• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future Winner of Spring Classic

Who will win a spring classic?

• Sylvain Chavanel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gloin22 said:
Betancur, Kwiatkowski, Sagan & Vanmarcke.

Why is Rodríguez on the list ? He won Fleche last year already.

With the big five I mean MS, RvV, PR, LBL, and AGR.

I forgot to add multiple choice, and I can't change that anymore, so the question is to predict the first of these to win a spring classic. Maybe that's better anyway.

Pantani_lives said:
These ten riders made the top 4 in one of the five big spring classics this year, but haven't won one yet. Who will be the first to win a spring classic in the future?

Can't include AGR with the rest, but if you do the list needs to be expanded further imo.

In any case Sagan is the man.
Personally would like to see Vanmarcke destroy Cancellara and Boonen in P-R sooner rather than later.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
1283102952JungelsBob.jpg

Sergio Henao should be on the list. AGR is not a monument and if it's included then so should be FW and San Sebastian and in so doing eliminates Purito from the list. I think though that he's going to win LBL before he stops racing.

Edit: My bad. San Sebastian shouldn't be on there since it's not in the spring.:eek:

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
Sergio Henao should be on the list. AGR is not a monument and if it's included then so should be FW and San Sebastian and in so doing eliminates Purito from the list. I think though that he's going to win LBL before he stops racing.

Edit: My bad. San Sebastian shouldn't be on there since it's not in the spring.:eek:

AGR is definitely better than Fleche, it seems people are still struggling with the idea AGR could be considered the 6th monument; even though it's a fact that it has one of the most impressive start lists of all spring classics.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
E3 is better than Amstel. Just look at the list of winners, and how it has been raced.

LOL. E3 is a nice prep race for Vlaanderen, that got more attention the past couple of years because Boonen and Cancellara really like it, but don't forget that before that it was a fairly second rate event, won by guys like Steven de Jongh. It has no identity of it's own, and will quickly go down in prestige once Cancellara and Boonen quit. The Amstel since it's introduction in the world cup in the beginning of the 90's has permanently become one of the more important classics of the year.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Sagan, he'll continue to improve from this year and get better and smarter in the way he races. And Cance can't dominate forever. Betancur and Vanmarcke next most likely, Purito too as long as he doesn't show a drop in performance that usually comes with age. Also should have put Stybar in the poll, I see him doing very well in future PR's.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
E3 is better than Amstel. Just look at the list of winners, and how it has been raced.

> E3 is just 200 kms.

> Flemish races always have the same pattern; pushing a peloton through a narrow gutter to force a selection. Attacking on one of the hills is very effective as a result, especially on the Pater/Taaienberg. It's what happens every year.

> AGR is a much more open race, and allows many different riders to win, attracting much more star riders than E3. That's why the list of winners isn't as 'impressive' as E3's.

Lanark said:
LOL. E3 is a nice prep race for Vlaanderen, that got more attention the past couple of years because Boonen and Cancellara really like it, but don't forget that before that it was a fairly second rate event, won by guys like Steven de Jongh. It has no identity of it's own, and will quickly go down in prestige once Cancellara and Boonen quit. The Amstel since it's introduction in the world cup in the beginning of the 90's has permanently become one of the more important classics of the year.
The last four times the double has been won, the same rider also won E3.

Pentacycle said:
> E3 is just 200 kms.

> Flemish races always have the same pattern; pushing a peloton through a narrow gutter to force a selection. Attacking on one of the hills is very effective as a result, especially on the Pater/Taaienberg. It's what happens every year.

> AGR is a much more open race, and allows many different riders to win, attracting much more star riders than E3. That's why the list of winners isn't as 'impressive' as E3's.
In E3 the real racing starts far out. In Amstel it's 30km out if we're lucky.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
The last four times the double has been won, the same rider also won E3.

The only thing that does is repeat that Cancellara and Boonen happen to really like this race in different words. It's a race with little value in itself, you'd be more successful arguing that Gent-Wevelgem is a real classic, although I personally dislike that race.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
In E3 the real racing starts far out. In Amstel it's 30km out if we're lucky.

Actually, I had more trouble watching E3 this year than AGR. E3 2012 was pretty bad as well, the only good edition I've seen was when Cancellara tricked Boonen in 2010. The overall level of competition for Boonen/Cancellara is just pathetic most of the times. AGR is much harder to win, even for outright favourites.

Pantani_lives said:
With the big five I mean MS, RvV, PR, LBL, and AGR.

I forgot to add multiple choice, and I can't change that anymore, so the question is to predict the first of these to win a spring classic. Maybe that's better anyway.

The five big classics are MSR, RvV, PR, LBL and GdL. AGR just isn't in the same league. Of course out of those five, one isn't raced in the spring but leaving it out is a bit artificial imho. With your logic, Gasparotto is in the same tier as Cunego as they both won one spring classic and has a better palmares than Purito which I don't really get as both Cunego and Rodriguez have had a much bigger impact in Ardennes let alone classics in general than many AGR winners like Gasparotto or Kreuziger.
Out of the list Sagan is a pretty sure thing at this point baring illness/injury. Vanmarcke will win one at least, I expect (Betancur will win at least one Ardennes classic but I'm not sure it'll be LBL) . Rodriguez should not be on the list. The others would need favourable circumstances and they are good enough to seize the opportunity should it present itself (Vansummeren isn't a better rider than them afterall and he did win PR) but I don't think it actually will happen.

Vanmarcke, Kwwiatowski and Sagan i am sure will win a spring Classic.
Betancur and JROD also have great chances too.
Roelandts and GVA have the best chances of the rest- though Kristoff could in the future, Terpstra will probably have to work, but is class and Chavanel needs his M-SR/ Flanders (from this year) form and to be on the wheel of any moves.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:

Ditto. Either AGR isn't on the list, or if it is, the FW should be.

Henao. That's my vote for winning a classic in the future. He could even grab a monument this year.

Pentacycle said:
AGR is definitely better than Fleche, it seems people are still struggling with the idea AGR could be considered the 6th monument; even though it's a fact that it has one of the most impressive start lists of all spring classics.

AGR v FW - You could throw a blanket over them, and Amstel's new finish this year was rubbish. On that basis, FW would be the better race. And both of those paled this year against Strade Bianche and Giro del Lazio, and as such Moser should also be on the list. Amstel the 6th monument? Really?

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The UCI World Cup that was held from 1989 to 2004 (I hope it will be revived one day) contained five events in spring: MSR, RVV, PR, AGR, LBL. AGR never obtained quite the same status as the other four, but IMO there's nothing wrong with calling these the five spring classics, even if other races are more exciting in some years.

TRENDING THREADS