• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem: March 31st, 2019

The riders are still licking their wounds from Friday, but it's already time for the next Flemish classic. In spite of its name Gent-Wevelgem will start in Deinze for the seventeenth time. Between the two ascensions of the Kemmelberg there will be the "plugstreets" in Ploegsteert, as a tribute to the victims of World War I in this region. The final 34 km are flat, which can lead to a final with echelons or a sprint with a reduced bunch.

profiel.jpg

Climbs:
1. Catsberg (113 km)
2. Kokereelberg (110 km)
3. Le Vert Mont (107 km)
4. Mont Noir/Zwarteberg: Côte de Ravel Put (105 km)
5. Mont Noir/Zwarteberg: Côte de la Blanchisserie (100 km)
6. Baneberg (82 km)
7. Kemmelberg (Belvedère) (74 km)
8. Monteberg (70 km)
9. Baneberg (38 km)
10. Kemmelberg (Ossuaire) (34 km)

Recent winners:
2009 Edvald Boasson Hagen
2010 Bernhard Eisel
2011 Tom Boonen
2012 Tom Boonen
2013 Peter Sagan
2014 John Degenkolb
2015 Luca Paolini
2016 Peter Sagan
2017 Greg Van Avermaet
2018 Peter Sagan

Most excited to see Mathieu and Wout in this one tbh, reunited for the first time since the CX season ended, and both with the talent to win this bike race. Aside from that I hope Sagan shows some form leading up to RVV. Sunday can't come soon enough.

Yeah, I know this is about the Elite Men's race, but I just love the fact that all-in-all there are seven races.

Elite Men, Elite Women, U23 Men (Kattekoers-Ieper), U19 Men (GP André Noyelle), U19 Women, and - I'm guessing - U17 Men, and U17 Women.
And probably a kiddie's push-bike race at the finish line too.

Viviani will not win this bike race.

It was nice seeing Sagan here last year after a horrendous E3 performance. I think that was maybe his best sprint ever. It was not so nice seeing him here in 2017, acting silly.

Please stop the Deceuninck show.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Viviani will not win this bike race.

It was nice seeing Sagan here last year after a horrendous E3 performance. I think that was maybe his best sprint ever. It was not so nice seeing him here in 2017, acting silly.

Please stop the Deceuninck show.

It was a great sprint. He saw that Viviani was stuck and started his sprint early. Viviani had to go around the other guys and couldnt get there in time for the finish. Wasnt enough road left.

Was a nice tactical move from Sagan to see that and start the sprint early.

Really like this race. It kinda feels like the only cobbles classic other than the ronde and PR with it's own unique character instead of being looked at as a pure preperation race for next week. E3 for example might produce better racing but at the end I usually have the feeling I only watched an appetizer for the ronde. GW isn't like that

TRENDING THREADS