• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gerdemann with suspicious blood values in 2006

May 6, 2009
Visit site
How credible is the Sportschau program? A lot or similar credibility of The Sun, The Star, or the News of the World (ie not a lot)?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
So who from T-Mobile's 2006 squad hasn't had an accusation or major suspicion thrown their way? Rogers? I don't like the "I'm not a doctor how am I supposed to know" line. Riders aren't the brightest of folk, perhaps Linus doesn't know what haemoglobin is and what a normal stable level should be? But if Mellow Velo is right, an association with that fine established university in Freiburg is not good sign. German cycling can barely afford more crap.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
So who from T-Mobile's 2006 squad hasn't had an accusation or major suspicion thrown their way? Rogers?

Rogers was training with Ferrari:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2006/07/04/1677951.htm

Virenque already profferred his own view about what that means - "teaming up with Ferrari was like putting a saucepan up your backside: it was immediately obvious what you were doing.” - your mileage may vary.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
look into these eyes. no they can not never ever ever tell untruth. :rolleyes:
linus-gerdemann-en-tete-du-tour-de-baviere.jpg

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
How credible is the Sportschau program? A lot or similar credibility of The Sun, The Star, or the News of the World (ie not a lot)?

I would rate them as rather serious and credible, they are a german public channel, giving a lot of pressure to cycling to clean up the doping mess after the fall of T-Mobile, they were behind the move to stop broadcasting the Tour in Germany in the verge of the T-Mobile scandal.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Roude Leiw said:
I would rate them as rather serious and credible, they are a german public channel, giving a lot of pressure to cycling to clean up the doping mess after the fall of T-Mobile, they were behind the move to stop broadcasting the Tour in Germany in the verge of the T-Mobile scandal.

But why is there such an attitude by German media that only cyclists dope? We all know what the former East Germany did to their athletes. Such a hyprocritical attitude for mine.

Colonel said:
I believe he is (clean) now, but not in 06 when he won the stage in TDF. He cant be this **** and be doping.

He didn't ride the TdF in 2006. In 2007 when he won a stage he finished 36th overall and 7th in the young rider competition behind such notables as Contador, Kohl and Dekker. He wore the yellow, then finished 5 minutes down the next day. Hardly an EPO or blood transfusion-like performance.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
But why is there such an attitude by German media that only cyclists dope?
How nice of you to repeat UCI's talking point.

Btw, do you actually follow German media or are just assuming?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
He didn't ride the TdF in 2006. In 2007 when he won a stage he finished 36th overall and 7th in the young rider competition behind such notables as Contador, Kohl and Dekker. He wore the yellow, then finished 5 minutes down the next day. Hardly an EPO or blood transfusion-like performance.

But a fantastic performance for someone who as a youth didn't have much climbing talent and was seen as a reasonable time trialist and nothing more.....who then suddenly on his last youth year had a fantastic jump in performance out of completely nowhere.

craig1985 said:
But why is there such an attitude by German media that only cyclists dope? We all know what the former East Germany did to their athletes. Such a hyprocritical attitude for mine.

It's "cool" to bash cycling. For instance, at the tail end of last year, at some awards ceremony, can't remember which, they didn't mention cycling except for the one time where they joked about Schumacher not getting any awards and how cycling is such a dirty sport........and proceeded to nominate athletics contenders (a sport who last year had more positives than cycling) for awards. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Grabsch is german and at the time was the world time trial champion. He didn't get a single nomination or even a mention for any of the awards.

All hail hypocrisy.

samb01 said:

The German media doesn't assume that only Germans dope. They only care more about Germans who dope, beause most German fans care more about German athletes than foreign athletes. And those fans are the ones who buy the magazine or newspaper, watch the tv show, whatever.

And I do follow the German media.

Susan

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
Rogers was training with Ferrari:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2006/07/04/1677951.htm

Virenque already profferred his own view about what that means - "teaming up with Ferrari was like putting a saucepan up your backside: it was immediately obvious what you were doing.” - your mileage may vary.

Thanks for that. Not that I believe Rogers hasn't touched the sauce. Partly explains the 3 WC ITT and his form these days in that event. I simply could not remember anything naughty pertaining to his past.

Python that picture is scary, very effeminate. Anyone who has ridden for T-Mobile/Telekom does not get the benefit of the doubt. But from the article I read today, there may be no blood samples to look at anymore, just paperwork. Given Gerdemann said he doesn't care if they retest with the new improved tests and the lack of info, I think this is a none issue right now. Suspicious, but its just fluctuating haemoglobin, there needs to be more data to form a solid factual grounding.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Anyone who has ridden for T-Mobile/Telekom does not get the benefit of the doubt.
You might want to reconsider after looking at Botero's results before, during, and after his two years at Telekom.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:

Well considering I don't live in Germany nor do I speak the language, then no. Actually I want to learn and be enlightened. One day I will go from stupid English-only speaker and learn a few languages, but until that happens, right or wrong, I can only form opinions that are printed in the language I know. Reading Die Zeit would be as much use to me as having a bunch of skinny climbers riding lead out for a sprinter.

So go on then, put your money where your mouth is and prove me wrong.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Botero rode for Kelme and we all knew what they were up to.

Don't forget Phonak as well. T-Mobile, Kelme and Phonak, that is impressive. What are the odds he never met, talked or interacted with anyone associated with PED's? Poor Botero, you don't have much chance of being clean with a career at any of those teams.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Don't forget Phonak as well. T-Mobile, Kelme and Phonak, that is impressive. What are the odds he never met, talked or interacted with anyone associated with PED's? Poor Botero, you don't have much chance of being clean with a career at any of those teams.

Well at least with Kelme, Botero mentioned how he rode for basically peanuts (his DS told him that it was a millionaire's wage in Colombia, even though said DS's wife is/was Colombian), he may not have been able to afford PED's. Maybe he could have, and what little money he had he spent it on PED's. But one thing is certain though, when he broke his contract to join Telekom (and then T-Mobile) he got a significant pay-day and a free Audi. But too bad he rode like he had bricks in his back pokect at the 2003 and 2004 TdF.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Does everything have to be explicitly spelled out around here? My point sure as hell wasn't that Botero was a clean rider, but rather that his utter uselessness while at Telekom, in sharp contrast to his time with Kelme and Phonak, strongly suggests he was not a part of the Freiburg clique, and thus that having ridden for Telekom/T-Mobile is not in itself 'proof' that someone has doped.

TRENDING THREADS