• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 531 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Tour of Slovenia route is out.

Stage 4 has double Kolovrat but the rest is very meh.

Different side than in last year's Giro though. 9 km at 9%.

Tour de Romandie route (h/t ammattipyoraily):

FtnytG1WAAEkHjT

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tour de Romandie route (h/t ammattipyoraily):
The ITT features a climb of 4.3kms at 5.7% total and 3 short cimbs before it, the middle one is 500m at 6.2%. The climbers should be able to limit the gaps in this one, looks like one of those Romandie TTs for gc riders to me.
The uncategorized small climb 6kms from the finish on the previous stage is 1km at 6%, should be one for the stagehunters.
Higuita and Mäder might be the guys to beat, no idea what to expect from Adam Yates and Plapp form wise.

I like how Romandie has a very unique identity as a stage race.

And it's identity is that it's terrible.
The most terrible thing is usually the weather, racing a week with the typical TdR weather must be really unpleasant (unless you're Spilak).
It used to be 1-2TTs, big mountain stage and the rest reduced sprint stages for Albasini. Now the Albasini stages have been replaced by 1-2 breakaway stages that Küng can win if the weather is bad enough and sprint stage(s).
Last years route was even worse than usual.

The most terrible thing is usually the weather, racing a week with the typical TdR weather must be really unpleasant (unless you're Spilak).
It used to be 1-2TTs, big mountain stage and the rest reduced sprint stages for Albasini. Now the Albasini stages have been replaced by 1-2 breakaway stages that Küng can win if the weather is bad enough and sprint stage(s).
Last years route was even worse than usual.
Yeah.

They always waste a full day with having 2 TTs in 6 stages. Routes are never balanced well because the one mountain stage is always either too soft or too hard, and the main ITT is pretty climby as well. And the other 3 days are ALWAYS a complete waste of time.

• Sad
Yeah.

They always waste a full day with having 2 TTs in 6 stages. Routes are never balanced well because the one mountain stage is always either too soft or too hard, and the main ITT is pretty climby as well. And the other 3 days are ALWAYS a complete waste of time.
It has its own balance. Surely it's fine that one stage race suits TTers. The prologue is a necessity of the calender, and I think 1-2 mountain stages is plenty for a short stage race.

It has its own balance. Surely it's fine that one stage race suits TTers. The prologue is a necessity of the calender, and I think 1-2 mountain stages is plenty for a short stage race.
With Trentino/Tota becoming the pefered Giro prep race (if any at all) it's also in a weird spot right after Lbl. Most of the Tour guys just finished their spring campaign,so not too many of them will show up either.

With Trentino/Tota becoming the pefered Giro prep race (if any at all) it's also in a weird spot right after Lbl. Most of the Tour guys just finished their spring campaign,so not too many of them will show up either.
Its main appeal should be that it's a WT stage race that's winnable for 2nd line contenders, which is why it should attract not the absolute world beaters, but a pretty deep field.
I don't complain that it suits TTers at times. I complain that it generally has only one road stage that matters and it tends to be Thyon MTF or very lethargic.

The last mountain stage in Romandie I really liked was that 2018 mountain stage.

If I was a professional rider, I'd put a gun to the head of my directors in order to enforce starting rights to the Tour of Hellas. Most aesthetically pleasing race on the calendar. Prologue in Heraklion, a finish in Olympia. Let's get that mountain stage to Mt. Olympus going so that we may face Zeus himself.

Bonus: Superman is starting.

• Love
The route doesn't look good at all, we can all agree with that, Romandie has that identity and thats fine for me. Don't mind the double TT when you consider the rest of the stage races where we don't see too much of that at all.

The bigger problem for the race seems to be that they really can't draw the best riders anymore for various reasons, but then again, its perfectly fine (to me) to have a big race like this contested by 2nd tier riders and younger lads trying out in big WT stage races where they actually have a change.

Its just Romandie being Romandie, now minus the Giro contestant (and that has been a case for a while now) and the big Tour riders who has other priorities, be it either participating in the classics like Pog after a hard spring or Jonas' razor sharp focus on July. And what does racing hard in Romandie in *** conditions exactly do for you if you wanna win TdF? Not much, lets be honest, it most likely is for the worse and there are more important things to do in exactly that period in the season.

TRENDING THREADS