• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Could have been competing at E3 yesterday instead of busting his gust where he doesn't belong

I get how Sky can knock the GT dream into his head, after they succeeded with Wiggo. But I think it is starting to get ridiculous. He is such a talented classics rider, but he is waisting all his talent on riding for a top 10 in the Giro. He should be close to top shape now, and definitely ahead of Froome and Contador, if he wants to beat Quintana at the Giro. Hopefully he wakes up and comes back to where he belongs.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Could have been competing at E3 yesterday instead of busting his gust where he doesn't belong
He wants the cushty media work at the end of his career. You don't get that in the UK with 1 day wins, you get it with GT wins. Taking the 100th Giro (not going to happen but he can dream) is too good an opportunity to pass up, for him and Sky.

He wants to fully focus this year on GTs and i think it is a good choice since this year will clearly tell him if he is good enough or not. Changing weight from high to low in a very short time and getting it right every year is very difficult. Otherwise it will be like Tony Martin who initially showed promise in the mountains in 2009 but never focused on it. He would have been better than Wiggins i think. At least Rohan Denis is making that choice.

I think it's absolutely okay for a rider with the climbing talent of Thomas to try to focus on gc's. Problem is that these riders usually don't have the talent to win cobbles classics as well. And in Thomas case he is way more likely to get big wins in classics than in gt's.
Thomas surely is a good climber but I don't think riding against Nibali, Quintana, Aru, Chaves, Kriuijswijk and even his teammate Landa will end good for him.

Re: Re:

rune1107 said:
PremierAndrew said:

I get how Sky can knock the GT dream into his head, after they succeeded with Wiggo. But I think it is starting to get ridiculous. He is such a talented classics rider, but he is waisting all his talent on riding for a top 10 in the Giro. He should be close to top shape now, and definitely ahead of Froome and Contador, if he wants to beat Quintana at the Giro. Hopefully he wakes up and comes back to where he belongs.

I mean when Sky started with their goal of a British TdF winner, the two riders they had in mind were Froome and Thomas, with Kennaugh being seen as another potential TdF winner a few years further down the line. So he's probably been groomed mentally for the GTs for a long time

PremierAndrew said:
rune1107 said:
PremierAndrew said:

I mean when Sky started with their goal of a British TdF winner, the two riders they had in mind were Froome and Thomas, with Kennaugh being seen as another potential TdF winner a few years further down the line. So he's probably been groomed mentally for the GTs for a long time

Pretty sure Wiggins was also one of the riders they had in mind...

RedheadDane said:
PremierAndrew said:
rune1107 said:
PremierAndrew said:

He wasn't actually :eek: he was more an afterthought when they saw his performance at the 09 Tour

PremierAndrew said:
RedheadDane said:
PremierAndrew said:
rune1107 said:
PremierAndrew said:

He wasn't actually :eek: he was more an afterthought when they saw his performance at the 09 Tour

Huh? Wiggins did really great at the 2009 Tour, causing Sky to buy him free from Garmin.
Froome only had his GT breakthrough in the 2011 Vuelta.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
RedheadDane said:
PremierAndrew said:
rune1107 said:
PremierAndrew said:

Nice bit of revisionism there, but no one thought of Froome as a winner of any kind of race before 2011.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Billie said:
lol no one thought of any british rider in 2009 as a TdF winner let alone a contender.

Thomas was seen as a good leadout men who had a engine + background for TT's.
Maybe to a lesser extent Kennaugh, 3rd at the Girobio and good in one day races (and a good track cyclist).

TRENDING THREADS