• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 rumours

EDITED:
RUMOURED ROUTE
1 Napoli - Napoli [flat]
2 Ischia (TTT)
3 Sorrento - Ascea Marina [hilly?]
4 Policastro - Serra San Bruno [hilly/sterrato?]
5 Cosenza - Matera [hilly/flat]
6 Mola Di Bari - Margherita Di Savoia [flat]
7 San Salvo - Pescara [hilly?]
8 Gabicce a Mare - Saltara (ITT)
9 Sansepolcro - Firenze [3x worlds circuit]
Rest
10 Cordenons - Montasio [MTF]
11 Cave Del Predil - Erto (Vajont) [hilly]
12 Longarone - Treviso [flat]
13 Busseto - Cherasco [flat/hilly]
14 Cervere - Bardonecchia (Jafferau) [MTF]
15 Cesana T.se - Galibier [MTF]
16 Valloire (Fra) - Ivrea [flat]
Rest
17 Caravaggio - Vicenza [flat/hilly]
18 Mori - La Polsa [MTT]
19 Ponte Di Legno - Val Martello [MTF]
20 Silandro - Tre Cime Lavaredo [MTF]
21 Riese PioX - Brescia [flat?]

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Neither are any good to have in the last 4 or so days. I just hope Val Senales isn't supposed to be one of the "decisive" mountain stages, with Mortirolo and/or Gavia and Stelvio preciding it. Way to waste those climbs, if so.
Nope, Mortirolo or Gavia have nothing to do with Val Senales, don't worry. The option Stelvio is possible but I don't see it happening. That would destroy the race on the Stelvio, and it wouldn't be exactly the best way to celebrate its 60 years :) I'm personally sure that Val Senales will come the day before Stelvio, and will be preceeded by some minor climbs.
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Val Senales is only okay as a transitional 1/2 mountain stage, IMO.......
It is indeed.

Eshnar said:
- There's a rumour about a stage starting in Tarvisio, going through Slovenia, Tarvisio again and finishing in Austria. The finish should be a MTF on a hill (not mentioned) above Bad KleinKirchheim. I don't know that region so I beg everyone has any info to post it.
- If a stage starts from Tarvisio, there's a strong chance they'll do something like Crostis and/or Zoncolan.

That's all.

Going from Tarvisio, if they're going into Slovenia and/or Austria, I'd like to see them do the double of Passo di Pramollo/Naßfeldpass and Passo Canon di Lanza.

If they climb from Italy into Austria, it's 15,4km @ 5,9% (but with a descent in the middle so more realistically two tough climbs - see here) then 13,4km @ 7,2% over Pramollo.

If they climb from Austria into Italy, it's a punishing 11,6km @ 8,1% over Naßfeldpass, then the last 9km of this... which then would give you another small climb before dumping you at Sutrio, to either tackle the easy side of Zoncolán, or the Sella Valcalda and Zoncolán.

I think the rumor mentioned Vrsic in Slovenia.

Edit: and Sella Nevea according to the German translation of Messagero Veneto that I have open.

Tarvisio-Sella Nevea-Slovenia-Vrsic-Tarvisio-Bad Kleinkirchheim-final climb

Edit: although I have to add that the article is from September so it's possible that some plans have changed

roundabout said:
Tarvisio-Sella Nevea-Slovenia-Vrsic-Tarvisio-Bad Kleinkirchheim-final climb

The final climb won't amount to much, presumably, steep but short at best and the Tarvisio-Bad Klein Kirchheim stretch won't feature much climbing. So, another badly designed mountain stage from the looks of it? In any case, the leaked rumors don't inspire much confidence.

Meh, there is a mountain pass > 1700m immediately south of Bad Kleinkirchheim, so maybe the hill top finish will be linked to that. Even so, the Vrsic climb seems wasted. Edit: I'm not sure if the aforementioned pass is entirely paved, so probably not.

Speaking of Val Senales, I'm sure we wouldn't be disappointed by a stage like this.
canvasuq.png

Passo Palade, Passo Castrin, *Unknown climb*, Val Senales. There are just 10 kms of flat before the final climb.
NOTE: The climb before Val Senales is unknown to me, I just found it while designing the stage and decided it was good :D

Eshnar said:
- There's a rumour about a stage starting in Tarvisio, going through Slovenia, Tarvisio again and finishing in Austria. The finish should be a MTF on a hill (not mentioned) above Bad KleinKirchheim. I don't know that region so I beg everyone has any info to post it.

Looks like this "rumor" is legit as Acquarone is currently in Bad Kleinkirchheim.

http://twitter.com/#!/micacquarone/status/154150775726157825

roundabout said:
10km, 400 meters or so for the last climb. Not that much.

http://www.kaernten-radmarathon.at/inc/download.php?file=2

It's still kinda far from bigger climbs

They could do the profile in reverse as the "Rad Marathon" starts and ends in the village, and then do a different hilltop finish just above the village. There's only like 13 km to go after the descent of the Schiestelscharte (2024 m)

o06puo.gif

It could certainly make for an interesting mountain stage. I had never heard of it, but the road over the two 2000 meter passes is quite well-known in the area, it seems. I can't imagine that the Giro won't use them.

Michele said:
Some days ago on a local tv they said that a stage would have start (or finish?) in Vicenza by passing on Colli Berici area.
The last rumours say more:
there will be a stage finish in Vicenza, then a hilly ITT passing through the Colli Berici area, and then a stage start in Vicenza again.
So hilly ITT in the middle of the Giro finally :)
As for the Giro start, rumours seem to favour Ischia TTT.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Ischia TTT will be awsome. I hope they will circuit the island, there is a pretty nice climb. Maybe a bit to long for a ttt. With Zomegnan this could happen, not sure with Acquarone. ;)

TRENDING THREADS