• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

TMP402 said:
Look, maybe I'm being dramatic here but maybe his TDF win will seem like kind of a fluke in 10 years' time.

I don’t see it as a fluke, I think only a fully peak Froome could probably have denied him a win. However I think the problem is he won’t be able to replicate that form again. Let’s see what tomorrow brings I suppose.

I wouldn't bury him just yet. After all, we saw Froome rising from the dead at last year's Giro. If Geraint makes it to the rest day without losing much tomorrow, who knows? A delayed peak is possible, although he seemed to be peaking alright at the Super Planche.

Tonton said:
I wouldn't bury him just yet. After all, we saw Froome rising from the dead at last year's Giro. If Geraint makes it to the rest day without losing much tomorrow, who knows? A delayed peak is possible, although he seemed to be peaking alright at the Super Planche.

Tomorrow will tell us a significant amount about G.

Moviefan1203 said:
Tonton said:

Tomorrow will tell us a significant amount about G.
Yup. With the comments he made after the race today, folks will be smelling blood in the water. I expect tomorrow will be frickin' nuts unless he stamps his authority on it. If he truly is not doing well, it'll be worse tomorrow.

The final climb tomorrow flattens out towards the top, so Thomas could take back time provided he can hang on over the steeper early gradient. A bit too soon to write him off, many others were worse yesterday and he still has a decent time buffer over his pre-race rivals.

Re:

dastott said:
The final climb tomorrow flattens out towards the top, so Thomas could take back time provided he can hang on over the steeper early gradient. A bit too soon to write him off, many others were worse yesterday and he still has a decent time buffer over his pre-race rivals.
Yeah, but only a bit. Today will tell as the stage is indeed pretty much perfect for him. Pretty much has to deliver a top three worthy performance here, IMO

Would Thomas winning the TDF be the jammiest ever? He is always crashing how lucky can you be to not get any injuries. He is like Froome and Porte for crashing, even Egan is sometimes crashing. I hope it not an Ineos thing, i wish Froome was at the TDF i feel he would easily win this years Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-i-believe-i-can-win-another-tour-de-france/

"I think so," Thomas said when asked if could win another Tour.

"A lot of people probably don't think so, but whatever. That spurs me on. One of my mates texted me earlier and said 'good job you're second in Tour'. If someone had said that a few years ago not many people would have believed but now it's disappointing to come second and not go back-to-back. I've got that belief."

At INEOS?

Tonton said:
Thomas got a nice second place, and beyond the result, I like his fair-play and team spirit. Good guy.
+1. Say what you will about Geraint but few riders go about their business with that keen of a grasp of the balance between humility and determination. And even rarer still can laugh their way past adversity as he has.

SuperG is the ultimate team player. In 2008 he could have ridden the IP at the Oly's and almost certainly won another Olympic medal (and possibly even beaten Sir Brad ... remember Wiggo was bed-ridden only days before departing for Beijing) but was more focused on making sure GBR won the TP.

oldcrank said:
SuperG is the ultimate team player. In 2008 he could have ridden the IP at the Oly's and almost certainly won another Olympic medal (and possibly even beaten Sir Brad ... remember Wiggo was bed-ridden only days before departing for Beijing) but was more focused on making sure GBR won the TP.
I was just thinking the same today.

Never complained he had to work for others. Took his chance when he was made co leader last year, but even then for a large part of the race when froome was still in it claimed Froome was still the main leader.
Never complained this year when Bernal attacked even though he was last years winner.

Ultimate team player indeed. And at what level... probably could've had more proper results if he didn't crash so much in earlier years

I would say that he was extremely lucky not to have any knock on effects after crashing 3 times. If u see his last crash, he crashed alone at lower speeds but pretty hard on his side. Before that the crash in the TDS. He is an experienced older rider so there is not much that can be improved and it is too late to learn but his crashing means that no team will send him into a sponsor critical race alone. I would place him in the category of Landa/Porte in terms of crashing

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
I would say that he was extremely lucky not to have any knock on effects after crashing 3 times. If u see his last crash, he crashed alone at lower speeds but pretty hard on his side. Before that the crash in the TDS. He is an experienced older rider so there is not much that can be improved and it is too late to learn but his crashing means that no team will send him into a sponsor critical race alone. I would place him in the category of Landa/Porte in terms of crashing

Who's to see the crashing didn't have a knock on effect? Looking at riders like Porte proves teams absolutely would send him as a sole leader in a sponsor critical race There arent enough riders capable of getting GC podiums for that not to be the case

carton said:
Tonton said:
Thomas got a nice second place, and beyond the result, I like his fair-play and team spirit. Good guy.
+1. Say what you will about Geraint but few riders go about their business with that keen of a grasp of the balance between humility and determination. And even rarer still can laugh their way past adversity as he has.

All of this.

Nice to see too that he has proved that he isn't a one hit (GT) wonder.

Aside from his ability on the bike, G seems a great guy to have around the team. It sounds a bit weird but for someone with his recent TdF results I would hope he can pad his palmares a bit more in the next couple of years by targeting the Giro and the Worlds (TT or road race). Perhaps another TdF win with a TT heavy course like 2012 or 2016.

Re:

dastott said:
Aside from his ability on the bike, G seems a great guy to have around the team. It sounds a bit weird but for someone with his recent TdF results I would hope he can pad his palmares a bit more in the next couple of years by targeting the Giro and the Worlds (TT or road race). Perhaps another TdF win with a TT heavy course like 2012 or 2016.

Does he have a chance there?

He says that he can still win another Tour because his preoaration wasn't ideal but honestly Bernal can say the same and if Froome recovers fully, I really think the best option for him is going Giro+Olympics next season especially considering that he could be their best chance of medal in both events.

TRENDING THREADS