Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

arvc40 said:
DBotero said:
Gloin22 said:
arvc40 said:
JRanton said:
Ultimately he just couldn't hold his form for another two weeks. Was already good in Algrave. Gent-W finished him off.
More likely that when it comes to the real big events the cream rises to the top.


You don't loose legs when big events come..you may loose it tactically but he just had no power.
True,he was spent,he attacked and couldn't sustain it at all.Seems already burned out,hopefully he will recover a bit to help Wiggins/Stannard on Roubaix.



Oh well, another year passes. Maybe G can win Flanders next year.
Gotta watch out for Norwegian cream.. "It's all about the base"
 
Wtf was wrong with him today? I was already extremely surprised that he was so strong in the tds but this is the tour de france, and probably the best manned of for a long time.
What will come next? Maybe he will take a minute on froome in the first mtf of next years tour. :D
 
As one of my favourite riders it would be great to see him on the podium in Paris, Sky would probably have to protect him more though and have him as the last man with Froome instead of Porte. Quintana should finish at least 2nd but with Contador and Nibali struggling badly it's wide open for 3rd. Obviously one bad day and it would be all over but with Froome looking ridiculously strong they could help out G too.
 
May 3, 2010
603
0
0
Thomas' performance is the most impressive of them all.
What I don't understand is why did he not sit back after froome attacked? Shouldn't the team have called him back to rest him for tomorrow? Is this cockyness of sky? It seems foolish to push a rider who is doing such a good job defending for his team against his betters. There are many days to come.
 
Re:

offbyone said:
Thomas' performance is the most impressive of them all.
What I don't understand is why did he not sit back after froome attacked? Shouldn't the team have called him back to rest him for tomorrow? Is this cockyness of sky? It seems foolish to push a rider who is doing such a good job defending for his team against his betters. There are many days to come.

I don't think he was necessarily going that hard yesterday, the cameras showed a shot of him following Tejay who was going all out and suffering yet G was in the wheel with Valverde looking relaxed. Then when Valverde attacked G was able to easily follow him home and could have finished ahead but didn't out of respect.
 
Jul 4, 2013
5
0
0
Gerraint Thomas v. Alberto Contador, et al.

Having watched Thomas for some long time now, I'm wondering when it was that he became a climber the caliber of Contador, Quintana, Valverde, or even Richie Porte? I thought he was one of those punchy riders, likely to win, for instance, Stage 13.

Contador did ride and win the Giro and so that might account for his fairly poor performance, by his standards, but Quintana didn't ride the Giro, nor, for that matter, did Froome. And yet there's Thomas right with these guys. Since when?

Bizarre Tour thus far.
 

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
964
0
0
G. Thomas was not far behind Richie Porte earlier this year in Paris-Nice, and very impressive in Suisse.

I don't know what to make of him chasing down Quintana. Obviously i would say Quintana is a better climber, but right now my eyes are showing my they're equal on a long mountain stage and G. Thomas is a dom.

I never think he'll reach the toplevel of Contador and Froome, but IF he can keep this up the entire Tour, then he can maybe beat Quintana, Nibali etc. in a GT, when he's captain.

I think he could be a contender that sometimes suffers on the MTF's, but gain a lot of time on the ITT's, so he can ride defensively.

But it's only talk right now. We'll never know until he have the pressure of a captain in a big GT. But he looks mentally strong, not like Porte.
 
Jun 22, 2009
334
0
0
Re: Gerraint Thomas v. Alberto Contador, et al.

DBChas said:
Having watched Thomas for some long time now, I'm wondering when it was that he became a climber the caliber of Contador, Quintana, Valverde, or even Richie Porte? I thought he was one of those punchy riders, likely to win, for instance, Stage 13.
Or for that matter, the caliber of Armstrong at the height of his powers? :confused:
 
Re:

rm7 said:
G. Thomas was not far behind Richie Porte earlier this year in Paris-Nice, and very impressive in Suisse.

I don't know what to make of him chasing down Quintana. Obviously i would say Quintana is a better climber, but right now my eyes are showing my they're equal on a long mountain stage and G. Thomas is a dom.

I never think he'll reach the toplevel of Contador and Froome, but IF he can keep this up the entire Tour, then he can maybe beat Quintana, Nibali etc. in a GT, when he's captain.

I think he could be a contender that sometimes suffers on the MTF's, but gain a lot of time on the ITT's, so he can ride defensively.

But it's only talk right now. We'll never know until he have the pressure of a captain in a big GT. But he looks mentally strong, not like Porte.
Vuelta for him?
Can't be.
 
Sep 14, 2011
1,980
0
0
Re:

gerundium said:
roughly during the Tour de Suisse
Thomas's climbing performance in Switzerland looks extremely modest now. On his current form you would expect him to have won that stage with ease.
 
The first time I saw him climbing at a decent level was 2013 Dauphine, where he was dom'ing for Froome. Until then I had always thought of him as a great lead out man (because of 2011 Tour) and TT'ist/track specialist, so it came as a big shock when he was suddenly diminishing the favourites group to 20 guys in that edition of the Dauphine. Since then he's gradually become better at climbing, but he took an incredible step up at Tour de Suisse this year. Now he has taken another quantum leap, and he's basically capable of everything with his great engine. He's a little bit old though
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Thomas worked extremely hard for Froome in those classic stages. Just remarkable. Imagine him leading a team of his own: Might just be the second best climber after Froome.

Coupled with his classics success, we might just have a modern day Merxck or Hinault.
 
Jul 6, 2015
176
0
0
G has turned himself into an exceptional all rounder. We can trace back his upward trajectory beyond the TDS. The commonwealth games road race win really was a vital moment for him. Yes we all can say the quality of the field was not world class but you could see Thomas's belief in His ability. Securing a title for himself not having to be the super domestique. The TDS affirmed his place as one of the best riders in the peloton. He just needs to be made a team leader for a grand tour.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Valanga Professional Road Racing 12

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS