• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gérard-Louis Robert of Montreal banned for 8 years

Didn't see this story anywhere.

From a bit earlier in June.

24 world titles and 21 Canadian Masters national track titles...........

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=32607&title=quebec-masters-athlete-receives-8-year-anti-doping-sanction

Looks like he owes a few people some medals.

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-02-10%2Bat%2B6.26.52%2BPM.png

https://twitter.com/MasterGerardL

He WAS selling a type of...ahem.."health" water: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jA_yrVuNFAAJ:athletes.aseaglobal.com/aseaathletes/gerardlouisrobert.aspx+&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

And for fun...

5a45012cc85e55b0718e355f701a1691.jpg

So a 67 year old, 2 Bordiani riders and a few Iranian cyclists have been issued with doping bans in 2017. Proof that Brian Cookson is clamping down on doping and is weeding out the cheaters. Meanwhile in the main peloton of elite riders everything is as clean as a whistle. There hasn't been a so called elite rider busted under Cookson's watch as president which is proof that the sport has changed.

Re:

ontheroad said:
So a 67 year old, 2 Bordiani riders and a few Iranian cyclists have been issued with doping bans in 2017. Proof that Brian Cookson is clamping down on doping and is weeding out the cheaters. Meanwhile in the main peloton of elite riders everything is as clean as a whistle. There hasn't been a so called elite rider busted under Cookson's watch as president which is proof that the sport has changed.
Really? I can think of at least 4 off the top of my head.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
ontheroad said:

Well in that case your definition of elite and mine must be different then.

ontheroad said:
King Boonen said:
ontheroad said:

If Stefano Pirazzi is not an "elite" pro rider then I guess I don't know who is?

ontheroad said:
King Boonen said:
ontheroad said:

Monument winners aren't elite?

Iglinsky brothers, Teirnan-Locke, Vorganov, Danielson, Davide Apollonino, Giampaolo Caruso. All past/present WT riders, all suspended under Cookson.

The problem is that anti-doping is it hasn't changed under Cookson. It's no better and no worse from what I can see.

This was mentioned on the newest installment of Bobke's Broomwagon - which you should watch if you don't already - and if I recall correctly he'd initially been given a four-year ban, tried to appeal and when - I presume - the appeal failed the authorities basically went "Well, instead of a four-year ban, you can get an eight-year ban! :D"

Re:

RedheadDane said:
This was mentioned on the newest installment of Bobke's Broomwagon - which you should watch if you don't already - and if I recall correctly he'd initially been given a four-year ban, tried to appeal and when - I presume - the appeal failed the authorities basically went "Well, instead of a four-year ban, you can get an eight-year ban! :D"

From the link in my post: " In response to the CCES' notification of the adverse analytical finding, Mr. Robert requested a hearing to determine the violation and whether the sanction period should be eliminated or reduced. On March 22, 2017, Arbitrator Patrice Brunet confirmed the violation and imposed a sanction of four years ineligibility from sport, which was subsequently appealed.

During the appeal, the Union Cycliste Internationale provided information to the CCES confirming that the athlete had a previous anti-doping rule violation from 2009. As a result, the CCES amended its original notification and, in accordance with Rule 10.7.1 of the Canadian Anti-Doping Program (CADP), proposed an eight-year period of ineligibility for the second anti-doping rule violation. In response, Mr. Robert abandoned the appeal and accepted the sanction. Since he agreed to a voluntary provisional suspension on October 11, 2016, his sanction will conclude October 10, 2024. The athlete, who resides in Montreal, Quebec, is ineligible to participate in any capacity with any sport signatory to the CADP, including training with teammates."