• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gastro Internal Problems?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Why are pro cyclists so prone to these problems? I read about it quite a bit. Does this happen often because they usually dont eat much? Is it code for my doping program has a hiccup?

ozerulz said:
Why are pro cyclists so prone to these problems? I read about it quite a bit. Does this happen often because they usually dont eat much? Is it code for my doping program has a hiccup?
1. Your immune system gets weakened by riding hard 5 hours a day.
2. They eat a lot of energy gels, drinks etc which can give anyone diarrhea.
3. You can literally get **** in your mouth while cycling.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
ozerulz said:

It's the latter.

I have no idea whether doping could cause such issues, but I imagine that it could. However, I can certainly attest that consuming a lot of gels and energy bars or other non-real-food nutrition can do it - both from my experience and from the experience of friends. For some people, it seems to have a real impact even if they are used to them. Altitude can also be a factor (although the pros spend a lot of time at altitude so it might not affect them as much).

Basically gastrointestinal issues could have a variety of causes, other than doping.

Intestinal problems is classic reasoning for its a) vague and b) invisible qualities both of which you can't realistically argue against. Another is toothache. I actually studied that a while back.

Dental problems as the reason for a loss of form / sidestepping races:

Van Heeswijk - 2005
Capelle - 2005 red blood cell count
Boonen - 2006
Di Luca - 2006
Rogers - 2006
Baugé - 2008
Contador - 2008
Cavendish - 2010
Schleck, A - 2011
Wellens - 2012
Gilbert - 2012
Gadret - 2012
Cobo - 2012

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Dental problems are usual because all they drink is energy drink that is pure toxic to the teeth. Intestinal problems are also common to extremely obvious reasons.

The code for a bad dope program is to twinkle your right eye to the camera if you are filmed on the first cat 2 climb of a tour. If you are not filmed, well.. then you are done for and it would be impossible to communicate your problems to the boss.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If you ride lots and havent tried it I would recommend dried mango as a substitute for gels. I used the gels and never had a problem but the mango tastes better and I eat less. Plus its cheaper.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Intestinal problems is classic reasoning for its a) vague and b) invisible qualities both of which you can't realistically argue against. Another is toothache. I actually studied that a while back.

Dental problems as the reason for a loss of form / sidestepping races:

Van Heeswijk - 2005
Capelle - 2005 red blood cell count
Boonen - 2006
Di Luca - 2006
Rogers - 2006
Baugé - 2008
Contador - 2008
Cavendish - 2010
Schleck, A - 2011
Wellens - 2012
Gilbert - 2012
Gadret - 2012
Cobo - 2012

You're missing this one:

Denis Zanette - 2003

Just a visit too, no tough decay, dental cleanings are really serious :eek:

To the OP, it is genuinely common for the reasons Maltiv gave, as well as water bottles collecting crud on the tops on rainy days and races like Paris-Roubaix. Add in all of the hotel and airline foods riders eat and it's potentially a recipe for disaster.

This all makes gastro common enough for it to be a plausible excuse when something off happens with the program. When someone claims to have gastro, flip a coin...

ozerulz said:

I used to get pain in my upper digestive tract. Not terribly painful, but it lasted long enough I went to the doc. The doc happened to be a fit cyclist. She asked me if my diet consisted of a lot of pasta (two huge plates of it at a meal still left my hungry), which OFC I responded "yes". So I changed up my diet and the problem ceased right away.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
There is a stor about Greg Lemond with Gastro distress. They handed him towels out of the team car and no one would ride behind him. I think he won that tour but this story was disgusting. Lots of marathon runners loose their bowels too. Add things like gluten intolerance with all the carbs these guys need and gastro problems are much more common.
Many of the drugs of yore caused constipation but I doubt EPO has any effect since it goes straight into the blood but Pot Belge would cause constipation a common effect of opiates.