• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geraint Thomas

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Currently 30th on gc. Lost 3 mins early in the stage where wiggins crashed out, and today had to pace uran up the final climb. Just wondered if he rides more for himself and targets it, would he be able to top 20 or better? Got to take into account at least 6 or 7 riders due to crashes are out or not trying to contend.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Why should he? He is much better suited to stage hunting should he be given more freedom. Typical classics type rider who can win most stages from a break :)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Raceoftruth said:
Currently 30th on gc. Lost 3 mins early in the stage where wiggins crashed out, and today had to pace uran up the final climb. Just wondered if he rides more for himself and targets it, would he be able to top 20 or better? Got to take into account at least 6 or 7 riders due to crashes are out or not trying to contend.

Who knows maybe he could indeed T20, but would you really want to? Preparing to ride for 15th-20th place in the TdF seems stupid. I'd rather go for a stage win. Don't think he could do better than 15th-ish place.

Why do so many people seem to want to turn Thomas into a GC contender?

He'd be a much better rider focusing on doing what he's good at being but doing it better as he gets more experienced, rather than trying to be something he's not and potentially never living up to his potential in two different disciplines.

Must say that his relatively high place on GC has surprised me. There was some news a while back that he is going to undergo some tests before the Olympics to judge his potential. Interesting to see what the results will be. I think most people are agreed that he will be a great classics rider (he did a great ride in Flanders) and I think he is good enough in the hills and TTs to be one of the best in shorter stage races. As for the grand tours, unless the tests show that he can think of the podium (no real evidence of that yet, although it's true he does a lot of work for the team and so could possibly be higher up in the GC) , he should concentrate on becoming a world-class classics man and when he gets a chance go for stage wins in the grand tours. I think that will be the case

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
The lads a beast and so nice with it.

Not bland or dull but he seems very popular eg with non Brits on here - unlike our other big riders

Personally I think the cachet of being first Brit winner of P - R will mean more to him and Brit cycling fans than being 9th in a GT so he should keep his physique.

This race would have been very different if Wiggo hadn't crashed out - ignoring what Wiggins would or not have done EBH and G dishing out beastings on the front would have shaken things up for sure

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not British and not much of a Sky fan but I'm a big fan of Geraint Thomas:)

Athletes that fight that hard but are also likable and positive are rare. He's still young but he seems destined for leadership.

I don't follow track cycling at all but will there be a chance for him to get lots of attention at the Olympics and maybe bring new British fans to the sport? He seems like the type of rider who could attract new fans.