• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gian's p*ssed, what's your take?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to see Bjarne snap up Menchov, but doubt he can afford it.
Astana could probably afford him though, and it would make a heck of a lineup for them next year to add DM to the guys they already have. Lots of Russian-speakers on Astana too, would be a good cultural fit.

Beech Mtn said:
I'd love to see Bjarne snap up Menchov, but doubt he can afford it.
Astana could probably afford him though, and it would make a heck of a lineup for them next year to add DM to the guys they already have. Lots of Russian-speakers on Astana too, would be a good cultural fit.

Hmmm... yes good cultural fit. ;) Not sure about the director sportif fit though. I think Riis would be a better DS fit for DM than he could get at Astana. I like to see riders reach their full potential, and I think Riis's program would help DM reach that. Riis has a pretty good history of turning careers around or kicking them off (like JaJa at the end of his career, Hamilton, the Schleck's), or just helping riders maintain an already great career (Voigt, Canc). No wonder Contador jumped at the chance to team up with Riis.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Hmmm... yes good cultural fit. ;) Not sure about the director sportif fit though. I think Riis would be a better DS fit for DM than he could get at Astana. I like to see riders reach their full potential, and I think Riis's program would help DM reach that. Riis has a pretty good history of turning careers around or kicking them off (like JaJa at the end of his career, Hamilton, the Schleck's), or just helping riders maintain an already great career (Voigt, Canc). No wonder Contador jumped at the chance to team up with Riis.

You really think Riis is any better (=more anti-doping) than Gianetti?
Awkward.
Riis must have known AC is a (blood)doper before he brought AC into his team. Claiming Riis didn't know equals claiming Riis is a fool, which of course he isn't.
As Bruyneel has shown, in order to arrange your team-doping-infrastructure, it helps to be a respected ex-rider, and it helps to be a nice and smart guy, or at least to have people think you are.
I'm seeing all sorts of triangles here:
Bruyneel-Armstrong-Verbruggen
Riis-Contador-McQuaid

sniper said:
You really think Riis is any better (=more anti-doping) than Gianetti?
Awkward.
Riis must have known AC is a (blood)doper before he brought AC into his team. Claiming Riis didn't know equals claiming Riis is a fool, which of course he isn't.
As Bruyneel has shown, in order to arrange your team-doping-infrastructure, it helps to be a respected ex-rider, and it helps to be a nice and smart guy, or at least to have people think you are.
I'm seeing all sorts of triangles here:
Bruyneel-Armstrong-Verbruggen
Riis-Contador-McQuaid

No, I don't see Riis necessarily better regarding anti-doping, if that's what you mean. I just think he is better helping riders reach their potential (like the training & racing program for each rider, race tactics, etc). In other words, leaving doping out of the equation.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
In other words, leaving doping out of the equation.

Thats hilarious. Especially considering Franck Schleck wasnt fired for being one of Fuentes customers. That really leaves doping out of the equation. :eek:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
No, I don't see Riis necessarily better regarding anti-doping, if that's what you mean. I just think he is better helping riders reach their potential (like the training & racing program for each rider, race tactics, etc). In other words, leaving doping out of the equation.

with Riis you cant leave doping out of the equation. also if he was such a good DS, why did a third of his team leave for TeamLux?

A good doping doctor helps you reach your possible PED performance max, as we have seen with Riis winning a TDF and others winning 5 & 7 in a row....

Riis probably does with the precision required and tries extremely hard to keep it controlled unlike others who end up getting caught due to not taking this as seriously as it requires. Riders need to be lucky all the time not to be caught, anti-doping only need to be lucky once, just ask Alberto;)

biopass said:
Thats hilarious. Especially considering Franck Schleck wasnt fired for being one of Fuentes customers. That really leaves doping out of the equation. :eek:

Benotti69 said:
with Riis you cant leave doping out of the equation. also if he was such a good DS, why did a third of his team leave for TeamLux?

A good doping doctor helps you reach your possible PED performance max, as we have seen with Riis winning a TDF and others winning 5 & 7 in a row....

