• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin Transitions and Cervelo to merge?

A

Anonymous

Interesting... This would suck for Jim Felt but the team would be very good. Haussler, Hushovd and Farrar.... Big weapons for the classics.

I wonder if they would just merge into one team or if they would do like Lampre-ISD and keep a pro continental team with talents. If they have problems getting all riders into one team they could perhaps keep two teams and make one focused on GCs and the other on classics.

JRTinMA said:
It would certainly be an impressive lead out train. Just to name a few:

Hammond
Haussler
Hushovd
Hunter
Farrar
Dean

Not sure who would get the last 250M but it would be quite a site.

Don't forget Lancaster. Haussler shouldn't be in a lead out train though. He's admitted himself that he's not very good at it and he's to strong to just take the position of lead out. The same goes for Farrar and Hushovd depending on who they would ride for.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Tondo would provide exceptional support in the mountains for vDv or Ryder, but there probably would be too many sprinting chefs in the kitchen for le Tour.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think there are too many talents and stars in both teams that many would leave in case of a merge. The fight for leadership would otherwise be massive.
I don't believe they'll merge.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Story on home page says 4:
Hushovd
Haussler
Klier
Hammond

Aka Cervelos classics and some of sprint team
In this case the Cervelo test team is as good as dead, they will probs stay pro conti but can wave good bye to invites. If this is true Garmin has just inherited an insane leadout train and should have countless cards to play on the cobbles!

Imagine a Paris Roubaix team:
Hushovd
Haussler
Hammond
Klier
Van Summeren
Maaskant
Farrar

So many cards to play its ridiculous

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sure, it's great for the classics, but if you have Hushovd and Farrar on the same squad then come Tour de France time you have the same problem HTC had this year, if not a worse one. Farrar is arguably faster than Hushovd on the dead flat, but Thor is going to contest stages that Tyler simply can't.

ttrider said:
Hushovd
Haussler
Klier
Hammond

In this case the Cervelo test team is as good as dead, they will probs stay pro conti but can wave good bye to invites. If this is true Garmin has just inherited an insane leadout train and should have countless cards to play on the cobbles!

Hushovd
Haussler
Hammond
Klier
Van Summeren
Maaskant
Farrar

Well, they will for sure finish top 17 in this years world ranking so their invites for the monuments will already be guaranteed. They would be like Footon-Servetto has been this year.

ttrider said:
Hushovd
Haussler
Klier
Hammond

Hushovd
Haussler
Hammond
Klier
Van Summeren
Maaskant
Farrar

That would be absolutely amazing for the classics, perhaps a bit too good (too many chefs?)

I hope that Hushovd in that case would finally be able to forget about the TDF, where Farrar would be the main sprinter anyway, and focus completely on the spring classics+ worlds.

ttrider said:
Hushovd
Haussler
Klier
Hammond

Hushovd
Haussler
Hammond
Klier
Van Summeren
Maaskant
Farrar

Wow.

If I were Haussler, Maaskant, or Van Summeren I'd be calling up Marc Madiot or Eric Boyer.

Jamsque said:
Sure, it's great for the classics, but if you have Hushovd and Farrar on the same squad then come Tour de France time you have the same problem HTC had this year, if not a worse one. Farrar is arguably faster than Hushovd on the dead flat, but Thor is going to contest stages that Tyler simply can't.

Perhaps Hushovd will step back from being sprinter in the Tour. Even he probably knows that he's getting older and not faster. He would probably prefer to be the guaranteed leader of RVV and Paris -Roubaix rather than being first sprinter in the Tour.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Perhaps Hushovd will step back from being sprinter in the Tour. Even he probably knows that he's getting older and not faster. He would probably prefer to be the guaranteed leader of RVV and Paris -Roubaix rather than being first sprinter in the Tour.

Well, he better get used to it, because I can't see any way JV is going to tell Farrar he is now the number 2 GT sprinter at Garmin.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Why is that so bad? Both are great stage hunters in arguably slightly different disciplines. Plus Thor might be able to get some wheel sucking closer to the line for points in stage sprints, for that green jersey.

maltiv said:
That would be absolutely amazing for the classics, perhaps a bit too good (too many chefs?)

I hope that Hushovd in that case would finally be able to forget about the TDF, where Farrar would be the main sprinter anyway, and focus completely on the spring classics+ worlds.

Exactly my thought. Liquigas have about 6 team leaders, yet only Basso (and nibali) have produced this year.

+ Garmin are proving to be one of the best teams around this year. Not just august. In the tour their (arguably )top 4 riders got injured on 4 consecutive days (zabriskie prologue, millar stage1 - ruined his tour, CVV stage 2 - ruined his season, Farrar stage 3 - ruined his tour) and they still got a top 10 and a few top 3s. With 6 fit riders. Their tour squad was full of amazing talents.

Then bring on august. People like Daniel Martin, Jack Bobridge, Svein Tuft are coming in and getting victories.

They have just so much talent in there.

To merge with Cervelo, i dont think will be good for them. THey should keep it as it is, and keep bringing in the results.

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
yeah but if the merger is simply the 4 best classics men from cervelo it cant all be bad news, 4 extra people wont take away to many opportunitys so long as 4 not so good people are released, I suggest:
Pate
Ricardo Vandervelde

Actually im not sure they seem to have a number of very good rider and then a load of crap who dont appear to be any better than american domestic level racers, fitting in 4 people should be no issue

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
What kinda budget do they have b/c I would think Thor at a minimum doesn't come cheap and Haussler for that matter.

True they dont come cheap, but doesnt garmin want a larger global presence? Isnt that why they signed Le Mevel?
I bet they have plenty of money to pay for Thor, and they will have to pay quite a bit to pay for Haussler's knee rehab and DUI charges. haha jk haussler is awesome!

TRENDING THREADS