Ie Chaves or Yates imo
Yea but it's who will win in the future, not necessarily the next new GT winner.

Sciocco said:
Oliwright said:
No way is he the next winner. It's basically depends on who we think we will the Giro.
Ie Chaves or Yates imo
Yea but it's who will win in the future, not necessarily the next new GT winner.

Fair enough my bad! Yeah he might win one some day. Still think we should wait till he finished a GT.

Re:

Singer01 said:
Why only one Yates?
Simon isn't quite good enough on the longer climbs and the TT to win. He'll get plenty of stages and top 10s, but I can't see him ever standing on the top step.

He'll very likely bag a Liege, San Sebastian and/or Lombardia win though, that's the type of rider he is. Hopefully Orica back him as early as Lombardia this year.

Billie said:
Red Rick said:

Aru (1990)
Quintana (1990)
Horner (1653)
Froome (1985)
Wiggins (1980)
Nibali (1984)
Valverde (1980)
Contador (1982)
Cunego (1981)

Wigans finished at TOB, but doesn't Contador have a two year deal with Trek? I may be wrong though. Has Valverde said anything about his future?

42x16ss said:
Billie said:
Red Rick said:

Aru (1990)
Quintana (1990)
Horner (1653)
Froome (1985)
Wiggins (1980)
Nibali (1984)
Valverde (1980)
Contador (1982)
Cunego (1981)

Wigans finished at TOB, but doesn't Contador have a two year deal with Trek? I may be wrong though. Has Valverde said anything about his future?

He's in negotiations to extend with Movistar, apparently.

Oliwright said:
Sciocco said:
Oliwright said:
Ie Chaves or Yates imo

Fair enough my bad! Yeah he might win one some day. Still think we should wait till he finished a GT.

He has shown enough in the week long stage races to suggest that he has the potential to win a GT in the future.

Being a Colombian climber it's highly unlikely that he won't have the recovery capacity to last three weeks.

Re:

Singer01 said:
Why only one Yates?
it will be very difficult for anybody to win a GT over the next 2-3 years, the big 4 have won 11 of the last 12, and it would have probably been all 12 if Froome and Quintana hadn't dropped out of the Vuelta last year. Therefore although i think if all the stars align Richie Porte is talent wise the best of the rest, i really can't see him winning a GT.
If Landa can get his Giro legs back he will win a GT.

10 of the last 12: Horner seems to have slipped your mind.

42x16ss said:
Singer01 said:
Why only one Yates?
Simon isn't quite good enough on the longer climbs and the TT to win. He'll get plenty of stages and top 10s, but I can't see him ever standing on the top step.

He'll very likely bag a Liege, San Sebastian and/or Lombardia win though, that's the type of rider he is. Hopefully Orica back him as early as Lombardia this year.

He might even actually know it...

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Voted Bardet, Pinot and Landa. Stephen (not going to try and spell his last name lol) is older so he has fewer opportunities. Would people rather see Tom stay as he is and win the world TTs+ stage races or try to change and go for GTs?

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I went for Yates (the youngest and biggest potential, chaves he climbs great and if he focuses on vuelta he can win, Lopez although that's a bit of a gamble he's so young and not completed a gt and lands by far the most likely of the list on form i would say only froome would certainly beat him