Riis probably does with the precision required and tries extremely hard to keep it controlled unlike others who end up getting caught due to not taking this as seriously as it requires. Riders need to be lucky all the time not to be caught, anti-doping only need to be lucky once, just ask Alberto;)

If I could ask AC, I'm pretty sure I'd get "_" in return. ;) You both have good points though. Sooooo, let me ask: Do you think Riis is of no use as a director sportif? Or that he does not have what it takes to get riders to improve without doping? Or (to go one step further) that he should be run out of his DS position?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
If I could ask AC, I'm pretty sure I'd get "_" in return. ;) You both have good points though. Sooooo, let me ask: Do you think Riis is of no use as a director sportif? Or that he does not have what it takes to get riders to improve without doping? Or (to go one step further) that he should be run out of his DS position?

Riis has been a DS in only a PED era, where the PEDs have been central to the performance. He had a bad year this year because of Team Lux going on in the back ground.

His winter training techniques to make the team feel like a brotherhood, yeah if you want to believe that, i bet most would prefer to bond in the cayman islands.

As a DS he didn't handle this year too well. The behaviour of his cyclists in Spain testifies to his DS failing that time. Not being able to hold onto a lot of riders who he supposedly got the best out of. Saxo are/were a decent squad, but i think 2010 was a blot on Riis's CV.

Running Riis out of his position as DS, i can think of a few DS's who i think should go before him.

Benotti69 said:
Riis has been a DS in only a PED era, where the PEDs have been central to the performance. He had a bad year this year because of Team Lux going on in the back ground.

His winter training techniques to make the team feel like a brotherhood, yeah if you want to believe that, i bet most would prefer to bond in the cayman islands.

As a DS he didn't handle this year too well. The behaviour of his cyclists in Spain testifies to his DS failing that time. Not being able to hold onto a lot of riders who he supposedly got the best out of. Saxo are/were a decent squad, but i think 2010 was a blot on Riis's CV.

Running Riis out of his position as DS, i can think of a few DS's who i think should go before him.

If I was on a PT team, I'd certainly rather be in the caymen islands than hugging trees on a cold weather backpack into the wilderness. ;)

I'd also agree on not running Riis out. Especially considering race results this year. For example, Saxo's major results and UCI team rankings this year:
http://www.team-saxobank.com/results.asp?year=2010&lang=uk
RACE (RESULT) RIDER
Paris-Nice (6.) Jens Voigt
T.o. Flanders (1.) Fabian Cancellara
Paris-Roubaix (1.) Fabian Cancellara
Amstel Gold (7.) Frank Schleck
F. Wallonne (9.) Andy Schleck
LBL (6.) Andy Schleck
LBL (9.) Frank Schleck
Giro (7.) Richie Porte
T.o. Suisse (1.) Frank Schleck
T.o. Suisse (3.) Jakob Fuglsang
T.o. France (2.) Andy Schleck
San Sebastian (10.) Richie Porte
Eneco Tour (4.) Richie Porte
Vuelta (5.) Frank Schleck
Lombardia (4.) Jakob Fuglsang

2010 World Rankings complete:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2010-world-rankings-complete
TEAMS
1. Team Saxo Bank 1005 pts
2. Liquigas-Doimo 996
3. Astana 986
4. Rabobank 906
5. Team Katusha 900
6. Team HTC - Columbia 855
7. Garmin - Transitions 839
8. Omega Pharma-Lotto 774
9. Caisse d'Epargne 701
10. BMC Racing Team 661
11. Team Radioshack 621
12. Cervelo Test Team 616
13. Euskaltel - Euskadi 595
14. Lampre-Farnese Vini 535
15. Sky 435
16. Quick Step 325
17. Androni Giocattoli 323
18. AG2R La Mondiale 261
19. BBox Bouygues 231
20. Cofidis 227

BUT Riis's inability to hold riders makes you wonder if he should have been training in the cayment islands.;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He's an idiot just because of his Sastre comment alone. I bet Sastre was just as clean as the clean 1996 Tour he seems to suggest.

His team is build only for the GTS. And ignores every other race. And Sastre is getting old.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:

I think Riis is a hypocrite when it comes the subject of doping.

TRENDING THREADS