• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future of Radioshack

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
One has to question whether there is a future for the RadioShack team. The contract with RadioShack is, I believe, up this year and renewal is, in my opinion, doubtful. Go into a RadioShack and there is nothing about the cycling team. Sales emails that I receive from RadioShack have nothing about the cycling team. As far as I can see, there is nothing in RadioShack's marketing/sales efforts that ties in the cycling team.

As for the team itself, the injuries on the Tour have been devasting, but the top riders on the team is getting any younger and is there next great talent there.

It is foolish, of course, to underestimate Johan B

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Who's out of contract at the end of the year for Radioshack?

I'd guess that one of the three old guys might not be resigned if their contract is up (Leipheimer/Kloden/Horner). All have actually been very good this year (Leipheimer won TDS, Horner won Cali, 2nd in Pais-Vasco, 4th in Catalunya, Kloden won Pais-Vasco, 2nd in Paris-Nice), but they do need to get younger. I'd expect them to stick with Brajkovic and try to add TJVG... but you'd think they'd need to clear some room to make that work.

Busche and Hermans look very promising. Machado and Deignan have shown talent. Kwiatkowski, Sergent and Rovny are young guys who people have thought had bright futures. There are younger pieces with bright futures on the team to go along with the 3 old guys.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Who's out of contract at the end of the year for Radioshack?

I'd guess that one of the three old guys might not be resigned if their contract is up (Leipheimer/Kloden/Horner). All have actually been very good this year (Leipheimer won TDS, Horner won Cali, 2nd in Pais-Vasco, 4th in Catalunya, Kloden won Pais-Vasco, 2nd in Paris-Nice), but they do need to get younger. I'd expect them to stick with Brajkovic and try to add TJVG... but you'd think they'd need to clear some room to make that work.

Busche and Hermans look very promising. Machado and Deignan have shown talent. Kwiatkowski, Sergent and Rovny are young guys who people have thought had bright futures. There are younger pieces with bright futures on the team to go along with the 3 old guys.

Kloden does not have a contract for next year the other 2 not sure about. I have a feeling Kloden will end up at Saxo for a year or 2

Will be interesting to see who they send to the Vuelta in light of events at the Tour, could be a real, real strong team. They were probably going with Machado, Hermans as leaders origianlly with some of the younger guys but real possibility that some of the bigger guys could be there instead now.

pmcg76 said:
Will be interesting to see who they send to the Vuelta in light of events at the Tour, could be a real, real strong team. They were probably going with Machado, Hermans as leaders origianlly with some of the younger guys but real possibility that some of the bigger guys could be there instead now.

it was supposed to be machado and kloden as leaders. machado already got a confirmation from thehog that he will ride the vuelta as team leader. i curious to see if they will send nelson oliveira to the vuelta as well

Parrulo said:
it was supposed to be machado and kloden as leaders. machado already got a confirmation from thehog that he will ride the vuelta as team leader. i curious to see if they will send nelson oliveira to the vuelta as well
Bruyneel wrote on his blog that Jani would be one of the leaders:

Jani - back home and on his trainer (nothing can stop Jani from finding somehow someway somewhere to ride a bike). He will prepare for the Vuelta and go there as one of our leaders, along with Tiago Machado. If you remember Jani wore the leader's jersey in 2006. Seeing how much he's improved since then, I think he can be a serious contender for the Spanish Grand Tour.

i didn't say he would be the only leader . . .

he was supposed to co lead with kloden. maybe brajkovic will also join now. i hope his collarbone fracture is a simple one because the vuelta is 2 weeks earlier this year and doesn't give him a lot of time to recover

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
2 more years of fail, should be brutal.

Apart from the odd 3 day race with a prologue.

They wont sell many Nissans or these other electronic devices that nobody buys in Europe.
Watching the veterans getting the crap kicked out of them will be funny though in the bigger races. Horner is still good at 39 but I have no time for any of their other riders particularly.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
Apart from the odd 3 day race with a prologue.

They wont sell many Nissans or these other electronic devices that nobody buys in Europe.
Watching the veterans getting the crap kicked out of them will be funny though in the bigger races. Horner is still good at 39 but I have no time for any of their other riders particularly.

RS did win the Tour de Suisse and Pais-Vasco this year, as well as a nice 2nd in Paris-Nice (and 2nd in Pais-Vasco too).

Those are among the top non-GT stage races.

Ryo Hazuki said:
radioshack will have seruous cut in their budget right?
Don't know how serious, but the budget will be less than this year. Could mean that they have to rely on the younger riders & neo pros. Could even be an advantage. Someone like McEwen and maybe Kloeden going away and some youngsters from Trek-Livestrong in, might make them more interesting to me.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't really seem to be any long-term plan at RS - they're not a Classics team, and with Kloden, Leipheimer, Horner all nearing the end of their ride, not really a GT team, either. Unless the hope is that Brajkovic develops into a GC'er for the GT's, they don't really seem to have a clear direction.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
VeloCity said:
Doesn't really seem to be any long-term plan at RS - they're not a Classics team, and with Kloden, Leipheimer, Horner all nearing the end of their ride, not really a GT team, either. Unless the hope is that Brajkovic develops into a GC'er for the GT's, they don't really seem to have a clear direction.

The direction is obvious. Masters racing.

VeloCity said:
Their scope is 2 years, which is the period of the new contract with the sponsors. In the USA, Leipheimer and Horner are probably heroes, so you can't blame the team for assigning them as team leaders. Actually, RS does have some good youngsters: Machado, Hermans (leaving next season), Sergent. Kwiatkowski could be a future star.

TRENDING THREADS