• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin Vuelta

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Afrank said:
At least now they have a single GC leader they can get behind and put all their efforts into helping.

And Martin did have the best chance of the three IMO.
What about the ITTs? Big mistake by the DS, in this case, not having Talansky as the protected leader. He was their best rider, forget the loyalty crap. Although, the carelessness yesterday wouldn't have made much difference, who knows...

Did anybody believe Hesjedal could do anything at this Vuelta? But I mean anybody?

Hesjedal lost a lot of time in the first week of the Giro as well but he nearly fought for podium in the end, until he collapsed again the final mountain stages.

Don't count him out of a good classification because of 3 minutes. He's certain to go on the offensive again

Kotar_Rhakoz

BANNED
Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
cineteq said:
What about the ITTs? Big mistake by the DS, in this case, not having Talansky as the protected leader. He was their best rider, forget the loyalty crap. Although, the carelessness yesterday wouldn't have made much difference, who knows...

Did anybody believe Hesjedal could do anything at this Vuelta? But I mean anybody?

It depends on what you mean by doing anything, but I would never rule him out of a top 10 finish at the start of a GT. He could still do it but with Martin being a lot better than him so far it makes sense for him to work for Martin now.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hesjedal lost a lot of time in the first week of the Giro as well but he nearly fought for podium in the end, until he collapsed again the final mountain stages.

Don't count him out of a good classification because of 3 minutes. He's certain to go on the offensive again
Hesjedal's GTs
dpbQ5Y.png

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I dont think that Hesjedal went full gas in the last climb to the finish. Before the start of the climb, he was at the back of the peloton. Otherwise, it would be really strange because he finished behind the teammates of the leaders of the other teams.
@ Dazed and Confusion I actually believed that Hesjedal could do a top5 before the start of the race. What i dont understand is that Garmin did not get good results in a Gt since Giro 2012( and the 7th place of Talansky at the Vuelta). Is it because they are focusing too much on the stage races? Even though they recruited many climbers in the last 2 years, they still have no results since 2012.
Sorry for my english.

durtyfat said:
I dont think that Hesjedal went full gas in the last climb to the finish. Before the start of the climb, he was at the back of the peloton. Otherwise, it would be really strange because he finished behind the teammates of the leaders of the other teams.
@ Dazed and Confusion I actually believed that Hesjedal could do a top5 before the start of the race. What i dont understand is that Garmin did not get good results in a Gt since Giro 2012( and the 7th place of Talansky at the Vuelta). Is it because they are focusing too much on the stage races? Even though they recruited many climbers in the last 2 years, they still have no results since 2012.
Sorry for my english.

Lots of riders can do a top 5 in the Vuelta at the start imo. Only a group of Spaniards and the occasional season crash victim peaks somewhat for this race. Late in season, riders running on fumes or lacks motivation etc. So yea, Hesjedal could do a top 5 still, but now he needs to play his card very careful and get lucky with the morning break.

Don't have a good answer for Garmin's lack of recent GC success.

Apart from Hesjedal's imploding at 2013 Giro, they pretty much lost every leaders due to crashes and they simply got outclassed at 2013 TDF. Maybe they need to get some handling lessons to prevent stuff like this. (Hi Tyler)

But I have no idea why they sucked big time today. :eek:

Finally a succesfull day for Garmin!

Hesjedal wins a stage.

Dan Martin gains time to all but 5 GC riders. He may finish Vuelta around 6th or 7th in GC if he keeps showing what he is showing compared to other guys.

Nate Brown shows he can climb decently and will be an useful domestique in the future.

I'm happy. :D

Yeah, since Hesjedal has got his stage, it's now time for him to look after Dan and let Cardoso try to win his stage. He deserves that.

If Andre get into the right break once or twice, he may be back in contetion for something like 15th in GC. Not big in the great scheme of things, but it's always nice to score some WT points, since Garmin is now sitting worse than ever in UCI WT Teams Ranking.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Hesjedal is quite possibly the most reliable and selfless domestique of all the guys who are normally leaders. He has buried himself for Dan Martin's chances in quite a number of races.

yup. totally agree. i have no idea what these posts are intimating. he has over and over buried himself for his teammates. at dauphine he helped talansky several times. completely unselfish despite being a GT winner.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
He played a big part in Martin's LBL win and still managed IIRC 6th place himself. Also, the fact that he was as good in the 3rd week of this year's Giro as in the first suggests he's resisting age comparatively well.

I'm quite impressed with the amount of Garmin's riders that is able to hang onto the group on the climbs for quite long time. Van Summeren finished 57th today and he was only 6th best rider from the team. Fernandez was 8th best with 85th.

Also they have a chance to finish a GT with all 9 riders for the first time since Vuelta 2012.

TRENDING THREADS