• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink bashes "riders like Ricco"

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, because Ricco is the only rider mentioned in a tweet by a journalist, that's clear proof that Gesink only mentions that one rider. Good reason to start a thread and call him a omerta defender.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Poor Ricco.

Remember Cav:
“Obviously I hope he does recover well, but I really do hope he becomes someone's ***** in prison."

and Kelly:
“It’s a crazy situation, after serving his punishment and to come back so quickly and have the problem again; I just can’t understand it. It is a totally crazy situation; he’s totally crazy.

“If I had a team that were in the position of looking for riders Ricco would never come on my list. If I had no rider at all, I don’t think I’d consider taking Ricco on my team."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...Riccos-illegal-blood-transfusion-scandal.html

Jonathan Vaughters recently also took it out on Ricco, here in the Clinic.
Mrs John Murphy said:
Question for JV:

You've said that Matt White should have a future in cycling. My question is 'who should have no future in cycling and why?'

JV1973 said:
My opinion? Ricco is a good example. A guy who kept at it, hard core, long after most others had called a truce. That's just my opinion and its very subjective.
I could be wrong, but this ("long after others had called a truce") sounds like the biggest BS I'Ve heard in a long time.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Lanark said:
Yes, because Ricco is the only rider mentioned in a tweet by a journalist, that's clear proof that Gesink only mentions that one rider. Good reason to start a thread and call him a omerta defender.

+1

A rider doesn't speak out he's protecting Omerta. A rider speaks out, he's protecting Omerta.

Can't please everyone all the time, so they may as well speak out (or not) in their own way and stuff anyone who doesn't support that.

Maybe we should all send the riders the exact words we expect them to say. Oh wait, they would just be repeating that to get away from the hard issues. Bloody Omerta protectors.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, to quote him directly, instead of posting a summary in a tweet by a different journalist:

Of ook hij de dupe is geworden van anderen die het spel minder eerlijk speelden dan hij? 'Kijk de uitslagen maar na. Valverde, Mosquera, Rebellin op de Olympische Spelen, Ricco: je kunt ze blijven noemen. Ik heb de laatste maanden vaak gedacht: 'Tegen wat voor mannen met onfrisse praktijken heb ik gereden?' Ze hebben me in mijn palmares geraakt en in mijn portemonnee, al zal dat laatste me worst wezen. Het is me zeker overkomen.'

If he has been the victim of other riders who didn't play the game fair like he did? 'Look at the results. Valverde, Mosquera, Rebellin on the Olympic Games, Ricco: you can keep going. The last months I often thought: 'Against what kind of deceit did I ride? They hurt me in my resume and my wallet, although I couldn't care less about the last part. It certainly happened to me.'

Lanark said:
Anyway, to quote him directly, instead of posting a summary in a tweet by a different journalist:

If he has been the victim of other riders who didn't play the game fair like he did? 'Look at the results. Valverde, Mosquera, Rebellin on the Olympic Games, Ricco: you can keep going. The last months I often thought: 'Against what kind of deceit did I ride? They hurt me in my resume and my wallet, although I couldn't care less about the last part. It certainly happened to me.'

You're quoting a different interview that I didn't know was online at the time. This is what he said:

Google translated:

"I also hope that the blow of the Usada report not only to us, from Garmin and at Green Edge has arrived, but also in the rest of the pack. I'm done it by riders like Riccardo Ricco. I have often thought of the past months: at what men with unsavory practices I have ridden? Who have given me not only results and money, but we are also called to account for their behavior. "

So yeah, he ONLY mentioned Ricco in the interview this thread was about. Seemed odd to me, that's all.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
Poor Ricco.

Remember Cav:

and Kelly:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...Riccos-illegal-blood-transfusion-scandal.html

Jonathan Vaughters recently also took it out on Ricco, here in the Clinic.

I could be wrong, but this ("long after others had called a truce") sounds like the biggest BS I'Ve heard in a long time.

Yeah, not that anyone doped after 2006? aint that right JV :rolleyes:

My Jeebus JV sure tries to pull the wool over everyone's eyes.

