• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 rumours

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
it's a a bit thick. one visit to france per 6-7 years is ok, but not more often. though, even acquarone speaks english. apparently, his goal is to add Giro an international dimension by any means.

Eshnar, what climb is at your user pic? Mortirolo first 18% piece?)

airstream said:
Eshnar, what climb is at your user pic? Mortirolo first 18% piece?)

Its Finestre I think

Eshnar said:
:D
Well there IS risk of snow.
Frankly I didn't think Valloire was gonna pay for the Giro.
It also seems that RCS has now a deal with that area for 3 MTFs in the next years. One is Galibier, the others are Les Deux Alpes and Alpe D'Huez.

Ugh horrible news.

Eshnar said:
Do you really need I tell you why? :eek:

Cos Aquarone is a ****.

Seriously though is it money? The answer is usually money but i dont see why TDf climbs would pay the giro.

The only answer i will accept is if its a trade so that Giro does Galibier and Alpe and Tour in return does Zoncolan and Mortirolo 1 year, and the next includes CDF into its Sestrieres loop.

airstream said:
If one contemplates like that, how many consistent climbers might we count? :)

None of the likely Giro contenders. But I said he wasn't the MOST consistent one. How about this one then:

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=17889

Hesjedal was nowhere. I think Purito is a MORE consistent climber, for one. As was Scarponi, but then again he was consistently mediocre in this year's Giro. :eek:

Eshnar said:
:D
Well there IS risk of snow.
Frankly I didn't think Valloire was gonna pay for the Giro.
It also seems that RCS has now a deal with that area for 3 MTFs in the next years. One is Galibier, the others are Les Deux Alpes and Alpe D'Huez.

Interesting.

Well maybe the Giro will use the nice road ASO have paved for them to do the Sarenne-Les Deux Alpes combo. Of course not though, the route has to be Acquarone'eed.

One of the problems I have with those finishes is that they are too far from the border to make use of the (Fauniera - Sampeyre) Agnello - Izoard run... Just finish in Briancon :( So they would just become typical July stages, Galibier/Croix de Fer.

Funny how they have worked so hard on creating a unique identity, only to submit to the ideologies of Prudhomme/Pescheux.

Ferminal said:
Interesting.

Well maybe the Giro will use the nice road ASO have paved for them to do the Sarenne-Les Deux Alpes combo. Of course not though, the route has to be Acquarone'eed.

One of the problems I have with those finishes is that they are too far from the border to make use of the (Fauniera - Sampeyre) Agnello - Izoard run... Just finish in Briancon :( So they would just become typical July stages, Galibier/Croix de Fer.

Funny how they have worked so hard on creating a unique identity, only to submit to the ideologies of Prudhomme/Pescheux.

It's just one stage per year. As long as the rest of the route is in Italy and uniquely Italian, who cares. Granted though, I didn't realize they were THIS desperate.

Ferminal said:
Not really funny and not even surprising. :eek:
Fact is that the Giro usually mess up the route to some particular reason (reference: 2009). And these kind of deals are made quite often. Let's just remember the deal with the Lienz area that just expired.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
It's just one stage per year. As long as the rest of the route is in Italy and uniquely Italian, who cares. Granted though, I didn't realize they were THIS desperate.

I don't mind that they are going over the border (although it is strange when you have endless opportunities at home!), I don't mind that they are getting a financial bonus out of it. I just don't think we can get very good stages as a result, given that they will be considered as quasi-Queens.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Finestre...

wow, they are not distinguishable from such a foreshortening. i was sure it is mortirolo. :)

Valve.18 (Pithy) said:
None of the likely Giro contenders. But I said he wasn't the MOST consistent one. How about this one then:

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen...p?raceid=17889

Hesjedal was nowhere. I think Purito is a MORE consistent climber, for one. As was Scarponi, but then again he was consistently mediocre in this year's Giro.
consistency within the limits of one gt is a difficult thing. everything may add up and we get the most consistent climber ever. afterall, its the sport of human beings and i don't see anything special in fact that hesjedal lost about 30 sec back then. all the more so it was so audacious ride by purito, probably his best move, without considering bola del mundo.

