• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GC Positions 2 to 9

Who will hold what positions after the time trial?

• Konig 7th, Mollema 8th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some things won't happen in the TT: Nibali won't lose yellow, Bardet won't resurrect his podium ambitions, Ten Dam won't become Belkin's best TTer...

But there is real uncertainty over who will hold positions 2-4, whether Van Garderen can overhaul Bardet for a top 5 finish, and how many, if any, Belkins Konig can pass on GC.

Nail your colours to the mast.

You should pick one of options 1-6, one of 7 or 8, and one of 9 or ten We have a maximum of ten options, so Ten Dam retaining 8th couldn't be offered.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I think Peraud will take 2nd, I'd like Pinot to take 3rd but think that Piti will manage to overtake him. Bardet to lose his place to TJVG and Mollema to hold off Konig.

I think Bardet is not completely without podium chances. Valverde can be a good time trialist, but usually on courses of 25-35km and he is also known for losing many minutes when he rides a bad TT. Pinot is tragically bad in the TT too. It's a long shot, but I don't count Bardet out entirely.

Arnout said:
I think Bardet is not completely without podium chances. Valverde can be a good time trialist, but usually on courses of 25-35km and he is also known for losing many minutes when he rides a bad TT. Pinot is tragically bad in the TT too. It's a long shot, but I don't count Bardet out entirely.

FWIW, Bardet is a combined 1-14 against Nibali, Pinot, Peraud, Valverde, and van Garderen in ITTs. He's pretty terrible. In 65 total km of ITT in last year's TdF (2 stages worth), Bardet lost 5'51" to Valverde and 3'53" to van Garderen (who had a pretty bad tour). He lost 2'22" to Peraud in the first TT of 33km (Peraud abandoned during the second) and 1'12" to Pinot (who withdrew in between the two stages). Lost 2'39" to Peraud and 20' to Pinot in a 24km TT in the 2013 Vuelta al Pais Vasco. And that's pretty much his entire career resume on time trials, according to cqranking. Nothing longer than 34km, and no quality results.

Maybe the guy pulls a good ride out of his ***, but there's really no reason to think he's going to be making up 2+ minutes on those guys.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
2. Peraud
3. Pinot
4. Valverde
5. TJVG
6. Bardet
7. Mollema
8. Konig
9. Ten Dam
10. ???That one guy???

Valverde to implode and open the door for 2 Frenchies on the podium. :cool:

I hope Pinot steps up to 2nd. I think he can.
Van Garderen will easily overtake Bardet. I hope he can beat Valverde too. Piti will have another bad day.
Mollema vs Konig is really exciting as well.
Magically Rolland will beat Zubeldia to take 10th.

Just for ref, GC before ITT:
1 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana Pro Team 85:29:33
2 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ.fr 0:07:10
3 Jean-Christophe Péraud (Fra) Ag2r La Mondiale 0:07:23
4 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Esp) Movistar Team 0:07:25
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) Ag2r La Mondiale 0:09:27
6 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 0:11:34
7 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:13:56
8 Laurens Ten Dam (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:14:15
9 Leopold König (Cze) Team NetApp - Endura 0:14:37
10 Haimar Zubeldia Agirre (Esp) Trek Factory Racing 0:16:25

Arnout said:

Pinot has improved his tt a lot.

Warhawk said:
FWIW, Bardet is a combined 1-14 against Nibali, Pinot, Peraud, Valverde, and van Garderen in ITTs. He's pretty terrible. In 65 total km of ITT in last year's TdF (2 stages worth), Bardet lost 5'51" to Valverde and 3'53" to van Garderen (who had a pretty bad tour). He lost 2'22" to Peraud in the first TT of 33km (Peraud abandoned during the second) and 1'12" to Pinot (who withdrew in between the two stages). Lost 2'39" to Peraud and 20' to Pinot in a 24km TT in the 2013 Vuelta al Pais Vasco. And that's pretty much his entire career resume on time trials, according to cqranking. Nothing longer than 34km, and no quality results.

Maybe the guy pulls a good ride out of his ***, but there's really no reason to think he's going to be making up 2+ minutes on those guys.

You're right about that, but for Bardet this is the first time a TT really matters, so I'm curious to see how he performs. I don't think its likely he will gain signficant time on Pinot or Valverde, but I don't count it out.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Most ppl expect TJVG to do better.
also, Peraud is much better than Pinot.

i think Peruad might be on par or better than valv.

the funny thing is: Zubeldia can actually be in top-10 GC. the guy who does nothing in the tour can still end in top-10. this bascially also says how pathetic this tour has been.

murali said:
Most ppl expect TJVG to do better.
also, Peraud is much better than Pinot.

i think Peruad might be on par or better than valv.

the funny thing is: Zubeldia can actually be in top-10 GC. the guy who does nothing in the tour can still end in top-10. this bascially also says how pathetic this tour has been.

Zubeldia can finish in the top 10 almost no matter how tough the competition is. In 2012 with equal competition he was 6th. I don't think having a consistent GT rider finish in the top 10 is an indication of "how pathetic this tour has been".

TRENDING THREADS