Was Gesink not a Leinders rabo patient?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
I think 2006 is a red herring. 2008 is when the truce was called, remember

JV must have been really disappointed with Astana/Radioshack systematically ignoring said truce and continue doping after 2008.
Or..wait... apparently JV wasn't really disappointed after all.
The two men ... at the heart of the project are Johan Bruyneel and Jonathan Vaughters, managers of, respectively, Team RadioShack and Garmin-Cervelo
http://road.cc/content/news/33705-l...olved-possible-breakaway-cycling-super-league

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Was Gesink not a Leinders rabo patient?
Gesink joined Rabo in 2006, Leinders left in 2009.
So most probably yes.

hrotha said:
Hey sniper, how about you take it to one of the many JV threads?
This thread (and Gesink's comments) relate more generally to the claim of clean cycling (or a clean generation of cyclists) post-2008.
It's JV's comment on Ricco doping even after some sort of truce was called in 2008 that baffles me. There never was any truce. Or, if there was, why didn't Bruyneel/Armstrong/AC respect it? If Bruyneel didn't respect it, why did JV make breakaway plans with that guy?
The post-2008=clean hypothesis is full of contradictions. Leinders was still doping his riders in 2009, Armstrong, Contador were still doping in 2009, Ferrari, Del Moral, Marti, Celaya, and others will still active in cycling after 2009.

Either the whole peloton is clean (allowing clean guys like Wiggo/Ryder to rise to the top), or are we really seeing clean guys beating doped guys? :rolleyes:

I get the feeling some PR talk (we could also call it new omerta) has been coordinated from within the peloton. How come they all sing the same tune lately? All clean?

But ok, back on topic.
A certain Hrotha said it best.
Godwin's Law for Riccò, please; he's too easy. He [Gesink] should have some balls & talk about some who have damaged the sport lots more.
https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/279516832744996864
Indeed, there are a couple who damaged the sport a lot more than Ricco, and guess what? These others were active in the post-2008 period.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
GJB123 said:
Heck no, if you are one trick pony with OCD, you will do the same trick in each and every thread. Kudo's though on how he managed to work JV into this thread. :rolleyes:

hrotha said:
Benotti wasn't the one who introduced the topic, and he doesn't do it nearly as often as sniper. So yeah, we're being so unfair, right.

what's the problem?
JV is not the voice of "Change Cycling Now".
He's the voice of "Cycling has changed in 2008".
Interviews such as Gesink's neatly fit that mold.
That JV and Gesink both allude to Ricco neatly illustrates what I mean.

There is nothing personal wrt JV, just that he's been most vocal in claiming that some significant change has occurred in 2008 and that GTs are now being won clean. For mere reasons of convenience, as he's been most vocal, I take his abbreviation as symbolizing the "Cycling has changed in 2008"-current, which is the one current I'm taking issue with, and the one current to which Gesink would love to belong. (Bummer he started racing for Rabo in 2006).

sniper said:
But ok, back on topic.
A certain Hrotha said it best.
Indeed, there are a couple who damaged the sport a lot more than Ricco, and guess what? These others were active in the post-2008 period.

Gesink apparently did mention Valverde in that OTHER interview. He was still tweeting pics of him earlier this year, though. Probably from a training ride in Spain... (Sierra Nevada?) I don't recall. They seemed to get on very well.

hrotha said:
Hey sniper, how about you take it to one of the many JV threads?

Id agree for any other thread, but here its kind of relevant since we are shaming the people who pick on ricco and JV is shown to have a quote about Ricco, which as it happens brings about some head scratching.

Well I never knew JV had said that anyway, and Im surprised by it. Ricco continued to dope after a truce was called, really? Like Walsh JV is starting to me to look like someone who bases his opinions on whether his emotions - he wants cycling to be clean rather than on facts. Its like politicians who continue to believe they are going to win even after the polls show they have no chance.

Its a difficult thing when you are so emotionally involved to get your head to consider the possibility that your dreams wont all come true.

Dear Wiggo said:
The pair of you ignoring Benotti or just playing "pick on Sniper"?

Heres some life advice for you free of charge. Dont burn your bridges. In many threads its you 3 against the world. The last thing you want to ask the wolves why they arent biting at 1 of your 2 allies.

Gesink apparently did mention Valverde in that OTHER interview. They seemed to get on very well.
In his book Roche also calls out Valverde, saying that his carnal came 2nd in Catalunya but the guy who won it was caught doping, but in the Vuelta he was tight with Piti.

Maybe Alex gave everyone permission;)

As for Gesink, theres not much to dig into, but he certainatly hasnt made any giant leaps for us to be able to put him in a catergory with Jeanesson and Moncoutie. and his performances have been inhibited by injuries, so cant read too much into those either.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:

Great, another rider / Omerta upholder who beats up on the ONE pro cyclist who has been reduced to whipping boy status. That takes balls.

Also, what "results" did Ricco cheat him out of, anyway?

sniper said:
Poor Ricco.

nah, does not "sound like".

It is pure and utter bs, bovine scatology101

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
what happened to my response? I put a lot of time into that and it was adressed at different people so why was it all deleted?

Next time include a random twitter post, even one you make up and I'm sure it won't be deleted. (psst you can create a random twitter account as well, not sure people actually check that)

TRENDING THREADS