• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gilbert and the Tour

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Gilberts Role at le tour

i believe that Gilbert will ride a similar tour as vinokourov did last year. support Vanden Broeck and then target a few stages for personal glory

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Having just read the article on the front page, I've gathered that Gilbret will ride the Tour, and go for the stages that suit him in the first week or two, and then spend the rest of the time working VDB and Greipel.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Having just read the article on the front page, I've gathered that Gilbret will ride the Tour, and go for the stages that suit him in the first week or two, and then spend the rest of the time working VDB and Greipel.

yep, that's what "het nieuwsblad" says as well

From the cyclingnews article

“I want to get the yellow jersey before I retire,” Gilbert said.

If true, and why wouldnt it be, then next year offers him possibly the best chance he could get. Uphill finish, and i think there will be other teams interested in keeping the field together given the TTT the next day and the chance of a yellow jersey for one of their guys there. Given that the world championships dont look great for him it seems an obvious chance.

In 2008 he did the tour having won the omloop het volk early in the season and then won paris-tours at the end. In that TdF he came second on the first stage which is similar to this year's first stage and then took things relatively easily, working for Seb Chavanel in the later stages of flat stages if memory serves me right. This seems a template he could follow again - he wont want to repeat those results in the april classics though. (I know that his planned schedule is different to that on the link below, i mean the general idea)

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=45&year=2008&all=1&current=0

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
heresjason said:
Because the last 2 world Champs have not aimed at July have they......

hushovd?? Nope came back from incredible injury rode his first rcae back in late june in very bad results. and evans also was out of shape in 2009 tour where he sucked incredibly

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
For those who live in Belgium, will Gilbert riding the Tour equal more publicity for Lotto?
Don't think so, a Belgian riding a good GC in the TdF is such big news in Belgium, papers are filled with it in July. I don't believe Gilbert will make any difference here...

I know LBL is not the Tour, but after seeing Gilbert dispatch both Schleck's today at LBL on the ~13% (short) final climb up the St Nicholas I don't see why he shouldn't give it a go at one of the GT's. I'd like to see what he could do. Who knows, maybe he could be the next Merckx or Hinault, or the next closest thing to them that we may ever see.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I know LBL is not the Tour, but after seeing Gilbert dispatch both Schleck's today at LBL on the ~13% (short) final climb up the St Nicholas I don't see why he shouldn't give it a go at one of the GT's. I'd like to see what he could do. Who knows, maybe he could be the next Merckx or Hinault, or the next closest thing to them that we may ever see.

there is a big difference to mountains and the hills in which gilbert excels.
He would do well to never waste his time.

anyway glad he is doing the tour as it should mean he has some form for the nationals. What kinda course are we looking at here?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
+ if you come out the Tour in great shape you'll still have good form @ the clasica San Sebastian, the only hilly classic he hasn't won.

He can win up to 3 Tour stages, take the yellow jersey and win another prestigious hilly classic. I think he'll rather achieve those goals than win for a third time at Paris-Tours.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I hope that his performances the last few days have at least made him curious of how far up the GC he can go. It would be very interesting to see him try. I think between 10. and 15. place is within reach.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
What I found interesting is that Andy couldn't resist whining about how they rode to win as opposed to how Cancellara's opponents rode to ensure that he lost. Now I didn't get to hear the exact question that was asked to know within what context he framed his response but still to me it shows they are feeling the pressure and frustration over their lack of a win this year in Milan San Remo, RVV, Paris Roubaix and the Ardennes inspite of having one of the favorites in all and being hyped as the new super team and then their own hype of "pure racing".

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Gilbert said that he is gonna ride the tour this year.
His main goal is to win a stage and get the yellow jersey.
The first stage suits him very well so i think that he is gonna be the favourite!

Matthijs said:
yes, he should. Thank you for the nice graph, but VDB should really win at least a mountain stage at a minor stage race (Pais Vasco, PN, Romandie, Suisse or something in the smaller Italian or spanish races). So he can be victorious for once, even Gesink sometimes wins ;)
Like this years tour is very important for him believing in himself, he finally needs a real win to believe in him as a champion!

Gesink takes at least 1 victory a season since he was a professional

JvdB has not taken a sinlge professional victory since he became pro.
Gesink might not be a big winner, but he is much more of a winner than JvdB...

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink takes at least 1 victory a season since he was a professional

JvdB has not taken a sinlge professional victory since he became pro.
Gesink might not be a big winner, but he is much more of a winner than JvdB...

You're 100% right. Gesink is much more of a winner than JvdB.
But I'm still hoping he'll take at least 2 victories this year, one of wich in Le Tour, he should go for KoM that'll make him win a jersey + a stage probably. They won't let him ride though when he attacks...

Phille will bring in at least 1 win in the tour

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Gilbert

Does anyone not ask the question as to how Gilbert suddenly becomes so dominant? Have we not seen these magical rises in riders only to have our admiration and respect dashed. It is not a matter of if, but rather, when....

We all know how Contador has done it, we know how Valverde did it, we saw it with Ricco, out of nowhere came Mosquera.......and now Gilbert wins all three of these races...and out duels the lethal pair of Schlecks. C'mon boys....drop the rose coloured glasses and drink some reality juice. I wonder what is in the magic elixir this time? We all wish we were wrong but we do know better. We all love the beauty of this sport but we cannot be so naive.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Chemainiac said:
Does anyone not ask the question as to how Gilbert suddenly becomes so dominant? Have we not seen these magical rises in riders only to have our admiration and respect dashed. It is not a matter of if, but rather, when....

We all know how Contador has done it, we know how Valverde did it, we saw it with Ricco, out of nowhere came Mosquera.......and now Gilbert wins all three of these races...and out duels the lethal pair of Schlecks. C'mon boys....drop the rose coloured glasses and drink some reality juice. I wonder what is in the magic elixir this time? We all wish we were wrong but we do know better. We all love the beauty of this sport but we cannot be so naive.

errrr..

1. gilbert has always been a big talent. his progression has lead to now, i assume his peak.
2. agr fits him like a glove. fleche... the other riders did very little. They basically handed it to him. And lbl, gilbert followed one attack, and then the schlecks didn't even try again to drop him. Obviously he has a better up hill sprint.
Looking back at each race, it wasn't a super effort. It all went perfect for him really. Not that hard to believe, nor any reason for those sort of accusations.
3. http://forum.cyclingnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Chemainiac said:

Actually, the entire board has asked it. You're just late to the party.

Chemainiac said:

...and of course the "lethal" Schlecks are the Polly Purebread's of cycling.:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS