• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theswordsman said:
Lots of places are reporting that, but Riis said they're still deciding and won't announce the squad until Wednesday. It would make a really different situation for Contador and the guys riding for him if Haedo & Cooke are there looking for sprint help.

http://www.fyens.dk/article/1872662:Sport--Riis-praesenterer-sit-Tour-hold-paa-onsdag

I really can't see it happening.

Why on earth would the team of the GC favourite split their focus? And for Haedo who, good as he is, isn't on the same level as the very best fast men? It would indicate either supreme confidence in Contador's ability to crush all around him, or doubts about his form so severe that you'd wonder why he's riding at all.

saxo is really silly. if they want to stay in cycling they should make some sort of commitment( a few years at the time) going like "we will do it 1 more year, but just 1 more" every year doesn't help their image at all. not only does it make them look like they are not all that reliable but also makes riis spend some time he could be spending on his team and on making sure they get the best results possible( more exposure for the sponsor) worrying about if he will have a sponsor the following year.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
saxo is really silly. if they want to stay in cycling they should make some sort of commitment( a few years at the time) going like "we will do it 1 more year, but just 1 more" every year doesn't help their image at all. not only does it make them look like they are not all that reliable but also makes riis spend some time he could be spending on his team and on making sure they get the best results possible( more exposure for the sponsor) worrying about if he will have a sponsor the following year.

True, but one has to consider that there has been rumors for at least a year that the owners want to sell of the Bank. Also last time they said they didnt want to do it anymore, they were knee-deep in lawsuits in portugal and other places. So shorter commitments could be justified from a pure financial stand-point.

Or maybe they are just indecisive asshats :p

Despite the rumors (*ahem*) about their business practices (good fit for a cycling team ;)) they seem to be doing well financially so they probably can handle a longer commitment.

Then again, they could have signed for longer if they were certain that Contador won't get banned. ;)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Good to hear Saxo is extending their sponsorship. It probably indicates that they believe Bertie is getting acquitted.

from a company that makes money by selling calculated risk, i can't see any another reason...the article mentioned that line too:
The decision may be interpreted as optimism about the chances that Contador may be cleared, or will receive a reduced sanction.
long ago i found out that in many walks of life (such as sports, science, politics...) solid banks have much better research departments that the associated trade think tanks. investing money is serious busyness...

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
So HTC might stop sponsoring. Meaning Stapleton is looking for a sponsor, while Omega Pharma is still looking for a team to sponsor...

What i've read about Omega Pharma btw is that they prefer to build a totally new team, and are negotiating with some potential sponsors. But if this doesn't work out they're willing to 'merge' with an existing team, with AG2R as top candidate.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
python said:
from a company that makes money by selling calculated risk, i can't see any another reason...the article mentioned that line too:
long ago i found out that in many walks of life (such as sports, science, politics...) solid banks have much better research departments that the associated trade think tanks. investing money is serious busyness...

Yeah they did a great job last year with their stupid derivative market calculations. FAIL.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I find it weird that HTC is struggling to find a sponsor since they're the "winningest" team.

(I put winningest in quotes because it's not a word not because it ain't true)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Eric8-A said:
I find it weird that HTC is struggling to find a sponsor since they're the "winningest" team.

(I put winningest in quotes because it's not a word not because it ain't true)

Yeah but they also are a bigger budget team, so I guess it is harder to find sponsors who want to put down $10-15m per year that have cycling as their targeted demographic. If I were a billionaire I'd have my own cycling team. Why not? Sure as hell a lot cheaper than owning a football/soccer club.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
frank would be good support for cadel in the mountains. tschopp should ride too. I hope frank gets to do his own thing and try to win a stage.
I'd imagine that Tschopp would also be riding. I think BMC's lineup so far would be Evans, Frank, Tschopp, Santambrogio, van avermaet, ballan + 3 others.
craig1985 said:
Cadel is riding the Vuelta, right?

Certainly is:)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I'd imagine that Tschopp would also be riding. I think BMC's lineup so far would be Evans, Frank, Tschopp, Santambrogio, van avermaet, ballan + 3 others.

Certainly is:)

pretty good team for the vuelta but it depends if ballan is not found guilty.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Gotta lot of respect for Cadel for riding two GT's a season, and it's FTW as well, not treating the Vuelta as a pub crawl as what Andy Schleck did last year.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Gotta lot of respect for Cadel for riding two GT's a season, and it's FTW as well, not treating the Vuelta as a pub crawl as what Andy Schleck did last year.

True. I hope he does the Sun Tour after the Vuelta, so I can see him race for most likely one last time.

TRENDING THREADS