• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future Tour De France Route

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I was reading an article in Cyclosport the other day where it says the tour organisers had looked into a tour route which doesn't go to the Alps or Pyrenees. At the time I thought it was a stupid idea but having thought about more I think it could be pretty interesting. You could have stages in the Voges, Jura's (as seen today), Massive Central, Ardennes, hills of Brittany etc. Throw in some more cobbled stages, stages packed with small climbs like Liege Bastogne Liege and some more interesting finishes (atop smaller hills like the end of Fleche Wallone). You could have some interesting mountain top finishes on Mont Ventoux and Puy De Dome. You could even have stages on Corsica.

What do you think? Could they seriously do this and if so, do you think it would make for some interesting racing? Can you think of any decent climbs in the mountian ranges outside of the alps and pyrenees?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
is ventoux not in the alps?

To be honest, I was stretching the definition of what is and isn't in the Alps. To quote from Wikepedia, 'Mont Ventoux, although geologically part of the Alps, is often considered to be separate from them, due to the lack of mountains of a similar height nearby'

A

Anonymous

Corsica (1)
nlzujt.jpg

Corsica (2)
69qgp3.jpg

May 31, 2010
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
I think me and you must have read the same thing Lucky. IIRC the Passage du Gois was only gonna be in the neutral zone or right at the start of the stage.......so basically so it has no bearing on the actual race......how uninspiring by the ASO

yeah, grand depart in the vendee next year

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think the days of Puy de Dôme being used for a major cycling race (or any cycling race) are long gone.

Could we also fit in climbs like Sestriere and Isola 2000 whilst avoiding the (French) Alps?

TRENDING THREADS