• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gent - Wevelgem: March 31st, 2019

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Viviani

tenor.gif

Love how the whole remnant of peloton made Stybar and Gilbert slave for them, I think some of them knew that Viviani was manageable in this kind of race.
Kristoff somehow looked to be the only one with enough power and speed to finish it off, Dege seemed hopeless in his wheels.

Re:

gunara said:
Love how the whole remnant of peloton made Stybar and Gilbert slave for them, I think some of them knew that Viviani was manageable in this kind of race.
Kristoff somehow looked to be the only one with enough power and speed to finish it off, Dege seemed hopeless in his wheels.

Van der Poel had his wheel but got boxed in just as Kristoff swerved to the right and then got boxed in again, could never really get his sprint going. Would have loved to see them sprinting head to head. Anyway, great race today.

Re: Re:

Mavic said:
gunara said:

Van der Poel had his wheel but got boxed in just as Kristoff swerved to the right and then got boxed in again, could never really get his sprint going. Would have loved to see them sprinting head to head. Anyway, great race today.

Saw it, too, but I imagine Kristoff would have had a slight edge and better momentum if they did.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Viviani was really boxed in but I can't help being very gleeful about that. DQS kind of ruined the race today and luckily they were not rewarded.

Next year, they probably prefer to race the race instead of doing what they did today.

What do you mean? They just missed the first echelon except for Declercq so they had no other choice than to chase.

Nice win for Kristoff. Also a good podium for Naesen. I'm also going to give a shout out to Carlos Barbero for finishing 12th. Yes, not a top 10, but he managed to be in that front group and get a good finish. Not exactly something expected from Movistar riders in this type of races.

The fastest G-W of all time ends in a sprint. I wondered before the race whether Kristoff would really pull the sprint for Gaviria. It turns out Gaviria said he didn't feel good enough for the sprint, so the Norwegian decided to sprint for himself. I don't think he can win Flanders or Roubaix this year though. Van Aert and Stybar looked stronger on the Kemmel. Degenkolb might be good in P-R.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Viviani was really boxed in but I can't help being very gleeful about that. DQS kind of ruined the race today and luckily they were not rewarded.

Next year, they probably prefer to race the race instead of doing what they did today.
Didn't understand why they'd go with this strategy anyways - this is not how they have won all the classics so far. Pre-race, Viviani talked about it was all for him and I was honestly baffled by that. Turns out it indeed was the wrong tactic.

TRENDING THREADS