Ferminal said:
I don't mind that they are going over the border (although it is strange when you have endless opportunities at home!), I don't mind that they are getting a financial bonus out of it. I just don't think we can get very good stages as a result, given that they will be considered as quasi-Queens.
Les Deux Alpes should be fine (that would really be an homenage to Pantani). Anyway I agree ofc.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Mortirolo doesn't have such an open view...

there is the 1st steep sector before riders move into the forest. Basso was throwing away the opposition there in 2006 and Garzelli started fading in 2010. Really very similar. Ok, guys :)

Ferminal said:

Les Deux Alpes via Galibier works for me. Next year's Galibier stage is not bad at all, IMO, though that's a minority opinion around here. And I can live with ONE pointless stage to Alpe d'Huez. It's not like this year's Cervinia stage was any better. An utterly pointless mountain stage that one. Sure, these French Alps stages aren't needed, but I have long since accepted it. Ever since I knew what Acquarone was about, or was hired to do.

I just hope they're done after those three years and won't repeat the cycle, or move on to Morzine, Le Grand Bornand, Tignes, La Plagne, or Courchevel.

It could well be that the yearly French Alps stage is here to stay. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

airstream said:
consistency within the limits of one gt is a difficult thing. everything may add up and we get the most consistent climber ever. afterall, its the sport of human beings and i don't see anything special in fact that hesjedal lost about 30 sec back then. all the more so it was so audacious ride by purito, probably his best move, without considering bola del mundo.

Sure, it can happen. But Hesjedal also damn near lost contact when Pozzovivo won. That was a much weaker moment still. That day he was lucky that no one except Pozzo and Intxausti bothered to attack

Eshnar said:
Not really funny and not even surprising. :eek:
Fact is that the Giro usually mess up the route to some particular reason (reference: 2009). And these kind of deals are made quite often. Let's just remember the deal with the Lienz area that just expired.

Yea, but given that the Österreichrundfahrt has the least imaginative course designers in the history of cycling, and the Giro del Veneto is a one-day race that doesn't go through the high mountains, the Lienz deal didn't mean going through the same climbs that are already overused in at least two major races EVERY YEAR.

It's almost like they'd realised they were becoming the purist's choice, and Patty told them to tone it down, headline acts tend to throw a hissy fit when the support act plays them off the stage.

Ryo Hazuki said:
name me any tour mountainstage fo this year that comes even close to the ones in this giro? the stage 20 alone is harder than the entire tour 2012 course. also wiggins won't gain nearly as much in the mountain itt than in a flat itt.

No, because the flat TT is 55km and the MTT only 19. Wiggins did quite well in this year's MTT's in Paris-Nice and Romandie.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Sure, it can happen. But Hesjedal also damn near lost contact when Pozzovivo won. That was a much weaker moment still. That day he was lucky that no one except Pozzo and Intxausti bothered to attack
probably, it's his querk relating to bad jumping into mountain rhythm as it always was say with Ulle, Vino or early Samu. :) yes, ryder got lucky back then, he could have lost a lot in case the stage had finished on the top of the hill.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Les Deux Alpes via Galibier works for me. Next year's Galibier stage is not bad at all, IMO, though that's a minority opinion around here. And I can live with ONE pointless stage to Alpe d'Huez. It's not like this year's Cervinia stage was any better. An utterly pointless mountain stage that one. Sure, these French Alps stages aren't needed, but I have long since accepted it. Ever since I knew what Acquarone was about, or was hired to do.

I just hope they're done after those three years and won't repeat the cycle, or move on to Morzine, Le Grand Bornand, Tignes, La Plagne, or Courchevel.

It could well be that the yearly French Alps stage is here to stay. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

I'd take San Carlo - Tignes :eek:

TRENDING THREADS