• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders George Bennett Discussion Thread

Yea got caught in abit of a pricky situation, with GC boys attacking and next group being far back. That and being abit into red, caused him a drop in time, but least has sprint stage next day to recover somewhat.

Quite a funny lad, was taking the Michael out of the commissars in an interview about favouring French before then pointing out the head one is actually Belgian. And if he hadn't attacked up the runway the GC guys would have probably followed Landa's pace to the summit.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
I found it pretty hilarious that he spent his team defending his 9th place but in the end lost 2 places in the GC.
Now. I might have missed a bit of the stage while trying to watch at work. But the only time I saw LottoNL in front, was when Roglic was bringing Bennett into position on the final climb. Once Roglic was gone (pretty fast), I believe D.Martin took over.

I don't really count bringing your leader to the front as 'defending 9th position in the gc'. Unless you have any other evidence of LottoNL working at the front trying to reduce the gap during the stage which I might have missed.

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hugo Koblet said:
I found it pretty hilarious that he spent his team defending his 9th place but in the end lost 2 places in the GC.
Now. I might have missed a bit of the stage while trying to watch at work. But the only time I saw LottoNL in front, was when Roglic was bringing Bennett into position on the final climb. Once Roglic was gone (pretty fast), I believe D.Martin took over.

I don't really count bringing your leader to the front as 'defending 9th position in the gc'. Unless you have any other evidence of LottoNL working at the front trying to reduce the gap during the stage which I might have missed.
UAE Emirates and LottoNL joined forces in col d'Agnes to prevent the gap from growing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I am very happy for George Bennett's great season so far, and already his Vuelta Top-10 last year. Probably one of the funniest guys in the peloton - if you are looking for some genuinely entertaining reads, I recommend you check out his twitter: https://twitter.com/georgenbennett. He used to keep a blog on his website too, which was really funny, but sadly it's not on his website anymore.

I have followed George Bennett since he joined RadioShack-Nissan in 2012. The first two years of his career he was struggling a lot. He had a problem with sideburn if I recall correctly, where his lungs would start to hurt pretty bad whenever he went in the red. He tried for a long time to get this figured out, and it seems like indeed he has. He also had other injuries and illnesses. In his first Giro he finished almost every stage far behind, and finished 121st overall. For the first 4 years of his career he had no real result. Despite that, he was able to stay at WT level, first moving to Cannondale, then LottoJumbo.

All the happier I am now for him, and that he was able to prove that he had the potential all along. I think he has really surpassed expectations, because being a good climber is one thing, but being up there with Froome et al in the Tour is quite impressive. Being the first New Zealander to ever finish in the top-10 of a GT is a great achievement, and it looks like he might crack the top-10 again in the Tour this year. His Tour of California win of course was another great achievement.

I think he is really an interesting case study, which shows that sometimes it is worth sticking with a rider and not giving up on them, even if the results don't come for a few years. Unfortunately that's difficult in this short-lived business, all the nicer when it pays off!

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
George will target the Giro GC next year.

Plenty of pretenders for a top-10, it seems.

not the strongest of teams

LottoNL-Jumbo for Giro d’Italia: George Bennett, Koen Bouwman, Jos van Emden, Robert Gesink, Danny van Poppel, Antwan Tolhoek, Gijs Van Hoecke, Robert Wagner

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure Bennet didn't mean his comments in the way a lot of people are interpreting it.

Perhaps he will clarify his position tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS