• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gesink Discussion Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
above all he is mentally pathetic. he wouldn;t never achieved greatness with or without the crashes.

That's just bull****. After a broken leg, losing your father and sickness, he won Quebec. Who's talking about 'mentally pathetic'?

Arredondo said:
That's just bull****. After a broken leg, losing your father and sickness, he won Quebec. Who's talking about 'mentally pathetic'?
I'd say he cares too much about what people think of him. Always stressing his results in the past, always saying that he still has what it takes to make it as a GT rider, always criticizing the critics.

Just shut up and let the legs do the talking.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I'd say he cares too much about what people think of him. Always stressing his results in the past, always saying that he still has what it takes to make it as a GT rider, always criticizing the critics.

Just shut up and let the legs do the talking.

He has to say he's totally useluss as a GT rider at the moment? If he says that, people will say he has no 'mental strenght' because he does not show courage and confidence. In the end, he never can do good.

Mollema 6th place in the Tour was good, but if you look to the attention from the media en how the public reacted, it is totally different comparing Gesink 6th place in 2010, where the fans and media in general were more critic and less excited. It's just a bit unfair i think, to put all the stress and crap on Gesink.

About his complaints about the media, you're overreacting. If the papers writing **** of you like 20 times, and eventually you say something, he 'cares to much?' It's good he says something about that, because it shows he has mental strengh, which he 'doesn't have' according to you.

Arredondo said:
He has to say he's totally useluss as s GT rider at the moment? If he says that, people will say he has no 'mental strenght' because he does not show courage and confidence. In the end, he never can do good.

Mollema 6th place in the Tour was good, but if you look to the attention from the media en how the public reacted, is is totally different comparing Gesink 6th place in 2010, where the fans and media in general were more critic and less excited. It's just a bit unfair i think, to put all the stress and crap on Gesink.

About his complaints about the media, you're overreacting. If the papers writing **** of you like 20 times, and eventually you say something, he 'cares to much?' It's good he says something about that, because it shows he has mental strengh, which he 'doesn't have' according to you.
I'm not the one who says he has no mental strength. In fact, that's what I most admire in him: the ability to fight back after so many misfortunes. But it's pointless to respond to media criticism, before you know you're the whining b.tch they said you were to begin with.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I'm not the one who says he has no mental strength. In fact, that's what I most admire in him: the ability to fight back after so many misfortunes. But it's pointless to respond to media criticism, before you know you're the whining b.tch they said you were to begin with.

I'm sorry for accusing you of that, but it's really difficult not responding to media (like the dutch newspaper 'De Telegraaf') who criticize him just for critising. It's easy for us to say he needs to shut up, behind our PC, but in reality it's a little bit more complicated.

Arredondo said:
I'm sorry for accusing you of that, but it's really difficult not responding to media (like the dutch newspaper 'De Telegraaf') who criticize him just for critising. It's easy for us to say he needs to shut up, behind our PC, but in reality it's a little bit more complicated.
The Telegraaf is totally on Gesink's hand right now, in fact he even 'writes' a column for them.

The latter point is moot. Of course everything is easier from behind your PC, but you can see what's going on in the media.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The Telegraaf is totally on Gesink's hand right now, in fact he even 'writes' a column for them.

The latter point is moot. Of course everything is easier from behind your PC, but you can see what's going on in the media.

You haven't read the column of Raymond Kerckhoffs? Don't want to call it pro-Gesink

Of course everything is easier from your PC, but that doesn't make the point more ridiculous. I think we can't judge Gesink on the fact that he responds to the media.

Arredondo said:
You haven't read the column of Raymond Kerckhoffs? Don't want to call it pro-Gesink

Of course everything is easier from your PC, but that doesn't make the point more ridiculous. I think we can't judge Gesink on the fact that he responds to the media.
Well, he seems to be pretty frustrated by them, which affects his racing. He badly wants to prove that he's still the rider he was a few years ago, which I think is not the case, but still... he could be a very good rider in a different, non-GC role.

No I haven't read Kerckhoffs' column. What's in it?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Well, he seems to be pretty frustrated by them, which affects his racing. He badly wants to prove that he's still the rider he was a few years ago, which I think is not the case, but still... he could be a very good rider in a different, non-GC role.

No I haven't read Kerckhoffs' column. What's in it?

If he doesn't recover well, he might indeed change himself as a rider. If you look how he rode in Quebec, he could get nice results in the classics for many years.

I will search the column;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:

his father died like what? 4 years ago? pls get over it already the guy has proven to be mentally weak. he always whine sin media about everything and he can't stand any froms of critics

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
his father died like what? 4 years ago? pls get over it already the guy has proven to be mentally weak. he always whine sin media about everything and he can't stand any froms of critics

Have a nice day...

Weird how so many suddenly started believing in Gesink again just because he won a race in Quebec. It was a decent victory, but nothing special. Certainly not enough to justify the renewed belief in his GT potential. Personally, I don't think outsprinting Vichot makes you a GT contender...;)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
it wasnt just outsprinting vichot though...

he led for most of the final 2km, tiring sagan in the process to the point the guy couldnt even sprint anymore. And in the top 5 there was also a certain world champion. just sayinh

you are over simplifying things maltiv

No one could dispute that Gesink's win in Canada was a very good one but it's the GTs he has to perform in and he hasn't had a good one since the 2010 Tour for one reason or another. Riders like himself, Andy Schleck and VDB will be hoping for a big 2014. They all had problems but hopefully are ready to perform next season.

Personally I think Gesink was on the juice in the past. Recently, he has been defending himself a lot by saying: "You want us to race clean? Then don't criticize our performance."

Adding some things up, I think he will never repeat his past results.

Arnout said:
Personally I think Gesink was on the juice in the past. Recently, he has been defending himself a lot by saying: "You want us to race clean? Then don't criticize our performance."

Adding some things up, I think he will never repeat his past results.

He's only 27 which is young for a road cyclist. Kreuziger showed improvement this year and I never regarded him as a better cyclist than Gesink although after his win at Amstel and his Tour ride, Gesink has some catching up to do. Gesink crashes too much which means he often carries injuries. Some are down to bad luck of course but not all of them. If he is always behind schedule with missed races and training, what hope does he have ? I was happy to see him win in Canada and also the way in which he won.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
He's only 27 which is young for a road cyclist. Kreuziger showed improvement this year and I never regarded him as a better cyclist than Gesink although after his win at Amstel and his Tour ride, Gesink has some catching up to do. Gesink crashes too much which means he often carries injuries. Some are down to bad luck of course but not all of them. If he is always behind schedule with missed races and training, what hope does he have ? I was happy to see him win in Canada and also the way in which he won.

that's not young anymore in cycling. nobody really breakes through anymore at age 27 or near that except froome.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wiggins, Hejsedal, Horner. In other words, 4 of the last 6 gt winners.

Yep, "nobody breaks through anymore at age 27 or near that" :rolleyes:

wiggins, yes. horner broke through at 34 so nowhere near 27. and hesjedal already broke through in vuelta 2006(??) I think until he crashed, he rode with phonak.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Gesink should hire Boobby Dulich, he is great in mental issues.

And now a bit serious.

Gesinks climbing speed/times are pretty consistent over the years, it could be other riders have become faster.

The only issue I have with Gesink is he looks to be too full of himself. He should have sticked with the wheelsucking thing he was so good in in 2008/2009. He somehow got in his head he was a rider who could dictate a course: fail.
Go back to wheelsucking and save your energy, it got Molleman a top 10 in the Tour this year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Gesink should hire Boobby Dulich, he is great in mental issues.

And now a bit serious.

Gesinks climbing speed/times are pretty consistent over the years, it could be other riders have become faster.

The only issue I have with Gesink is he looks to be too full of himself. He should have sticked with the wheelsucking thing he was so good in in 2008/2009. He somehow got in his head he was a rider who could dictate a course: fail.
Go back to wheelsucking and save your energy, it got Molleman a top 10 in the Tour this year.

maybe watch cycling before posting again on a forum of this subject.