• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 rumours

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Meh, if it's 30 kms long it's not impossible. This year they'll do a similar thing (but flat).

Not sure, if they would go for 30k as a first stage ttt. A ttt with a climb like this and a technical descent would be something new, I guess. I'd like to see that of course. Teams like Euskaltel maybe not. :D

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Great, another TTT to give Liquigas an advantage over Lampre and several other teams. Just what the Giro needs.

Giro 2011 TTT:
1 HTC-HIGHROAD 20:59
2 TEAM RADIOSHACK +10
3 LIQUIGAS-CANNONDALE +22
4 OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO +22
5 TEAM GARMIN-CERVELO +24
6 LAMPRE - ISD +24
7 RABOBANK CYCLING TEAM +26
8 SAXO BANK SUNGARD +30
9 SKY PROCYCLING +37
10 VACANSOLEIL-DCM PRO CYCLING TEAM +37
11 MOVISTAR TEAM +38
12 ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - C.I.P.I +39
13 BMC RACING TEAM +41
14 LEOPARD TREK +42
15 QUICKSTEP CYCLING TEAM +42
16 AG2R LA MONDIALE +49
17 PRO TEAM ASTANA +50
18 GEOX-TMC +53
19 COLNAGO - CSF INOX +1:02
20 KATUSHA TEAM +1:04
21 ACQUA & SAPONE +1:07
22 FARNESE VINI - NERI SOTTOLI +1:07
23 EUSKALTEL-EUSKADI +1:13

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Great, another TTT to give Liquigas an advantage over Lampre and several other teams. Just what the Giro needs.

Havent you heard? Its all Lampres fault. If they trained they would not lose a second to Liquigas because if 2 teams train the same ammount they will finish exactly together.

But instead teams like Lampre, Euskaltel Saxo probably just party all the time and dont want to train.

So its all their fault. And you are a **** because you want to take this very fair discipline away from the fans.

The Hitch said:
Havent you heard? Its all Lampres fault. If they trained they would not lose a second to Liquigas because if 2 teams train the same ammount they will finish exactly together.

But instead teams like Lampre, Euskaltel Saxo probably just party all the time and dont want to train.

So its all their fault. And you are a **** because you want to take this very fair discipline away from the fans.

I'm glad you, like Ed Balls, have had an epiphany today (only 8 days late).

The Hitch said:

But instead teams like Lampre, Euskaltel Saxo probably just party all the time and dont want to train..

exactly;)
that's what they did last year. ttt's are a beauty of this sport especially those that used to be 70-80 km long.

It's a guess, but it's quite close to Bad Kleinkirchheim, difficult enough to match the statements about finishing with a difficult climb, has enough room at the top and a wide enough road leading up.

If the Giro comes to Bad Kleinkirchheim I am reasonably confident that this will be the climb

roundabout said:
It's a guess, but it's quite close to Bad Kleinkirchheim, difficult enough to match the statements about finishing with a difficult climb, has enough room at the top and a wide enough road leading up.

If the Giro comes to Bad Kleinkirchheim I am reasonably confident that this will be the climb
Can you link me that climb on Google maps? I can't find it right now.

roundabout said:
I've read about the idea to have a difficult finish above Bad Kleinkirchheim, but for the life of me now I can't find the original article.

It also seems that the 2013 Giro will indeed be coming to Kärnten

http://ricerca.gelocal.it/messaggeroveneto/archivio/messaggeroveneto/2012/01/18/GO_31_04.html

Yeah, Carinthia has it in the bag. I just read another article in German and it appears that the location isn't yet decided. It doesn't have to be in, above, or near Bad Kleinkirchheim, though that seems like the most likely option at the moment.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
That's a proper MTF, so I'm not so sure. You said they would finish on a "hill" above the village ......was that the exact translation, or did it only say MTF in Italian?
the original article is this.
It mentions a "demanding MTF" literally, that will be in Karnten, for example near Bad Kleinkirchheim. That means there are many options.

Tuttosport's article about 2013 route
It confirms something we already knew and adds something more.
Brief recap:
- Start in Napoli.
- maybe other 2 stages in Campania (Napoli's region). Possibly Ischia and Agropoli. If Ischia is in, I guess that will be the (T)TT and the Napoli stage will be a normal one.
- first week going all the way south, and probly into Sicily too.
- rest day and airplane transfer to Florence.
- "test stage" for WC 2013
- stage in the Appennines. There was a strong rumour for the Carpegna (this is a rumour of mine, not from Tuttosport)
- Stage involving Parma
- Here it says it's not clear if the Giro will go west or east. I think it'll go east.
- On the east, there's the ITT of Vicenza
- MTF in Friuli (Zonc? Stentaria?.... Crostis? :p they name Stentaria though, but it's a very old rumour of Zome times, dunno if it's still valid)
- the stage we discussed going in and out Slovenia and finishing in Bad Kleinkircheim
- dolomitic stage (probly Tre Cime Di Lavaredo)
- Val Senales (They don't say it but as far as I know it's almost official)
- rest day going west (or east if it went west before)
- On the west they foresee the Nivolet (we did know this)
- France. Possibly Briancon. (It states "Not L'Alpe D'Huez")
- If the Giro ends on the west, then it's compulsory a queen stage in Piemonte ;)