• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro 2013 rumours

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's on CN's home now. Should be interesting how they preceed it, if the giro was in august and zomegnan would still be the boss, i'm sure they would descend the galibier and climb col de rosael after that (20km at 10% average, top is at 3000). I expect the stage to be very similar like stage 18 of last year's tour. I think that would be dissappointing

Red Rick said:
It's on CN's home now. Should be interesting how they preceed it, if the giro was in august and zomegnan would still be the boss, i'm sure they would descend the galibier and climb col de rosael after that (20km at 10% average, top is at 3000). I expect the stage to be very similar like stage 18 of last year's tour. I think that would be dissappointing

What the people want from that stage a bigger role for the Agnelo (or whatever the name was). I didn't link to cn because they make it out like the galibier will be the best mountain in giro history

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I never was a fan of overly steep climbing. Riders should ride uphill, rather than crawl, that's why it is great news. To me, a perfect climbs looks like Tourmalet, Grappa or Manghen. Moreover, I was very glad that Zoncolan wasn't included in the Giro this year, because climbs like that should be used probably 1 of 4-5 years and not more often otherwise they inevitably lose their charm and sense of wonder getting something absolutely usual. In addition, an average gradient itself guarantees nothing. Terminillo is a hard climb but we all remember how the stage ended. Afterall, the Giro climbs in the Tour and the Tour climbs in the Giro is an unique mixing of genres, that's excellent from this viewpoint as well. I'm always all for such things.

airstream said:
Moreover, I was very glad that Zoncolan wasn't included in the Giro this year, because climbs like that should be used probably 1 of 4-5 years and not more often otherwise they inevitably lose their charm and sense of wonder getting something absolutely usual.

same here

if they will have again izoard +galibier it would be pretty awesome.how is that easy??the last 8,5 km of galibier from lautaret have 7% at more than 2000 m altitude.that's hard.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Izoard is dead in terms of the perspective to organize MTF there. Maybe Acquarone is brave enough to include Granon though I doubt they can decide to use non-legendary Tour climb.. :(

The Hitch said:
Hang on. i know something about the giro that you don't. well this is a rare moment :p

ill tease you some more gavia is only famous giro climb considered so far and they will be going to vincenzo in honour of campagnolo. also some laps around the Florence worlds.circuit.
first, lol at "vincenzo". The article surely meant Vicenza. And the Giro is definitely going there, I wrote it several times already. :rolleyes:
As for Florence, wrote it already too.
Gavia being the only famous climb considered is basically impossible, since it's surrounded by 121424 famous climbs and you can't avoid them :D. Unless they do a MTT of course.
Finally, this Galibier rumour. It's not gonna happen.
That has the same reliability of Crostis+Zonc+Stantaria combo rumoured days ago.
Reasons for what they're not doing Galibier:
- It's fuc*ing May. Huge risk of snow. Who's gonna clear it?
- Who's gonna pay for this? What town? Why on earth should they go there? They're going to Briancon 90% sure. They won't go to Galibier. Even Alpe D'Huez si more likely than that.

Descender said:
And finishing in Briançon. WIN. :cool:
19a%20tappa%2095.gif

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Stage finishes have a price you know.
Are there local authorities who could desire to pay for a MTF to Galibier? And why could they?

Hm, we don't know for sure, but why not. it's unlikely to be expensive and could be a great promo in the Giro decorations for Galibier. I see more obstacles in RCS' determination to put a decisive MTF in France

airstream said:
Hm, we don't know for sure, but why not. it's unlikely to be expensive and could be a great promo in the Giro decorations for Galibier.
I really don't think that a climb raced almost every year in the Tour needs a promo by the Giro.
(I wish it did though)
Surely the prize is not as expensive as the Tour per se, but you have to take into account spending other money to clean the road off season. And this would be done for just a few fans.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
C'mon a MTF on Galibier will never be decisive in the Giro... :rolleyes:

Oh, my bad. I took your list of rumors like a chronologically correct one. Then it's awful. Apparently Agnello-Izoard will be again. :D

airstream said:
Oh, my bad. I took your list of rumors like a chronologically correct one.
It should be correct indeed. But I'm sure I mentioned a possible queen stage in the western Alps after the French stage. Surely the race won't end in France.
Btw I was referring more to the Galibier being a joke compared to the Giro climbs than to the chronological order.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Susa - Galibier 259 km
Mont Cenis, Iseran, Madeleine, Telegraphe, Galibier

But all this not in May, that's 100 %.
They could go Agnelo, Izoard and Granon. Again, not in May

Galibier in June
2725667.jpg

Eshnar said:
first, lol at "vincenzo". The article surely meant Vicenza. And the Giro is definitely going there, I wrote it several times already. :rolleyes:
As for Florence, wrote it already too.
Gavia being the only famous climb considered is basically impossible, since it's surrounded by 121424 famous climbs and you can't avoid them :D. Unless they do a MTT of course.
Finally, this Galibier rumour. It's not gonna happen.
That has the same reliability of Crostis+Zonc+Stantaria combo rumoured days ago.
Reasons for what they're not doing Galibier:
- Who's gonna pay for this? What town? Why on earth should they go there? They're going to Briancon 90% sure. They won't go to Galibier. Even Alpe D'Huez si more likely than that.

Serre Chevalier (the combined ski area of Chantemerle, Briancon and some other towns) hosted the Galibier stage at the Tour. These towns have more money to spend than Alpe d'Huez I'd say, as the skiing area is much larger. It's one of the larger ski "resorts" in France.

Eshnar said:

The Galibier is a problem, but the Stelvio isn't? Obviously they'll have a back-up plan, like they do this year.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
If the Giro goes over the Galibier before revisiting the Fauniera or the Sampeyre, I'll kill myself.

or at least write strongly worded forum posts

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Serre Chevalier (the combined ski area of Chantemerle, Briancon and some other towns) hosted the Galibier stage at the Tour. These towns have more money to spend than Alpe d'Huez I'd say, as the skiing area is much larger. It's one of the larger ski "resorts" in France.
It still doesn't make much sense. A stage finish in Briancon would be more easy in all meanings...
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
The Galibier is a problem, but the Stelvio isn't? Obviously they'll have a back-up plan, like they do this year.
The Stelvio IS.
In fact, all the Valtellina is paying a lot, as shown by the fact that the stage goes mindlessly up & down through that valley.