• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Don't think GT will get the chance to go fully for PR ayway this year. Stannards an absolute monster and being British is likely to get some priority at sky. They've got enough classics riders of a similar ability (that are't genuine classic favourites like gilbert, boonen, sagan) that they can rotate leadership and I suspect they'll do that this year, i.e GT for flanders, Stannard/Hayman PR, EBH AGR, Henao/JTL for Fleche Wallone, Wiggins/Uran for LBL.
Basically they've not got a clue...

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
BlenJones2 said:
Don't think GT will get the chance to go fully for PR ayway this year. Stannards an absolute monster and being British is likely to get some priority at sky. They've got enough classics riders of a similar ability (that are't genuine classic favourites like gilbert, boonen, sagan) that they can rotate leadership and I suspect they'll do that this year, i.e GT for flanders, Stannard/Hayman PR, EBH AGR, Henao/JTL for Fleche Wallone, Wiggins/Uran for LBL.

hmmm .

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I started a similar thread last year after his Romandie Prologue. I'm genuinely interested to see what direction he goes in, as it's clear he's mega talented. From the videos on his website, him and EBH seem to have a good relationship, and they could offer a pretty serious 1-2 attack if they would contest the same classics. I'm unashamedly a bit of a GT fanboy.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
BlenJones2 said:

:facepalm:

El Pistolero said:
The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT. :rolleyes:

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires. ;)

Do you even remember that RVV where Thomas finished 10th? Do you even remember the enormous amounts of works Thomas did there to drag Flecha everywhere back to the main group?

Probably not, because Thomas isn't a Belgian so you forget

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
BlenJones2 said:
what? im not saying the bias is right. Flecha said in an interview recently that he left so that he could attack and have more opportunities than he would in a English team

Ryo's facepalm was about you saying Stannard would get more opportunities than Geraint because he's British, when Geraint is also British. ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Do you even remember that RVV where Thomas finished 10th? Do you even remember the enormous amounts of works Thomas did there to drag Flecha everywhere back to the main group?

Probably not, because Thomas isn't a Belgian so you forget

Yeah, I've seen better things in cycling. ;) For you it's probably the best thing ever considering you only remember this and Dutch cycling stuff. But hey, I'm talking with the guy that immediately dropped all kinds of clinical hints on this forum the moment Terpstra did well(just because he's riding for a Belgian team) while glorifying what Lars Boom did.

I also remember the enormous amount of work BMC did - without it none of these lesser guys would've been in a striking distance to win.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
BlenJones2 said:
what? im not saying the bias is right. Flecha said in an interview recently that he left so that he could attack and have more opportunities than he would in a English team

and where is thomas from?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
No we were not.

BlenJones2 said:

please go on making a fool of yourself :eek:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

The post you quoted clearly states ENGLISH TEAM.

Learn to read. GT is not English, he's from Wales.

I'd say go and make a fool of yourself as well, but for that you'd need to be able to actually read what someone is saying.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but GT is treated as British. If you think he won't be given leading roles because he's from Wales. You are deluded ... If he's good enough, he'll easily be the leader. However for PR, Stannard does look like a better bet anyway.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Sorry but GT is treated as British. If you think he won't be given leading roles because he's from Wales. You are deluded ... If he's good enough, he'll easily be the leader. However for PR, Stannard does look like a better bet anyway.

Obviously, because he's British.

Ryo however made it sound like GT comes from England, he doesn't. He's from Wales.

What's up with the Ian Stannard hype anyway? I know they don't have many better cyclists in their team for Roubaix, but come on.

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't Stannard one of the only ones who managed to not lose ground on Boonen when he was chasing in last years race? Granted he didn't close the gap, but everyone else was going backwards whilst chasing if I remember correctly (which I may not). Of course everyone else may have been keeping their powder dry and racing for second place. Either way, Stannard looked strong last year in PR.I agree it's not necessarily a sign of massive potential, but he seems to have the right attributes.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
element said:
Wasn't Stannard one of the only ones who managed to not lose ground on Boonen when he was chasing in last years race? Granted he didn't close the gap, but everyone else was going backwards whilst chasing if I remember correctly (which I may not). Of course everyone else may have been keeping their powder dry and racing for second place. Either way, Stannard looked strong last year in PR.I agree it's not necessarily a sign of massive potential, but he seems to have the right attributes.

The whole Sky team constantly lost time to Boonen last year in PR. IIRC Boom managed to take 20 secs back with his attack, Stannard on the other hand disappeared totally. Tbh I found his WC RR last year much more impressive than his spring.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Obviously, because he's British.

Ryo however made it sound like GT comes from England, he doesn't. He's from Wales.

What's up with the Ian Stannard hype anyway? I know they don't have many better cyclists in their team for Roubaix, but come on.

lol, you just keep on trying don't you? :eek: just take your losses and go on. nobody thinks you are right and you aren't

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
lol, you just keep on trying don't you? :eek: just take your losses and go on. nobody thinks you are right and you aren't

No, you're wrong about him coming from England. What losses? That you can't read that he was talking about an English team to which you responded "where do you think he comes from?". Well, not England smart-***.

Ryo Hazuki said:

The problem is with the original quote Rio....when BlenJones2 used the word Britain, but actually meant the word England; otherwise his post doesn't makes any sense.:confused:
It a fairly pointless spat, but perhaps illustrative of our difficulty in understanding eachother, and also it gets tiresome correcting everyones little slips

TRENDING THREADS