• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:
superb rider. i don;t think he stands any chance for roubaix though, at least not this year
but flanders is definitely doable. go g!
Roubaix is reserved for Sir Bradley this year,G.have to wait for next year :)

I don't think Sky will be that silly. I think Wiggins, Thomas and Stannard will all ride to conserve energy and be ready for leadership.

King Boonen said:
DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:
superb rider. i don;t think he stands any chance for roubaix though, at least not this year

I don't think Sky will be that silly. I think Wiggins, Thomas and Stannard will all ride to conserve energy and be ready for leadership.
I don't know,usually when Wiggins is focusing on something the others are just peons.It will be good for Sky to keep their other options open,but they failed so many times to do it.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

King Boonen said:
DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:

Don't worry, they'll go full Mapei :D

Mayomaniac said:
King Boonen said:
DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:

If that came true (and it's far from impossible I would think), it would be so heart breaking for Thomas and Stannard to have to surrender possibly their best shot at victory in Roubaix for Wiggins.

DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:
That's what really annoys me. Wiggins just isnt as talented as Thomas. If there is just a spot of rain then Wiggins will go hiding in the team car. So if it rained he would be put as an early domestique on asphalt roads for Thomas and maybe Stannard.

Thats what other teams would do. Team Sky just wouldn't do that. They'd put all their eggs in one basket for Wiggins. Plus it wont rain.

lemon cheese cake said:
DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:
That's what really annoys me. Wiggins just isnt as talented as Thomas. If there is just a spot of rain then Wiggins will go hiding in the team car. So if it rained he would be put as an early domestique on asphalt roads for Thomas and maybe Stannard.

Thats what other teams would do. Team Sky just wouldn't do that. They'd put all their eggs in one basket for Wiggins. Plus it wont rain.

It would be a disgrace if Thomas isn't their main leader. He's been the best cobbles rider this season, while Wiggins has done absolutely nothing. Give Wiggins a free role if he wants (because he'd probably only ride for himself anyway), but the team's focus should be on getting Thomas into the final selection.

Could you imagine an off-form Uran or Tony Martin suddenly announcing they wanted to win Roubaix, after one good finish there, and then immediately becoming leader ahead of Boonen, Stybar or Terpstra?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site

TMP402 said:
Mayomaniac said:
King Boonen said:
DBotero said:
jens_attacks said:

If that came true (and it's far from impossible I would think), it would be so heart breaking for Thomas and Stannard to have to surrender possibly their best shot at victory in Roubaix for Wiggins.

Just curious, why?

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Too much emotion involved. Wiggins' final race for Team Sky etc etc... even if Thomas absolutely destroys everyone in RVV, Wiggins will be Team Sky's leader for PR

That would be dumb. I would think they'd have enough brains to allow both to have their chances. Roubaix is highly, highly selective. Chances are the race makes it clear who will win out. If they both go to the finale in a group, it becomes interesting.

TMP402 said:

I get the impression Thomas isn't that devoted to Wiggins, probably more so now, in the past few years he's ridden for Froome without any problems, they seem to get on ok, so I guess he's fairly ambivalent about it. He almost gave a Froome-like answer when asked about his role and Wiggins in the PR after the E3, seemed like deja vu to me with Wiggins and Froome. He deserves to be given his chance in both races.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Leadership will be decided on the roads methinks, suits a team to have several options. If they make selection and both Thomas and Wiggins are there, I reckon they will ride for whoever has the best legs. Likely Wiggins will bury himself for Thomas at RVV and Thomas will return the favour.

They should go with the same approach that Quickstep used over the years. Boonen was always the clear-cut leader, but Devolder, Chavanel, Terpstra, Stybar or Vandenbergh all got their chances to shine. Devolder and Terpstra made the best of it and won big. If Wiggins is there, support him. If another rider has a better day or Wiggins won't make it to the final (group), let someone else try his luck. Easy as that. Why pull out the "Sky-train" and risk losing it all?

I don't think you can ride Flanders with any other strategy really. Sky are going in with a clear cut leader too in Thomas and if anything happens, of course any other Sky rider up there will obviously take up leadership in his place - that's just normal race tactics. The only real difference with Sky, is Thomas knows Wiggins will bury himself to keep him with the leaders and help him win. Wiggins is either going to blow the race to bits to help Thomas or be nowhere. From his interviews yesterday, Wiggins seems fully committed to Thomas in Flanders and Thomas for Wiggins in Roubaix. Both riders seem very happy with this from what i've read and watched anyway?

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

JRanton said:
Ultimately he just couldn't hold his form for another two weeks. Was already good in Algrave. Gent-W finished him off.

More likely that when it comes to the real big events the cream rises to the top.

Re:

JRanton said:
Ultimately he just couldn't hold his form for another two weeks. Was already good in Algrave. Gent-W finished him off.

Possibly, or it could just be that the race didn't really suit him on the day. It was too slow and easy for him in the opening 200km which basically turned it into an anaerobic shoot-out in the last 40km. His main strengths are great power and endurance at and just above threshold - he needed the race to tire out the guys with bigger anaerobic capacity (e.g. Kristoff, Van Avermaet, Sagan) before the last 'circuit'.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

samhocking said:
I don't think you can ride Flanders with any other strategy really. Sky are going in with a clear cut leader too in Thomas and if anything happens, of course any other Sky rider up there will obviously take up leadership in his place - that's just normal race tactics. The only real difference with Sky, is Thomas knows Wiggins will bury himself to keep him with the leaders and help him win. Wiggins is either going to blow the race to bits to help Thomas or be nowhere. From his interviews yesterday, Wiggins seems fully committed to Thomas in Flanders and Thomas for Wiggins in Roubaix. Both riders seem very happy with this from what i've read and watched anyway?

Well Wiggo certainly buried himself for Thomas :D I expect no collaboration on Sunday

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

arvc40 said:
JRanton said:

More likely that when it comes to the real big events the cream rises to the top.

You don't loose legs when big events come..you may loose it tactically but he just had no power.

Gloin22 said:
arvc40 said:
JRanton said:

You don't loose legs when big events come..you may loose it tactically but he just had no power.

True,he was spent,he attacked and couldn't sustain it at all.Seems already burned out,hopefully he will recover a bit to help Wiggins/Stannard on Roubaix.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

DBotero said:
Gloin22 said:
arvc40 said:
JRanton said:

True,he was spent,he attacked and couldn't sustain it at all.Seems already burned out,hopefully he will recover a bit to help Wiggins/Stannard on Roubaix.

Oh well, another year passes. Maybe G can win Flanders next year.

TRENDING THREADS