• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future of grand tours

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:
Bring back time bonuses.

More hilly, mountain TT's. TDF hasn't had a mountain one since 2004!

Something a bit more decisive in week one to break up the GC. Maybe even throw in Venteoux on occasion late in week one of Tour.
Agree, agree, and agree. Fact: Not a single breakaway on a mountain stage in this year's tour was brought back after Wiggins took the yellow. Guaranteed, other teams will start pushing the peloton if bonus seconds are at stake on each stage, rather than just real time.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
robert_c said:
Same goes for the FIA in Formula 1.

BTW, next year water bottles have to be round for the TT's. No aerodynamic bottles.
Isn't the rule that the maximal cross section is 10 cm, minimal cross section is 4 cm, and volume should be 400-800 ml?
It doesn't have to be round does it?

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Magnus said:
Isn't the rule that the maximal cross section is 10 cm, minimal cross section is 4 cm, and volume should be 400-800 ml?
It doesn't have to be round does it?

I heard it has to be round, but I think my source was Phil Liggett, so...

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
And what kind of safety issue is it if a waterbottle is shaped irregularly? Is the fear that somebody is going to shape their waterbottle like a spear, and then, when the bike hits the ground after a crash, the waterbottle will pop up off the ground and hit the cyclist in the back of the neck, paralysing him for life from the neck down? Otherwise, I'm stumped as to that one...

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
And what kind of safety issue is it if a waterbottle is shaped irregularly? Is the fear that somebody is going to shape their waterbottle like a spear, and then, when the bike hits the ground after a crash, the waterbottle will pop up off the ground and hit the cyclist in the back of the neck, paralysing him for life from the neck down? Otherwise, I'm stumped as to that one...

http://inrng.com/2011/12/uci-bottles-rules/

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
SetonHallPirate said:
And what kind of safety issue is it if a waterbottle is shaped irregularly?

The guy who runs in the Clean Bottle suit does not pose a danger to riders or any fans. If his costume were shaped more aerodynamically or even just irregularly there is a chance he could cause a crash in the peloton.

TRENDING THREADS