• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
i didn't watch the stage yet, but this must explain why :Question:

bumped with Colombian Fernando Gaviria (Quick-Step Floors) on his right, causing his left foot to unclip immediately after. Instead of fighting for the win, he slipped back to finish ninth behind winner André Greipel (Lotto-Soudal) and one place behind Geraint Thomas (Team Sky).

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/caleb-ewan-devastated-fernando-gaviria-collision-giro-ditalia-sprint-329110#YKMdgWxqrZ0qoJ5x.99

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Thomas is overeager, finishing in the top 10 of stages like this is nice, but not where he should expand too much energy in.

I think Thomas likes racing too much and will run out of gas in the 3rd week, after looking mightely impressive in the first 2 weeks.
I don't think he expended too much energy, he just stayed up towards the front and out of trouble in the last couple of k's and that translated into a top 10.

He was only like 10 metres ahead of Nibali (13th) and Quintana (20th).

I do think there's a real chance he'll "get stuck in" too much at unnecessary times, but today I can't see he used any more reserves than Nibali or Quintana.

I kinda doubt SuperG had to dig too deep on a finish
that saw the Zakarin group gain back 30+ seconds.

SuperG just positioned himself well and followed wheels,
he wasn't sprinting or even passing anyone except those
riders going backwards after finishing lead-out duties.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Ewan barely even pedaled after his pedal mishap and still came 9th, so if you're well positioned you don't have to do anything really.

It helps that there aren't too many guys going for the sprints here.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Finishing in the top 10 in such a big group with still so many sprinters is not automatically. That costs extra effort and energy in the last 2K

How many "sprinters" were there? The only sprinter that G finished in front of was Ewan (for obvious reasons). Rui Costa was next. Pozzovivo was 16th. G was where had should have been.

He may well fall back in the last week, but not due to following the sprinters into the finish in the first week.

If he hadn't crashed you might well be looking at the favourite for the overall right now, remains to be seen if he can put together a full 3 weeks, but he is very strong so i'm hopeful. Hope he attacks and tries to make top 5/podium (unlikely), if Landa is recovered he has the most powerful ally of all the contenders, now that there is no doubt about who is team leader.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Will be interesting to track his hypothetical standing in the GC, assuming he'd have finished with Pinot and Dumoulin on Blockhaus

Why assume that? Why not assume he finishes with Mollema? Or Nibali? Or Kruijswijk? Or any of the other riders in between Quintana and his actual finishing place?

Shouldn't we wait until we see how he's climbing before we assume a climbing level for him?

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
SeriousSam said:
Will be interesting to track his hypothetical standing in the GC, assuming he'd have finished with Pinot and Dumoulin on Blockhaus

Why assume that? Why not assume he finishes with Mollema? Or Nibali? Or Kruijswijk? Or any of the other riders in between Quintana and his actual finishing place?

Because his strength today, and his strength in the mountains in trentino suggests otherwise i assume.

Zinoviev Letter said:
SeriousSam said:

Actually i think he would have been in front of Pinot and Dumoulin :cool: 2nd on Terminillo very close to Quintana,won in front of Pinot Tour of the Alps.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Zinoviev Letter said:
SeriousSam said:

Shouldn't we wait until we see how he's climbing before we assume a climbing level for him?

I'm not advocating that we persist with the assumption he'd have finished with Pinot and Dumoulin if he cannot keep up with them in the remaining mountain stages.

If you're asking whether I can make a case that with the information we have right now, it's a better assumption than that he'd have finished with Mollema, the answer is no. Than Crushweak? I probably can.

It's essentially about where you rank G as a climber in general, when he has good form (as today's TT indicates).

TRENDING THREADS